AHS woc boiler Pricing.

Canaan coal man
Stoker Coal Boiler: Efm 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: A little cubby coal stove in the basement
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove And Nut

Post by Canaan coal man » Thu. Oct. 18, 2018 12:10 pm

Anybody know a rough price for a woc 40 or 55 , boiler with oil gun option? I was wonder how much cheaper they are than stoker boilers like efm (10,000$) and coal gun (7500$)?

And is the oil gun truly auto back up ? for example you start running coal fire low or it goes out and there is a call for heat, dose the gun come on auto to satisfy the aqua stat?

Dennis
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

Post by Dennis » Thu. Oct. 18, 2018 7:59 pm

I have WOC55,never had to use the auto back up,although AHS claims it's fully auto back up. I purchased it in 2008 and think it was around $6500.00 . I'm possibly selling the boiler this year and going to a DF520 stoker.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Oct. 18, 2018 9:32 pm

Some people use their exising appliance for backup, they can be setup to backup automatically.

Canaan coal man
Stoker Coal Boiler: Efm 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: A little cubby coal stove in the basement
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove And Nut

Post by Canaan coal man » Fri. Oct. 19, 2018 8:22 am

From what I have read Hand fired boiler isn’t as efficient as a stoker?

It’s nice to have the wood oil coal soft and hard, option in one boiler I only have 1 flue in my basement. This is why I’m leaning to this model. But 99% of the people that switch from hand fed to stoker boiler say they wish they never went the hand fed route and got the stoker in the first place.

So with those statements I may be better with a 520df stoker. With the oil gun option.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Oct. 20, 2018 10:55 am

It looks like you already have a couple nice hand fired stoves so I would recommend a stoker boiler. That way you have an automatic heating system that requires little attention and a hand fired for when you want something to look at and play with.

Personally, I would never recommend a new EFM. Since the new owners took over years ago, they are pricing there stokers AND replacement parts very high in an effort to get out of the coal business.

I would recommend all of the other auger fed stokers, DS, Van Wert, Gentleman Janitor. And if you want something that is automatic but similar to a hand fired boiler, an AHS or Axeman Anderson.

-Don

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Sat. Oct. 20, 2018 12:43 pm

StokerDon wrote:
Sat. Oct. 20, 2018 10:55 am

Personally, I would never recommend a new EFM. Since the new owners took over years ago, they are pricing there stokers AND replacement parts very high in an effort to get out of the coal business.

-Don

I very respectfully disagree Don. Please forgive me for I do not recall who I had the conversation with a few years ago but I was told that the high price tag was due to the effort to keep the units as heavy-duty as possible. While the other manufactures may have “cheapened” the components a little, EFM stayed the course of using heavy castings and quality parts... thus the high roller price.

With that being said, I also admit that there are two disappointing features of the new EFM’s and these are the throw-away gear box and the boiler base. The base was re-engineered to make it easier to replace part of it in the event of damage but is not built nearly as heavy as the older ones.

Any boiler Don mentioned is a great boiler... I just wish to add that many of those including the EFM 520 can be found as a used unit and remanufactured to a like new state for a third of the price of new. These refurbished units will give decades of dependable service.

I don’t see that you could go wrong with any of these.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Oct. 20, 2018 1:06 pm

CJ, I don't mean to throw anyone off from seeking out a used or refurbed EFM 520. They are very capable machines and do a great job, they are just not my favorite.

I don't know if you get to talk to many EFM dealers but the couple that I know have been saying EFM is deliberately trying to price them selves out of coal boilers for years.

-Don

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Sat. Oct. 20, 2018 2:59 pm

Right and I also agree with the other brands you covered as well... those brands that are not current production units can be refurbished too, a few of those brands you have done yourself and documented the results for us.

I just don’t want to see anyone scared away from a new 520 either. You are right, it is a very expensive proposition buuuutttttttt sometimes the shoe does fit... 😀 Parts availability should not be a problem even if EFM does quit building the 520. I can still get all the parts I need for the 1300 and it has been out of production for decades.

A few years back when heating oil approached $5.00 a gallon there were several brand new EFMs installed in our area and we deliver coal to them. All of these the homeowners have been well pleased with them.

I would never say a new 520 would be the only way to go but just want to make sure it is fairly represented among the others, that’s all. 😀

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Oct. 20, 2018 9:15 pm

Agreed!

-Don

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers Using Anthracite”