Stokermatic Stove??

jeremysdemo

Post by jeremysdemo » Sat. Oct. 18, 2008 11:12 am

Hi all, :)

I was given a FIRETENDER heater, and was told it is a pellet stove.
I know virtually nothing about this and did not find much help as of yet on the net.
Thankfully I found this site which seems to possess a group of people with experience and willingness to share. :D

The first thing I would like to a tackle is the motor, which I am told is new, however it is not hooked up, so I was hoping to find a schematic of some kind telling me which wires to connect.
I cannot find the model number, it was written on a silver sticker inside the unit and has since faded.
There are two motors, one on the left of the unit and one on the right, the one on the right us under the feeder and looks like it is hooked up.
The one on the left looks to be the fan motor and has three prongs on it's top side transformer (Carson 4061) labeled 4,3,2.
I have three loose wires with tabs, a red, a blue, and a double black. (Volts 115 Amps15 Hertz 60)
This unit is a living room model with fancy marble on the front and a mantel on the top, there is a handle on the right side that opens a door with a shaft in it, I am presuming this is what is called a self loader, stoker.
I am hoping to post some pictures of it soon, I took a few, one of the front, and one of each motor and the faded model tag.

Once I get the motor hooked up properly and am able to plug it in rest assured it is safe I will tackle the smoke vent.
I have a chimney that used to be a fireplace directly behind where the unit now sits with a hole in it that used to have a pipe for a iron wood stove vent.

I am hoping to have this thing fired up before it gets too cold this year :)

So any and all comments or help is appreciated, looking for a diagram of some kind, or help in determining the model number.

sincerely

jeremy
Last edited by jeremysdemo on Sun. Oct. 19, 2008 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

jeremysdemo

Post by jeremysdemo » Sat. Oct. 18, 2008 12:22 pm

Here are the images I promised.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v253/jeremysdem ... ireTender/

click on the picture to enlarge.

thanx in advanced.

jeremy 8-)

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sat. Oct. 18, 2008 7:40 pm

Hi Jeremy, you might try posting the same photos and requests for help on https://www.hearth.com that site is more about wood burning and pelet burning than this site..we are almost exclusively about burning Anthracite and Bituminous coal.

It's possible that someone on this forum has or had this make/brand pellet burner and can help.

Greg L.

jeremysdemo

Post by jeremysdemo » Sun. Oct. 19, 2008 8:48 am

Thankx

I was under the impression that pellets were coal, well they are rocks, at least the ones I have. :lol:

I thought they were little baby gray pieces of coal, but perhaps they are different bird altogether, :oops:

I am going to mark the title resolved so that no one else has to waist their time responding.

Thanx again

jeremy 8-)

LsFarm

Post by LsFarm » Sun. Oct. 19, 2008 1:07 pm

Well pellet are compressed wood, sawdust compressed into little cylinders. This is what you are burning in it right?? Coal is not man made.. pellets are.

If you are not sure, post a photo of the burner assembly in the stove,, it may be a coal stove,, if you are not sure...

Hope you can find some help and answers..

Greg L

jeremysdemo

Post by jeremysdemo » Sat. Oct. 25, 2008 8:51 pm

Well I am being told over at hearth it is a coal stove....since Firetender manufactures coal stove if you follow the link,.....http://www.peasefeedandcoal.com/Stokermatic.html Also called Stokermatic.

So back to some of my issues, oh this could take all day I have quiet the resume....but seriously folks,,,,,, :lol:

I need a vent pipe 6 inch any suggestions, an elbow would be good to, to go into a brick chimney.

sincerely

jeremy

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sun. Oct. 26, 2008 5:08 am

Hi Jeremy,

It's hard to know without mre photos. Let's see the whole stove, front, side, back. Then a pic or two of the inside of the stove.... in any door, and inside the hopper if it has one. Once we see the doors and inside we can tell you what it was designed to burn. I'm only 6 months into this coal tihng, but it's appearant that over the years, many, many places made coal stoves, some imported... so many in fact that a few are not known even to seasoned coal veterans! But, as I say, with more pics, at least you'll know what it burns for fuel.

jeremysdemo

Post by jeremysdemo » Sun. Oct. 26, 2008 8:58 am

Here are more pics.

