Any Asbestos Inside a Warden King Ltd Viking Junior Boiler?

ZacharyP

Post by ZacharyP » Sun. Dec. 27, 2009 7:31 pm

Hello All,

I've been searching for some info on the old furnace my brother just cracked open at my mother's place... Wondering if it would have been manufactured with asbestos inside it.....

It is a Viking Junior Boiler, Manufactured by Warden King Limited. 4 Cast Iron Sections, with BTU ratings for Coal, Oil and gas(?)(Can't recall and I'm not at the house to look at it as I type this) on the plate at the front. It was converted to natural gas from oil roughly 20 years ago.

It was professionally decommissioned, and the guy who put in the new furnace on Christmas Eve(!! :) explained that we could simply take a sawz-all and pry bars to it ourselves if we didn't want to wait unil sometime in Januray to have it hauled away....

SHOULD HAVE CALLED A PROFESSIONAL, to break it down, I know. I'm just hoping that someone on here might be familiar enough with this particular model of furnace to be able to tell me what the fibrous insulation material is behind the lower hatch/plate/door on the front of the furnace.

I've not seen the material myself. It was described to me by my brother, who is now concerned that the material might be asbestos.

Asbestos wrap insuation was removed from several water pipes before the new furnace was put in(no clue if that is relevant at all).

I'm including a photo of the furnace from before my brother took his sawz-all to it.

PLEASE let me know if you can help me with an answer, or suggest a different place for me to post this question.

Thanks you very much for your time.

Merry Christmas & A Happy 2010!

Zach

Attachments

IMG_3623.JPG
.JPG | 61.3KB | IMG_3623.JPG

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Mon. Dec. 28, 2009 7:27 am

The gaskets between the plates MAY be asbestos, but I doubt if there is anything inside the boiler.

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Mon. Dec. 28, 2009 8:40 am

More than likely he either cut into old firebrick or the brick is just falling apart on its own.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Mon. Dec. 28, 2009 10:33 am

If you think there's any asbestos in there, just keep it wet ..... & get rid of it FAST. I know in this state, they'll just about throw you in jail for handling the stuff without calling a pro. :roll:

ZacharyP

Post by ZacharyP » Mon. Dec. 28, 2009 10:48 am

WNY, Samhill & Smitty - THANKS VERY MUCH for your advice. We are now thinking that the gasket was installed a part of the conversion to gas(?) in the mid-to-late 80s, so I doubt they wer using asbestos at that point..... We will get someone in who knows what they are doing for the removal, and will keep it damp in the meantime. THANKS AGAIN & Happy New Year to you all!

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Mon. Dec. 28, 2009 10:53 am

You should be able to cut the tie bolts (Long threaded rods) and break the sections apart with a sledge/pry bar and move them individually. I would assume they are quite heavy..... :)
Good luck.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers Using Anthracite”