use bituminous coal in anthracite stokers

RedDevil
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Yes
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yes

Post by RedDevil » Sun. Mar. 01, 2020 7:26 pm

New here and probably an old ongoing question. I cannot find any new integrated stoker/furnace/boilers that use bituminous or sub/bit coal. I grew up burning Utah/Wyoming Bit or sub/bit coal both lump and the one size only stoker coal in Idaho. I have lived in the NE for the past 40 years and am also very familiar with burning anthracite coal from Pennsy. I am moving to North Dakota and know I can get Wyoming stoker coal quite cheaply per ton. I can also get ND lignite although I have no experience in using it. My question: are there really any stoker units (boiler/hot air/fireplace inserts) designed for anthracite that can burn bituminous or sub/bit. I can get an easy and cheap supply of either Wyoming stoker (not sure if bit or sub/bit) or very cheap ND lignite. I am quite aware of the different BTU, clinkering, coking, etc of all of them. Tired of hand-bombing and hope to find a stoker unit that works ok. Thanks for any help or input. Amazed at the knowledge of so many of you that I've read over the years. Excellent. Thanks.

RedDevil

Post by RedDevil » Sun. Mar. 01, 2020 7:55 pm

Any stoker units designed for anthracite that can burn western bituminous or sub/bit. or even lignite? Stoker boiler/furnace/fire place inserts?

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Mar. 01, 2020 8:22 pm

YouTube....

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sun. Mar. 01, 2020 8:44 pm

There is someone building boilers specifically for lignite somewhere near the Center ND lignite mine. If you cant find it online the people at the mine can likely tell you. I know nothing else about it at this time.

Its really a no brainer to burn lignite if you are near those mines. $41/ton vs 300/ton for anthracite or possibly more in ND. Its doubtful those mines will close anytime soon as the air quality in ND is some of the best so no restrictions on power plants there, or not much.

RedDevil

Post by RedDevil » Sun. Mar. 01, 2020 9:14 pm

Thanks for the replies. I can get lignite for 45-50/ton and Wyoming bit stoker for 65/70/ton from Minot. I don’t want to spend a bunch of money for expensive eastern anthracite burners if they won’t burn bit. I’ve seen all the YOUTUBE things I can find of ESMs and others burning bit. But cannot font anything conclusive as if it actually works or not

RedDevil

Post by RedDevil » Sun. Mar. 01, 2020 9:17 pm

I’m more worried about them actually able to burn it without physical damage or other worries than being as efficient than what they are designed for

RedDevil

Post by RedDevil » Sun. Mar. 01, 2020 9:21 pm

Most of the anthracite burners are designed for pea or rice coal. Can’t normally get bit in anything other than standard stoker size. Could cause all sorts of hell. Just asking

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Mon. Mar. 02, 2020 12:09 am

Go to you tube and look for the twentyacrefarm.com videos or type in AHS S130 stoker. He is using an AHS S130 to heat his home and make his hot water using Montana sub bituminous coal in stoker size. The mine he buys it from is ten miles+- from his house. The shallow mined Coal from Wyoming is Sub Bituminous coal.

bksaun
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Legacy SF-270
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503
Coal Size/Type: Stoker/Bit, Pea or Nut Anthracite

Post by bksaun » Thu. Mar. 05, 2020 11:15 am

I had success burning KY bit in a Gentleman Janitor for several years, BUT!!!! The key to it was the proper size coal, I had a supplier able to screen 3/4" coal and it worked well. he sold out and I wasn't able to get that size from anyone else, so I tried 1-1/2" and the fun began, shear pins broken augers ect ect, then I tried slack and it fed ok but couldn't get air through it, so burned up a very expensive grate.
So now I have a Heritage hand fired that burns anything the will fit through the door and the Gentleman Janitor is sitting in the barn. no market around here for it. so just think it through before you dive in. anytime you use equipment beyond its intended capabilities problems will arise.

RedDevil

Post by RedDevil » Fri. Apr. 24, 2020 9:25 am

Warminmn do you have any experience in burning lignite? What kind of bit do you use. Thanks.

Return to “Coal Stoker Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”