Pine Creek Coal Co

Forum rules
ATTN Business owners: You may advertise your companies coal related products and services for free in this section of the forum. Use the "Contact Admin" link at the bottom of any page or send a private message to Richard S. to become a "Verified Business Rep" so you can start new topics here.

Also note you are encouraged to respond to topics started by other members in other forums about your business. You may also start topics in other forums about your products if they are informational. As an example if you are a manufacturer of coal boilers you may start a topic in the boiler section on how to service it.

PINE CREEK COAL CO

Post by PINE CREEK COAL CO » Fri. Dec. 18, 2009 8:45 am

I'm writing to you from Pine Creek Coal Co. in Spring Glen, Pa. It would be a little bit of a drive for you, but we have a good supply and great quality of coal. Our bulk price is $165.00 a ton. We are also now offering bag coal if you would be interested. The following is our spec sheet, you might find it helpful.

CARBON & METAL TECHNOLOGY LLC
PINE CREEK COAL DIVISION
2525 WEST MAIN STREET
SPRING GLEN, PA 17978

PHONE: 570-682-3976 FAX: 570-682-3602
856-468-6747 856-464-1835

INTERNET: http://www.metalsminerals.com

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<A>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
ANTHRACITE SPECIFCATIONS

FOAMY SLAG-CARBURIZER-WATER TREATMENT-HOME

SIZE VOLATILES % FIXED CARBON % ASH BTU/LB
BROKEN 5.0 87.50 7.5 13,600
EGG 5.0 87.50 7.5 13,600
STOVE 5.0 87.50 7.5 13,600
NUT 5.0 87.00 8.0 13,550
PEA 5.0 87.00 8.0 13,550
BUCK 5.0 87.00 8.0 13,550
RICE 5.0 87.00 8.0 13,550
BARLEY 5.0 86.00 9.0 13,350
BUCK #4 5.0 84.50 10.0 13,250
BUCK #5 5.0 83.50 11.5 13,150

SULFUR * 0.70% MAX * ASH FUSION 2850º F * IGNITION 925ºF * HARGRAVE 38

SIZE IN INCHES SIZE IN MILLIMETERS ASH CHEMISTRY
BROKEN 5 + 3 125 + 75 SiO² 41.57
EGG 3 1/4 + 2 7/16 60 + 80 Al²O³ 38.17
STOVE 2 7/16 + 1 5/8 40 + 60 TiO² 1.06
NUT 1 5/8 + 1 3/16 25 + 40 CaO 4.48
PEA 1 3/16 + 9/16 14 + 25 MgO 2.42
BUCK 9/16 + 5/16 8 + 14 Fe²O³ 3.64
RICE 5/16 + 3/16 5 + 8 Na²O³ 1.31
BARLEY 3/16 + 3/32 3 + 5 K²O 0.98
BUCK #4 3/32 + 3/64 1 + 3 MnO 0.48
BUCK #5 3/64 + 0 0 + 2 ( TYPICAL)

PACKAGING: BULK***BAG***SUPER SACK***PNEUMATIC

THANKS FOR YOUR INTEREST

ohabanero
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Efel Arden giant 084-65
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: modified Gibraltar LCC double door model
Coal Size/Type: Stove nut and pea
Other Heating: Burnham boiler #2 fuel oil

Post by ohabanero » Mon. Jan. 04, 2010 1:28 pm

I wish you guys were a little more CENTRAL pa. I'm paying $202 up here. plus 40 just for a drive down the street!

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post by Yanche » Mon. Jan. 04, 2010 1:50 pm

To Pine Creek Coal ...

Could you please re-post your Anthracite Specifications in such a way that the chemistry analysis is not all jumbled together with the coal types and sizes. It's hard to tell what's what.

I commend you for being willing to post the analysis of the product you are selling, I know of no other coal merchant who has so published on this site.

Iron Bulldog

Post by Iron Bulldog » Wed. Oct. 13, 2010 5:03 pm

I purchased three tons of bagged coal from Down East Coal and Stove that was produced by Pine Creek Coal and so far I have nothing good to report on its quality. The coal as poured from the bag has the consistancy of that of a slurry, it is so wet that the bags have mold growing on them and they leave a trail of water where ever you take them. The sizing of the coal was also very poor there seems to be a lot of sub rice sized particles. I will probably pour the coal out in my garage to give it a chance to dry out a little before I burn it and hopefully reduce the smell of the mold. I have burned coal for three years now and this is the worst coal I have had so far (Blaschek has been the best and Reading second best) I would not recommend this coal for any one who has a stove in the living area of their house unless they don't mind the mess. In the three years that I have burned coal I have never had coal that stained my hands so bad and left them reaking of mold after several washings.

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Wed. Oct. 13, 2010 7:25 pm

Careful dumping out the coal on a concrete floor. It will be a yellow slurry and hard edged mess. You might try to dump out a couple bags at a time, but not on a concrete surface, unless you can rinse it with lots of water before trying to dry it out. Are you sure this coal came wet? , or got wet where and how it was stored? I've gotten the black ooze all over myself a few dozen times.......and sure appreciate the bulk handling. Some folks just can't do bulk, so let's not scare anyone off by finding some water in a plastic bag. The woven bags allow water in also, so there is no easy answer about how to handle bagged coal. I know it is dry when packaged, so somewhere in the delivery/storage cycle, we get water.

I purchased a boiler from coastal Maine that had 4 tons of Pine Creek bagged included in the sale. It burned flawlessly, so I cannot agree with the last post. It was stored in a shed, and was as dry as a bone when I picked it up.

