Stock up Early for Next Season,Avoid Agony

Forum rules
ATTN Business owners: You may advertise your companies coal related products and services for free in this section of the forum. Use the "Contact Admin" link at the bottom of any page or send a private message to Richard S. to become a "Verified Business Rep" so you can start new topics here.

Also note you are encouraged to respond to topics started by other members in other forums about your business. You may also start topics in other forums about your products if they are informational. As an example if you are a manufacturer of coal boilers you may start a topic in the boiler section on how to service it.

fifthg
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: warm morning # 500
Baseburners & Antiques: Peninsular Western Hot Blast No.44K and Reading Foundry & Supply Co.

Post by fifthg » Sat. Mar. 29, 2014 8:44 am

anyone going to stock up early(summertime) this year? you will get assured supply and better quality control without winter's hardships placed on producers and dealers.Better pricing,too.

Ed.A
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III/ '94 Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Ed.A » Sat. Mar. 29, 2014 8:50 am

That's my plan

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Mar. 29, 2014 8:52 am

Last year I got a load in August...shooting for July this year. Also making arrangements to store the entire load in an old barn.

anthony7812
Stoker Coal Boiler: VanWert VA 400
Coal Size/Type: Buck/Anthracite

Post by anthony7812 » Sat. Mar. 29, 2014 8:58 am

August this year as I plan now anyway, will be first year with Buck :D ;)

Ctyankee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503 insert
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by Ctyankee » Sat. Mar. 29, 2014 9:51 am

For the past few years, I have been buying a ton more than I know I will need for the year. Now I got a year supply in reserve and will continue until I have a few years as backup. Ya never know what will happen or when...

anthony7812

Post by anthony7812 » Sat. Mar. 29, 2014 9:56 am

Ctyankee wrote:For the past few years, I have been buying a ton more than I know I will need for the year. Now I got a year supply in reserve and will continue until I have a few years as backup. Ya never know what will happen or when...
If I bought bag that would be a plan I would choose. With Bulk the accumulated fines in the bottom of the bin are pretty outstanding at the end of the season, makes for a nice long burn when it hits 50's though ;)

JeepinPete
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM

Post by JeepinPete » Sat. Mar. 29, 2014 11:50 am

I am going to burn 8 tons this winter, and I doubt we will see many winters colder and longer than this one. So my plan is 8 tons before I fire it up next winter :D

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Mar. 29, 2014 1:28 pm

anthony7812 wrote:August this year as I plan now anyway, will be first year with Buck :D ;)
The trouble is you and everyone else shoots for August. ;) Once you get into the later weeks of August guaranteeing you get the summer rate becomes problematic. I used to send letters out each Spring guaranteeing the price on any coal delivered before the first of September. Once I'd get into even the second week of August any orders I was taking came with caveat the price was not guaranteed. Just being honest and I'd certainly apprise them of any increase before delivery.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sat. Mar. 29, 2014 1:44 pm

I'm getting mine as soon as the ground firms up. Late may early june... :D

anthony7812

Post by anthony7812 » Sat. Mar. 29, 2014 1:58 pm

Richard S. wrote:
anthony7812 wrote:August this year as I plan now anyway, will be first year with Buck :D ;)
The trouble is you and everyone else shoots for August. ;) Once you get into the later weeks of August guaranteeing you get the summer rate becomes problematic. I used to send letters out each Spring guaranteeing the price on any coal delivered before the first of September. Once I'd get into even the second week of August any orders I was taking came with caveat the price was not guaranteed. Just being honest and I'd certainly apprise them of any increase before delivery.
Saddly we get no summer time discount in Dushore, at least from the local supplier.

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Sat. Mar. 29, 2014 2:08 pm

I got six tons of Direnzo two weeks ago. Ground was frozen. No problems.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Mar. 29, 2014 3:21 pm

anthony7812 wrote:
Saddly we get no summer time discount in Dushore, at least from the local supplier.
I had a few customers in Dushore, Lopez and on 87. In any event you were either getting it all in the summer or you weren't getting it.... especially with the rice.

The price difference is usually only $5 or $10 per ton but that is compared to the winter price. You might see a $10 to $20 difference over that once the Fall hits.

One of the big things about getting it in the summer is it's usually going to be much cleaner especially if the breaker has hoppers with screens to clean it right before it goes in the truck.

plumber
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Other Heating: Biasi B-4 oil boiler

Post by plumber » Sat. Mar. 29, 2014 6:11 pm

I really got caught with my pants down this year. I usually buy in July, but I went through way more than previous years. I usually buy 5 tons and I got 6 this year. Well I ran out 2 weeks ago, and bought the last 1000 lbs I could find. I've got 400 left and none of the suppliers expect to see more until May. I might be looking for a cheap electric water heater to get by until then. I'm getting at least 7 tons this year.

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Sat. Mar. 29, 2014 7:04 pm

By June at the latest for me.

stovepipemike

Post by stovepipemike » Sun. Mar. 30, 2014 9:25 am

I am about out of the supplemental coal I bought to finish out the season . As soon as the trailer is empty of the compost I will head up to the breaker, fill it , come home, unload to the basement and go back and fill the trailer again . This past winter taught me you just cannot have too much coal in your stockpile. It just seems smarter to avoid the icy salted roads, lines at the breaker and bitter temps if possible plus my hands will actually work in normal temperatures. Mike

Return to “Sales Announcements & Other Information From Business's”