Ask Matt From Lehigh Anthracite Coal

Forum rules
ATTN Business owners: You may advertise your companies coal related products and services for free in this section of the forum. Use the "Contact Admin" link at the bottom of any page or send a private message to Richard S. to become a "Verified Business Rep" so you can start new topics here.

Also note you are encouraged to respond to topics started by other members in other forums about your business. You may also start topics in other forums about your products if they are informational. As an example if you are a manufacturer of coal boilers you may start a topic in the boiler section on how to service it.

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Mon. Jun. 13, 2022 9:43 am

Well said tsb!!!!

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Jun. 13, 2022 12:11 pm

Yep----that's a BIG +2

russocw75
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Russo CW 75
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Oil Hot Water

Post by russocw75 » Mon. Jun. 13, 2022 12:17 pm

Truth be told, inflation is not the major driver of the huge increase in fossil fuel costs...including coal. When the demand exceeds supply, costs go up. Everyone is scrambling to gobble up reducing supplies of oil, natural gas and even coal. The immediate problem is Russia. But, this is only an early indicator of what will happen to energy pricing as the world tries to replace fossil fuels with "renewables".

Lehigh appears to be taking this opportunity to try and recover the huge investment required due to operating issues, as well as offsetting inflation. Their pricing will work if there is adequate demand for anthracite that can't be met by other suppliers. As a retail customer, I am willing to bet I can find a supplier, with excess capacity, able to supply my needs at, or near, the cost of inflation. I am not willing to pay $450 per ton.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Mon. Jun. 13, 2022 9:10 pm

tsb wrote:
Mon. Jun. 13, 2022 9:40 am
Matt,
your last few posts are all wrong answers.

Proper answer:
We have had some unforeseen production setbacks and like everyone we are trying to deal with inflation and maintenance support difficulties. We have a good plan in place and will remain competitive in the market.
Best customer service answer ever. :yes:

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. Jun. 18, 2022 7:48 pm

Well Matt, I don't know if you frequent the other threads but there are rumors that Lehigh is backing off on the amount of the price increase. Any truth to it?

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sat. Jun. 18, 2022 8:31 pm

I don't even wanna say it.. but it seems like the big players just wanna sell over seas and to hell with the domestic market. Sorry, it's just the impression I get... And I get it. Money talks, bullshit walks.. first we gut our country of manufacturing by forcing them to other countries, now we're gutting out natural resources to them.. it's f$?#ing disgusting.. but that's my narrow perception of the bigger picture. Prove me wrong....

My solution would be to stop all import and export. Imagine the jobs it'd create and the resources we'd have to do it with.. again just an extremist narrow view of the bigger picture...

Retro_Origin
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1957 Axeman Anderson 130
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat / Pea

Post by Retro_Origin » Sat. Jun. 18, 2022 8:53 pm

We're all adults here, 9/10 things are never as simple as they seem. We all see it in our fields of work where people demand a simple answer to a "simple question". Professionals who give simple answers all the time are full-time fakers.

Russ' point about supply and demand is important as well, plus in the long run, a company does need to look out for their own interests, or they won't be around to help anyone. Is there anything ETHICALLY wrong about upping prices simply because a new (or very large) customer comes along? Are we upset because we're uncomfortable or do we do the same things in our lives and justify it?

It's real easy for us to sit back and whine about our costs going up and all the 'apparently' simple reasons why this shouldn't be, but once we get down to brass tacks (whatever that even means!!) running a business is not a simple product in, product out procedure. There are VERY large variables that play into business decisions, all we see is the front end.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Sat. Jun. 18, 2022 8:57 pm

I'm sure your right Kieth... I'm just venting what I see...

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Jun. 18, 2022 9:05 pm

Not so narrow Lee.

coalfan
Hand Fed Coal Stove: ds circultor1500 \chubby coal stove
Coal Size/Type: nut/ pea ant.some bit.
Other Heating: kerosene\cold nat. gas

Post by coalfan » Sat. Jun. 18, 2022 9:12 pm

THEY AND THAT MATT DONT GIVE A *censored* ABOUT U OR ME PERIOD F THEM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Jun. 18, 2022 9:42 pm

Lightning wrote:
Sat. Jun. 18, 2022 8:31 pm
I don't even wanna say it.. but it seems like the big players just wanna sell over seas and to hell with the domestic market. Sorry, it's just the impression I get... And I get it. Money talks, bullshit walks.. first we gut our country of manufacturing by forcing them to other countries, now we're gutting out natural resources to them.. it's f$?#ing disgusting.. but that's my narrow perception of the bigger picture. Prove me wrong....

