AHS Customer Experience Poll (EVEN IF YOU DON"T OWN ONE)

Forum rules
ATTN Business owners: You may advertise your companies coal related products and services for free in this section of the forum. Use the "Contact Admin" link at the bottom of any page or send a private message to Richard S. to become a "Verified Business Rep" so you can start new topics here.

Also note you are encouraged to respond to topics started by other members in other forums about your business. You may also start topics in other forums about your products if they are informational. As an example if you are a manufacturer of coal boilers you may start a topic in the boiler section on how to service it.

How would you rate your experience with AHS?

Loved it!!
42%
Liked it
38%
Just another company
11%
Bad Experience
2%
Would advise others to stay away!
7%

Total votes: 45

jmmazzy

Post by jmmazzy » Wed. Feb. 18, 2009 7:14 pm

Well to say that I am a happy camper I am. I keep my house at 70 and set back at 68 at night for sleeping, burning oil was 65 house an 62 night. Normal heating season 1500 gal., Estamitated coal 8 tons@ $212 ton delivered to Ma. (22.5 tons baged) and right on target, you do the math. I like 70 wife complains to hot, thats why sleeping time is 68. Got a price of oil today of $1.54 a gallon and will topping off my 2000 gal. tank but I don't think I will be burning it for a very long time. I'm I happy with my AHS-130?

Mazzy

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sat. Oct. 29, 2011 6:23 am

Count me among those in the category of those who love it. I'm another well satisfied AHS customer who has to say that the AHS team are quite helpful as well as knowledgeable. The list of the people at AHS who have helped me accomplish a successful and enjoyable install (I love the toasty warmth of hot water baseboards heated by coal) includes Ben Witmer, Jeff Gingerich, Darren Bricker, and Shawn (I haven't caught Shawn's last name yet).

watkinsdr
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S260 Boiler

Post by watkinsdr » Sat. Oct. 29, 2011 9:49 am

My first house in Nashua NH (city) was an all natural gas system with boiler FHW heat and 50 gallon DHW heater---my heating and DHW costs were the least of my worries. When I built my new house in Kensington NH (rural) in 1999, natural gas wasn't an option; unfortunately, I bought into the marketing B.S. about propane: >90% of propane is produced domestically, not tied to the price of Middle East oil in case of war, etc. The system is a 92% efficient, condensing FHA propane furnace and standard 50 gallon DHW heater. The first couple of years weren't too bad with the price of propane; but, in 2006 the price jumped to >$2.00/gallon. Although I first considered going with wood pellets, I quickly dismissed this idea after talking to a couple of wood pellet burners who knew what they were talking about. Being a NEPA expatriot, it was time to start burning anthracite. I bought a Keystoker Koker and successfully heated my house in 2007 thru 2010 for a reasonable cost. I finally plumbed in the Koker's DHW coil in January '09 and started realizing the beauty of cheep DHW too---now I was spoiled. I knew the time had come to pull out all the stops and convert my existing "mickey mouse" system to a "real" system.

With the knowledge gained from this website I decided to go with a boiler last spring. The decision wasn't easy; due to the number of great anthracite boilers out there, but I decided to go with the AHS S130 in March '11. The installation went fairly smooth; although, it was a big job doing all the design and physical work of converting my existing FHA system to hydro-air. I also had to figure out how to re-wire my existing Honeywell thermostats/two zone air damper system so my existing propane furnace now acts as an air-handler; and, converts back to a propane furnace with the flick of one switch. I considered ripping out the propane furnace and replacing with a dedicated air handler; but, the estimates I received from HVAC contractors were outrageous---plus I would lose the propane back up option...

Plus---based on the nasty flyash-moisture corrosion problem I saw with only running the Koker during the heating months (Oct - May), I also decided to start burning 24/7/365 with the conversion to a boiler too. I admit: I was complacent the first year with the Koker. I completely cleaned the unit at the end of the season; but, I didn't wash the Koker down with sodium bicarbonate, disconnect the flue pipe, and add a small heat source (light bulb) to fight basement moisture during the non-heating months. I learned these steps are essential to keep your anthracite burner corrosion under control for the long haul... Live and learn.

I also had a tough time choosing between the S130 and S260. My original decision was going with the S130, knowing the S130 didn't really have enough BTUs for my heat load; but, thinking it would be more efficient running the S130 hard with a high duty cycle; versus, running the S260 and having it idle significantly more. Well this didn't work out well; especially, when I tried heating my pool with the S130. I upgraded to the S260 in July; and, haven't looked back since. Although I've had a couple of hickups with the S260, the S260 boiler is a beast, cranking out the BTUs and completely burning all coal to ash---even when idling. I'm a completely satisfied AHS boiler owner and I'd highly recommend the S130/S260/S500/S1000 to anyone out there looking for cheep heat, DHW, and saying NO to the "MAN." I'd like to single out Darren Brickler at AHS for his great technical support too!!!

