Help, Trying to Burn Coal W My Thermo-Control Wood Boiler.

teewill107

Post by teewill107 » Mon. Dec. 07, 2009 10:24 pm

Can someone please help me? I'm trying to burn coal w my thermo-control wood boiler model 500. It's rated to burn wood and coal, but you need to purchase a grate. I bought a grate and need some advise. I want to supplement the wood w coal for a longer overnight burn time. Currently I load the firewood and I'm only getting a 4-6 hour burn time. I would like at least a solid eight hour time. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you Will
Last edited by teewill107 on Sat. Apr. 01, 2017 2:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Moved to Hand Fired Coal Stoves forum.

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Mon. Dec. 07, 2009 10:26 pm

how bout some pics. what kind of air adjustments does it have?

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Tue. Dec. 08, 2009 6:20 am

What size coal are you trying? How full are you filling the stove? etc...are you using the air adjustment UNDER the grates, wood usually requires air over the fire.

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Tue. Dec. 08, 2009 6:48 am

Rule of thumb: If it wasn't designed specifically for coal, you may not get acceptable performance due to the burn chamber design, grate system and underfed air supply.
All forum members will sure do their best to help you out, especially if they can see just what you're trying to do.

Personally, as in life, it's sure hard to be all things to all people, so just in case there isn't a coal solution, remember that the expertise here will get you aligned with a coal burning appliance that will work for you.

Don't feel intimidated about the learning process, no question is to basic, no situation without resolution.
Cool 19 degrees here....hope you are staying warm where you are. :shock:

PS: I've burned a few nuggets over the years, and have never found that wood and coal do not mix well. For me, it was either stay with wood, or change over to all coal. That was in a Memco 100, (eeerrrrrhhhh!!!!!) New Yorker WC 130, a Tarm 202 and an outside homemade creation. The folks that originally designed the coal burner equipment were light years ahead of what we novices of today are. Necessity is (and was) the Mother of invention. :idea: :D

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. Dec. 08, 2009 2:47 pm

whistlenut wrote:I've burned a few nuggets over the years, and have never found that wood and coal do not mix well. For me, it was either stay with wood, or change over to all coal.
I would concur. If you can't get the right grate to burn coal in your appliance, forget it and get a coal burner. You'll have 12 hour or better burn times instead of a struggle.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers Using Anthracite”