My solution would be to stop all import and export. Imagine the jobs it'd create and the resources we'd have to do it with.. again just an extremist narrow view of the bigger picture...
A few thoughts - does the domestic market guarantee a minimum price when there is a slump in demand? I am not just referring to coal, think of nearly any commodity. The answer is normally no - when there is an oversupply in the US, exports is often what allows farms, mining companies, etc to stay afloat.

As for stopping all international trade, that would basically cause the economy to implode. Immediately we would run out of all kinds of important materials and products, and have a huge oversupply of other items that were previously exported. I would love to see manufacturing jobs return to the US, but unless we change the things that pushed those jobs away in the first place, it isn't going to happen.

As for the increases in the price of anthracite, I don't like it anymore than anyone else. I think the best any of us can to is shop around and stock up early.

Retro_Origin
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1957 Axeman Anderson 130
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat / Pea

Post by Retro_Origin » Sat. Jun. 18, 2022 9:57 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Sat. Jun. 18, 2022 9:05 pm
Not so narrow Lee.
For sure, I could be all wrong!
Rob R. wrote:
Sat. Jun. 18, 2022 9:42 pm
As for stopping all international trade, that would basically cause the economy to implode. Immediately we would run out of all kinds of important materials and products, and have a huge oversupply of other items that were previously exported. I would love to see manufacturing jobs return to the US, but unless we change the things that pushed those jobs away in the first place, it isn't going to happen.
Ditto. Ditto. Ditto. International trade is like large scale competition. I'll be driving a Honda till the day I die boys, GM, FORD, and CHRYSLER need that competition to keep them accountable. We'd all be using gasoline if it weren't for the foreign market, 10lbs of rice and away she goes! 38MPG with bad rings and all!

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Sat. Jun. 18, 2022 11:07 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Sat. Jun. 18, 2022 9:42 pm
A few thoughts - does the domestic market guarantee a minimum price when there is a slump in demand? I am not just referring to coal, think of nearly any commodity. The answer is normally no - when there is an oversupply in the US, exports is often what allows farms, mining companies, etc to stay afloat.

Very well put. The more trade in materials, the better, but with tariffs or domestic incentives to prevent us from becoming dependent on anyone for critical stuff. I think it is outrageous that our country is dependent on any other for microchips, for example.

I feel differently about free trade in labor, i.e. letting manufacturers outsource production to sweat-shop countries. I'd rather pay $50 for a pair of pants made by people with jobs in the USA, rather than pay $40 for pants made in Viet Nam and then pay taxes to support unemployed Americans. The problem there is restraining the tendency of US companies to monopolize industries and sell us over-priced junk -- international competition helps overcome that.

The whole thing is very complicated to do right, then you throw politics into the mix and we are screwed.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Sun. Jun. 19, 2022 9:46 am

Point made.. I'll rescind my prior post. But I'm still upset that it seems like our country has become a hollow shell of what it used to be manufacturing wise...
and now we're sending our natural resources out at the expense of us by driving up prices.

But this probably isn't the proper thread to vent, so sorry about that.. carry on ;)

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sun. Jun. 19, 2022 10:27 am

Lightning wrote:
Sun. Jun. 19, 2022 9:46 am

and now we're sending our natural resources out at the expense of us by driving up prices.
That line I like. Nothing wrong with saying what you think.

Much of it caused by other countries getting so green they dont have the ability to survive without an enormous amount of help. It doesnt bother me as much when its friendly countries we are helping but not to the point of hurting our own citizens.

Manufacturing, we dont have enough people that want to work in our factories here to produce what we would need to go it alone. Most people just want easy jobs now. There arent many factories here that arent hiring all the time. So we are stuck with foreign goods, sadly.

Return to “Sales Announcements & Other Information From Business's”