BigBarney

carlherrnstein
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: combustioneer model 77B
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker/Ohio bituminous

Post by carlherrnstein » Fri. Feb. 07, 2020 12:47 am

epidioxte wrote:
Sat. Jan. 25, 2020 3:00 pm
Good morning!

I've recently moved into a home with a stokermatic mountain main 85 / warrior 95 and I love the heat... when it works.

My main two issues are that...

1. The motor will continue running but the "feeding-arm" seems to get jammed.
(I'm referring to the long spirally metal thing that feeds the coal from the hopper to the fire)

2. The amount of coke trees I get is ridiculous. I'm pulling out 7 or 8 large ones (larger than my both my fists) a day because they fill the burning area and smother the fire.

Excuse my vocabualary as I have no idea what these parts are actually called.
Welcome,
Your stoker looks a lot like my Combustioneer 77b except for the gearbox. The "feeding-arm" is called a auger or screw. If its not moving there is a pin that has sheared or there is a gear with "summer teeth" you know, summer here, summer there, summer gone. Its probably a 1/8" brass pin do not put a steal pin in its place or it will have summer teeth.

Those are not coke trees, they are clinkers. It is fused ash.

Does this unit have a rotating ring around the tuyere (fire pot) or is it just furnace cement right up to segmented cast iron "bowl"?

clahring
Stoker Coal Boiler: slant fin steam boiler
Coal Size/Type: anything that will go through the auger on my stoker'
Other Heating: also burn wood in same furnace

Post by clahring » Fri. Feb. 07, 2020 1:16 am

You have sheared the sheer pin but is catching at times to make it work once in awhile. It is somewhere between the end of your auger and the small round part that looks black. I have a different stoker but the all work basically the same. Your coal size is just fine. That is not your problem. What you called coal trees are clinkers. Those are normal when burning your type of coal. I take a 5 gallons pail of yet out every morning from my furnace. You might even have to take them out twice a day. I throw mine on my driveway and your car should smash them down.

So your only problem is fining the pin. Mine is the size of a # 6 nail and I just use a nail to replace it and cut it to length with wire cutters.

clahring
Stoker Coal Boiler: slant fin steam boiler
Coal Size/Type: anything that will go through the auger on my stoker'
Other Heating: also burn wood in same furnace

Post by clahring » Fri. Feb. 07, 2020 1:26 am

Sometimes the pins are hiding - under the retainer and you have to take the retainer off to replace the pin.

epidioxte
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Stokermatic Mountainman 85

Post by epidioxte » Sat. Feb. 15, 2020 10:02 am

Found the shear pin under the retainer clip. The clip was caked so much with grease I was almost sure it wasn't there haha.

Actively trying to get the broken Shear Pin out now, it seems lining things up here may be the most difficult part.

Thanks for the help! I'll post another update if I can get this out and get this working.

epidioxte
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Stokermatic Mountainman 85

Post by epidioxte » Sun. Feb. 16, 2020 10:19 pm

Finally got the new Shear Pin in!

For future reference to others with a sheared pin, since the auger was still being turned with friction alone for sometime, it had pulled itself further into the stoker.

Much of my frustration in attempting to align the shear pin was because the auger was almost about 1/2 an inch further in than it should be.

My head is small enough to fit in the housing where the motor is so I pulled out one of the sheared parts stuck in the outer ring by tapping a thin nail around the outer edge and prying it until I could grab it with a needle nose plier and pull it out.

Then I could see through the hole and I just rotated, pulled, and pushed the auger with some pliers until I finally saw the sheared pin in the auger itself. With relief, it was easy to tap it out with a nail and hammer once it was all aligned.

Everything is working and I'm so thankful for the communities help!

Unfortunately now my motor is making some weird clinking noise whenever it turns on... But it runs!

carlherrnstein
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: combustioneer model 77B
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker/Ohio bituminous

Post by carlherrnstein » Wed. Feb. 19, 2020 4:57 pm

The clinking noise could be the auger ticking in its bore. It is a machine so it will make some noise even when everything is working right.

Return to “Coal Stoker Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”