ValterBorges

Post by ValterBorges » Sat. Oct. 29, 2011 11:06 am

It can be shipped in two pieces
Now you tell me. :bang:

How does it get put together?

mkapinus
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHSCoalgun boiler s 130

Post by mkapinus » Wed. Nov. 02, 2011 4:36 pm

Our first experience with AHS was at Empire Farm Days this summer in Seneca Falls, NY. We stopped at every heating booth that day and were most impressed by the quality and technology of the coalgun boiler. The rep was very knowledgable and we spent some extra time with them as a huge storm came through and we all ducked under and held onto the easyup canopy so we wouldn't get blown away :)
Finally placed our order two weeks ago, can't wait to see it arrive!

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Nov. 02, 2011 4:45 pm

OUTSTANDING my friend. ;)

Dennis
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

Post by Dennis » Wed. Nov. 02, 2011 8:00 pm

I had a great experience with AHS.This is my second season with my WOC55. Ben replied very quickly,answered all my questions and then some.Brian loaded the 1400 lb. beast into my truck.When we started installing my nephew(plumber) had some questions and Darren answered them.Then when firing up, the oil gun ran for two days,then I started with the coal,and yes I was ready to tear it out untill Jeff gave me all the secrets and I only lost fire 1 time, due to my fault.I would and have recomended AHS

Attachments

014.jpg
.JPG | 135.8KB | 014.jpg

deerslayer

Post by deerslayer » Mon. Jan. 28, 2013 6:54 pm

i did extensive research and chose ahs,contacted company and talked to sean numerous times and was pleasant and informative.ordered the woc 40 approx 2 weeks ago
and was informed no more then 4 week production time,so I still waiting,but so far experience has been good.will repost when unit is done and install complete.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. Jan. 28, 2013 11:14 pm

I did not vote and have never even seen one but after a thread of 40 pages with no response from the maker concerning puff backs I think the term yellow belly could be better applied elsewhere.

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Tue. Jan. 29, 2013 5:40 am

franco b wrote:I did not vote and have never even seen one but after a thread of 40 pages with no response from the maker concerning puff backs I think the term yellow belly could be better applied elsewhere.
There is no current participation from AHS on this forum to my knowledge. The employees who did once participate appear to be no longer with the company.

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Wed. May. 01, 2013 6:18 am

lsayre wrote:
franco b wrote:I did not vote and have never even seen one but after a thread of 40 pages with no response from the maker concerning puff backs I think the term yellow belly could be better applied elsewhere.
There is no current participation from AHS on this forum to my knowledge. The employees who did once participate appear to be no longer with the company.
Their site still has the main page link to NepaCrossroads (someone from AHS should be a member here you would think, even if they do have a large employee turnover rate :cry: ), Im not going to vote, but I have not recieved a call back thus far on my one attempt and I cant find a rep (about to call Dave the LL rep to ask some questions about AHS :lol: but that just seems "wrong" :cry:

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Wed. May. 01, 2013 10:09 am

I don't believe their turnover rate is anywhere near large. Ask for Shawn Mowen, whom I believe is more at the sales end of things, or Darren Bricker, who is more at the technical and design end of things.

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Wed. May. 01, 2013 1:48 pm

When the tech support and sales team is smaller, it is to be expected that you might not get an instant reply. I can assure you that in an emergency, they will be there for you.
I was there a couple weeks ago and can tell you that many questions asked here are being addressed. They are not sleeping at the switch. Stay tuned. I usually don't see brand new units and work with 25 to 35 year old rigs that are rebuilt and back in service in short order. Dave or Matt would be glad to help you out, and THAT is what superior customer service is all about. There are lots of things coming to the market, and some clever additions to what is here already!

What is your question, Doug? Most of us can share an appropriate response most of the time.......except on Politics and Religion!

DarrenAHS
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Sys/Eshland S130
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by DarrenAHS » Fri. May. 03, 2013 10:23 am

Hi everyone wanted to let you know that I've joined the forum. lsayre invited me a while ago. We have spoken many times. I hope that everyone that has contacted or dealt with AHS has had a good experience. I am certainly glad to be able to have a presents on the forum to represent AHS.
Thanks AHS rep.
Darren

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Fri. May. 03, 2013 11:27 am

Welcome aboard Darren!

Return to “Sales Announcements & Other Information From Business's”