Installing DS 1100 Aqua Gem and gravity flow radiant floor heat.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Feb. 07, 2022 6:45 pm

scalabro wrote:
Mon. Feb. 07, 2022 6:41 pm
Keep in mind, and I don’t know if it matters, but automotive thermostats don’t snap open and closed at rated temps. They are very gradual in operation…,
Perfect I’d say for this is a total gravity flow system. No need to “snap open”.
Even electric powered valve are gradual opening.

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Mon. Feb. 07, 2022 6:51 pm

“ I don’t know if it matters”

Chancey P.
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: DS Stoves 1100 Aqua Gem/ Gravity flow radiant heat.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark I
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Nut Coal

Post by Chancey P. » Mon. Feb. 07, 2022 9:28 pm

I was looking into it a little. There is adjustable ones and/or different temp ratings... it's going to be a while before I get to it anyhow. Got other projects going right now. I also have to think about the flow rate through them.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Tue. Feb. 08, 2022 3:14 pm

Flow rate, definitely!

I’m seeing DanFoss items with cv of 2.8. If that works you have an “off the shelf” solution, plus it is adjustable.

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Fri. Feb. 25, 2022 8:41 am

Chancey P. wrote:
Sun. Feb. 06, 2022 9:08 am
I thought there'd be a few that appreciate the update. I love sharing the updates I'm very proud of this system, for now my goal has been achieved. My next step is to insulate the manifolds. I have a 5 degree differential from one end of the house to the other. So I tried taking some 3/4" foam pipe insulation I had lying around and just insulated the supply manifold. It's a cob job all taped up sections still not covered and two lengths put together to insulate the larger pipe. But it was the only thing that improved that issue i'm down to at most a 2 degree differential.

Another concern is that the motorized ball valve is power on power off it's also connected to my high limit aquastat (set to 180). IF something should happen to the power end of it while it is off, battery failure for example. I want to look into getting the power closed spring open controller for that valve. Although what would be cool is if they had a valve like that that used a thermal lock to hold the valve closed and would open if it hit a preset temp for example 180 degrees. So it's not drawing power all the time it's closed... Not sure such a thing even exists but it would be nice. Thought, ideas?
Your whole setup is interesting. I studied different ways of piping before I settled on my primary / secondary system. My system works great. I could not be happier with it. However, your system uses no electric. I actually thought of a system similar to yours, and why wouldn't it work. Because of work & expense, I went with a textbook system. Should I build another house, I know it's possible now. :)

Chancey P.

Post by Chancey P. » Fri. Feb. 25, 2022 11:20 pm

Well, I hope you do someday. I hope you can improve on it and share.

Nayls142

Post by Nayls142 » Thu. Jul. 28, 2022 7:54 am

Forgive me if this was answered already, but how do you bleed air from the system? From the photos, it looks like the hot water supply pipes are below the level of the pex tubing. Are there bleed valves in the pex tubing?

Thanks

Chancey P.

Post by Chancey P. » Thu. Jul. 28, 2022 8:06 am

There are automatic air bleeders at the far ends of the manifolds and an air scoop with an auto bleeder above the expansion tank. Also when I first filled the system, I had a specific process I followed.

bcdex
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: DS 100 Coal/Wood bolier

Post by bcdex » Fri. Jan. 20, 2023 9:54 pm

When adjusting the air intake, do you use the knob on top of the Samson regulator or just move the chain link up or down on the hook?

Chancey P.

Post by Chancey P. » Fri. Jan. 20, 2023 10:01 pm

I use the knob on the Samson regulator. Small adjustments at a time (one or two notches.) Walk away let it even out.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers Using Anthracite”