Stokermatic or Combustioneer Coal Stove Links?

europachris

Post by europachris » Sat. Sep. 11, 2010 1:05 pm

Berlin wrote:yes, it is. with the same results. oil leaks, trashed seals, coal fines in the gear case and oil in the auger tube.
So how do us smart guys fix the design so I don't have to a) pull the gearbox off every year and clean out the auger tube or b) wreck the seal if I don't????

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Sat. Sep. 11, 2010 2:54 pm

well, on my combustioneer with much closer tolerances between the female end of the auger and the auger tube, I welded beads at a steep pitch (much steeper than the pitch on the auger flights, and then ground them down to make a fairly tight fit. This will hopefully prevent fines from migrating back to the output shaft seal, at the least it will substantially reduce the amount of fines that make their way back there. I would suggest perhaps welding some steep pitched flights on that end of the auger so that they encourage fines to move forward not back, and perhaps (if you're good/patient) make them relatively tight to the auger tube; perhaps attach pieces of tire rubber so that you don't have to be so precise.

europachris

Post by europachris » Wed. Sep. 15, 2010 2:00 am

Great idea, Berlin. I like the rubber thought - something to sweep the fines forward away from the gearbox at a rate faster than the auger flighting pitch. Maybe fabricate something using some split shaft collars and just clamp it in place just ahead of the square drive end of the auger and use a fairly stiff, fabric reinforced rubber sheet for the sweeping "flaps"....

MTCOAL

Post by MTCOAL » Wed. Sep. 22, 2010 11:36 am

I take care of two Kiwani hot water boilers that use Will-Burt transmissions for coal delivery. I experienced the same problems you gentlemen are describing when fines take the seal out of transmission. Using 1/8 inch sheeting I cut a 4 inch washer out of the sheeting with a square hole in center that slides snugly over the drive shaft assembly on the transmission. Any fines that are pushed to the rear of the auger are stopped by the oversized washer which protects the seal behind it. Eventually you will have to build a new washer as the fines and moisture will ruin it but it will protect your seal and loss of oil into auger tube. I am considering building the next one out of 1/4 plating which should last longer. I have had no problem by placing this washer on the drive shaft and it has not affected any performance of auger or transmission.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sat. Sep. 25, 2010 9:29 pm

Since the Stokermatic and Combustioneer stoves are Bituminous coal burners.. I'm moving this to the Bit coal forum..

Greg L

Earnest1974
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Fleetline

Post by Earnest1974 » Sun. Feb. 05, 2012 11:17 pm

Hi I have been looking fo one of the units for years now, does anyone on here know of one for sale? I grew up with these units and now that I have moved to northeast PA (honesdale) I would love to have one for heat

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Mon. Feb. 06, 2012 1:11 pm

Ernest, these stokermatics are meant for bitumiunous coal, it would be cheaper to find an anthracite burning coal appliance since you now are in the heart of Anthracite coal country,

Bit coal's price advantage will be negated by the cost of transportation to the NE pa area.

Greg L

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Fri. May. 10, 2013 10:32 am

After researching some other stuff I discovered the owner of Pease Coal in Wyoming (Micheal) http://peasefeedandcoal.com/Winterstar-Millennium.html has Stokermatic parts available because he was a large dealer (willburt transmisions, etc.) so im posting it here for future ref. to others.

Earnest1974
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Fleetline

Post by Earnest1974 » Sun. Dec. 07, 2014 8:36 pm

THis is true I installed my new hand feed coal boiler this year

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Dec. 07, 2014 9:28 pm

Earnest1974 wrote:THis is true I installed my new hand feed coal boiler this year
Fleetline Hand Fired Boiler Model MF-145-185

voodoochylde
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Modified Combustioneer 77b w/1000cfm blower
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Locke Warm Morning 818
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Hitzer 55FA (not currently in operation)

Post by voodoochylde » Mon. Jan. 05, 2015 10:54 pm

Regarding protection of the output shaft oil seal on the transmission - I work in a metal fab shop and sweet-talked our plasma table operator into cutting me a disc from 1/4" AR500. The disc is just a shade over 2.375" in diameter and has a slightly more than 1" square hole centered. As far as I can tell, it works but I have yet to get even a full hopper through mine so who knows for sure...

Return to “Coal Stoker Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”