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Wed. Oct. 13, 2010 7:26 pm

Is the whole supply wet?

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Wed. Oct. 13, 2010 8:41 pm

Pine Creek Coal Company,,,, that is some really good coal you are advertising. Real good. Would you back that up with a scanned test report? Other people have supplied them. It looks almost too good to be true. :)

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Thu. Oct. 14, 2010 9:53 am

I really don't think your going to hear from this guys to much Joined Dec 11 2009 Posted 5 times Dec 18 2009 nothing else since . I also would not waste time going there when there are 7 other breakers closer to I-81 Superior coal is up the road from Pine creek Summit Anthracite is 7 miles from Pine creek exit 107 You have one of Blaschak / The Franklin breaker a few miles down I-81 exit 104 then you have Sherman coal co. at exit 112 along with Hegins mining Co. or go up to exit 116 and you have a choice between Schuylkill coal Processing or UAE Harmony Mine about 5 miles past Schuylkill Processing .

Wolverine

Post by Wolverine » Fri. Nov. 19, 2010 5:56 pm

I too recently took delivery of 6 tons of pine creek coal from Downeast coal and stoves. The 1st ton that I opened has been miserable to try to burn, almost a slurry of coal dust and very small particles which seems to fall through the grate in my stoker and cause uneven burns. Of this ton I have had to restart a fire 6 times in less than 10 days, I did try to dry the coal and have ended up with an awful yellow scaly black mess that will probably have to wear off. I cut a plastic barrel in half and fashioned a stove pipe with a duct fan to force air through a quantity of coal (like a grain dryer) but still had miserable problems trying to get a decent burn from this.
I made contact to Downeast 2 times to make them aware of my problems, I finally got in touch with Pine Creek, who had Bob Klinger call me back to discuss the problems. He suggested that I try another ton and see if it works, I have and it does just fine. But what do I do with the JUNK coal that doesn't work, short of building a screen to try to resize this stuff? What will I do IF I have another ton that is as bad. Winter in Maine is not the time to find that your heat source is not working and Downeast knows first hand the difficulty of trying to make a delivery to Weld maine in the Jan.- March. timeframe also they are 3 hrs. away which is why I try to purchase all te coal I will need to get through the winter.
Mr. Klinger did discuss the packaging process at their plant and that perhaps someone operating the loader did not follow their procedure, That person has not made me a fan of the Pine Creek Product, and have left myself and my family in a bad way I have been an advocate of buning coal for 3 years, If this had been my first experience I certainly would have given up.
I feel for Downeast Coal as this may have been their first trial with Pine Creek, But I think that it Is up to Pine Creek to step up to meet my problem and make it right.

crazy4coal

Post by crazy4coal » Fri. Nov. 19, 2010 6:38 pm

They should take back the coal you have and give you a new batch at no cost to you. Anyone that buys from me and does not like the coal can bring it back, If I delivered it I will pick it up and deliver another load for free. In 3 years no one has had to bring back coal because it would'nt burn. I did have some problems with Kimmel's rice coal that had 1 1/2 stone in it. Kimmel's has corrected the problem and I have had no reported stone in the coal. If the dealer you bought the coal from won't help you out then I would be looking for another dealer.

Wolverine

Post by Wolverine » Sat. Nov. 20, 2010 10:30 am

Thank you crazy4coal, I have tried 4 (Centrailia, Kimmels, Reading, Pine creek) coal sources this is the first that I have had difficulty with that left me with such concern. I was looking at some of the "problem stuff" it seems to be very fine and sub sized, I would have thought that finer may burn better or faster, but the powder falls through the plate into the combustion air path and causes a blockage that I must remove with a vacuum cleaner or will need to disassemble the blower and grate assembly. The good stuff which is not too wet and properly sized seems to burn well. Thanks I will contact Downeast and / Pine Creek .

Iron Bulldog

Post by Iron Bulldog » Tue. Jan. 11, 2011 8:08 am

Wolverine,
I know what your going through with this coal, I'm on my third ton of it and its running just as wet as the first, like you I purchased this from Downeast Coal and Stove. To help with the water problem I've made up a set of strainers out of five gallon buckets, I drilled 1/4" holes in the bottom of three buckets and placed them inside three more to collect the water, the three buckets are good for about 100 pounds of coal. I hope you had better luck with your call to Downeast Coal and Stove than I did, they offered no help at all with the problem and even admitted that they have had this coal so wet that it put out their fire before. Next year I'll be purchasing coal from another dealer.

Gojira

Post by Gojira » Sun. Jan. 23, 2011 11:06 am

I just purchased 1/2 ton of Pine Creek Coal from Downeast Coal. I am ready to just turn off the stove and return to using oil at this point. My issue is not with the moisture. I have simply pre-opened the bags so they have a few days to dry out before I put them into the hopper, they are now no wetter than the Reading coal I am used to. My issue is that the stuff just doesn't burn hot. At any given feed rate it produces a fire half that of the Reading coal. The other day I came home to find it running at a FR of 86, which with the Reading coal would have made my living room about 90 degrees. In this case I could not even get the room to 65. The fire was small and dark, the combustion and blower fans roaring away. I removed the Pine Creek Coal as much as possible from the hopper and added a bag of Reading and in an hour or so the FR had dropped to 32 and the fire was at least twice as robust. I too must now seek another supplier who carries Reading coal as this stuff renders the stove useless.

Return to “Sales Announcements & Other Information From Business's”