Exhaust hole in the back.
PICT0010.JPG
.JPG | 336.8KB | PICT0010.JPG
Manufacturer stamp:
PICT0008.JPG
.JPG | 324.8KB | PICT0008.JPG
Front of stove:
PICT0005.JPG
.JPG | 320.1KB | PICT0005.JPG
Last edited by jeremysdemo on Sun. Oct. 26, 2008 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

jeremysdemo

Post by jeremysdemo » Sun. Oct. 26, 2008 9:00 am

Backside of box, other capped hole (presumably for intake vent):
PICT0011.JPG
.JPG | 331.5KB | PICT0011.JPG
Inside of stove belly:
PICT0012.JPG
.JPG | 332.7KB | PICT0012.JPG
Inside plate:
PICT0013.JPG
.JPG | 344.3KB | PICT0013.JPG
Front of opening door open:
PICT0014.JPG
.JPG | 335.9KB | PICT0014.JPG
Coal Chamber, notice the shiny specks at bottom:
PICT0015.JPG
.JPG | 323.2KB | PICT0015.JPG

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sun. Oct. 26, 2008 11:40 am

You have me beat! But... I'm a newbie. Hopefully someone will come along and be able to answer.

LsFarm

Post by LsFarm » Sun. Oct. 26, 2008 12:24 pm

OK, if it was related to Stokermatic, it is a bituminous coal burner,, and now that we can see the burn chamber I'll pretty much confirm that this is a bituminous coal burning stove..

So, I'll move the thread to the Bituminous site,, and change the title for the thread,, maybe 'berlin' our resident Bituminous expert can shed some light on the subject..

Greg L

charlie
Stoker Coal Boiler: Prill 200 BF
Other Heating: Tulikivi TTU 2700

Post by charlie » Sun. Oct. 26, 2008 6:53 pm

For what it's worth, I'm told that the bit stokers built around here were often shipped east to use as pellet burners.

jeremysdemo

Post by jeremysdemo » Sun. Oct. 26, 2008 10:33 pm

Thanx
That is what I was wondering if it could be converted to a pellet stove.

The pipe inside does not seem wide enough at the end to allow a pellet through it.

Please leave a link to the other thread so that I may continue the preponderances.

sincerely

jeremy

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Sun. Oct. 26, 2008 11:18 pm

hi!

definately a bituminous coal burning stove, probably puts out a decent 40,000btu/hour. It's designed with high volitile bituminous in mind hence the preheated secondary air tube above the burn pot to facilitate better combustion of the volitile gasses and extract more heat. it is designed to feed the fuel through the bottom (nothing but air is supposed to come out of the "pipe" especially not pellets :P ) i'm sure it would burn pellets ok, but not as efficiently as a pellet stove probably would and since you have a wonderful rare piece of coalburning equiptment, why not put it to use as intended, you will save much, much money over burning pellets. the coal it likely requires is "stoker" size: 1/4"x1-1/4" . if you need to find a supplier of coal for your stove, let me know.

jeremysdemo

Post by jeremysdemo » Mon. Oct. 27, 2008 8:17 am

HEY! I have something special! :)

You just made my day :)

Anywho, I am going to need some coal, but I have heard it is illegal to burn that kind of coal here in PA.

The other concern is that I do not have a truck big enough to pick up a ton at a time, and no place large enough to store it either.
Would would be ideal is for me to get 10-15 bags at time somewhere if there is any place within 25 miles of Bethlehem PA you can recomend let me know.

I don't mind paying for the ton, if I could leave it there and come get it as I need it.

Thanx in advanced! WOO HOO! I got's me a keeper! :lol: and good thing to because pellets are not to be found in the vally right now.

jeremy

Return to “Coal Stoker Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”