Link to dream job for coal burners

Bubbalowe
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II 2310
Baseburners & Antiques: Grodin Petite
Other Heating: electric radiators until used boiler hook up

Post by Bubbalowe » Thu. Nov. 08, 2018 12:38 pm

www.railarchive.net/firing/

Used to think all it took was a strong back to be the fireman, boy was I wrong.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sun. Nov. 11, 2018 8:34 am

what a fantastic resource. it's going to take "a pair of minutes" to read all the way thru for sure.

thanks,
steve

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Nov. 12, 2018 9:14 am

Thanks, B. Great find !!!!

I started reading some and will read more later. I find it very interesting.

Paul

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Fri. Nov. 16, 2018 5:59 am

I have had the opportunity in my life to be "firemen" aboard two steam driven machines; one being a coal burning steam locomotive when I worked for the railroad, and the other was at the Woodsman Days here in Maine on an old steam powered, but wood boiler, Lombard Log Hauler. On both occasions, the duties were but a mere few minutes.

The first was a complete shock, thinking the diesel consist we were assigned for the day in Chicago had somehow caught on fire. Instead it was a steam train excursion run being done between Chicago and Minneapolis. Being part of the railroad, we were invited on board and got to shovel a few shovelfuls of coal into the boiler. A person does not get to do that everyday!
Steam Engine.JPG
.JPG | 548.5KB | Steam Engine.JPG

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Fri. Nov. 16, 2018 6:08 am

The Lombard Log Hauler was less involved as it was just tossing some sticks of wood onto a fire, but in that situation I got to "drive" the machine on a separate trip. It is put in quotes because I was not the engineer, but rather the steersman. This is NOT a big deal actually. The University of Maine rebuilt this Lombard and used donations and public funds, they therefore feel it belongs to Mainer's and so they give rides in it, and allow the public to steer it. I did NOT get special treatment, so if people are interested in this, go to the Maine Woodsman Days in Maine in October and enjoy the Lombard. Equally there is so much more to see at that event as well as it is set up to be like a 1790 logging camp, with sawmills, blacksmith shops, houses, food, etc.
DSCN4408.JPG
.JPG | 664.4KB | DSCN4408.JPG

Return to “Coal Stoker Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”