Starting from scratch

Smitty275
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Currently a Warm Morning 414 A. Previously had a Hot Blast 1321
Coal Size/Type: To Be Determined
Other Heating: propane

Post by Smitty275 » Sat. Apr. 21, 2018 7:32 pm

As the title says I'm starting from scratch. New house has a crawl space underneath it. So I cant just stick a furnace underneath and pipe to the existing heat plenum and let it do its thing. So I'm considering an outside boiler set-up. Since the house is already built I'm not sure what my best bet is for putting the heat into the house. Floor surface is 40% lenoleum/hardwood sections. The rest is carpeted. Existing heat source is propane hot air furnace. Climate is that of East TN. So some really cold but mostly the lows in high 20s to highs in the high 40s kind of weather and in late spring it goes lows around 30 to highs in upper 60s/low 70s. So it has to be flexible in capacity. House is 1500sq/ft one story.
My first question is what should I look for in a boiler set up? Self regulating to make a load of fuel last as long as possible. How bad does power outages effect a stoker system. Would I be better off with hand load or gravity fed. 90% sure I'll be burning Kentucky bit coal. Though I do have excellent source for hardwoods so I might very well use both.
Secondly what's best method for putting the heat the house? Should I use a heat exchanger in the existing furnace plenum with a second thermostat to run a circulator pump and the furnace fan? That would definitely be the easiest. Or would it be better to run the Pex heating tubing with the insulation boards under the floors down the center of each room? Am I wrong to think it doesn't need to be ran under furniture that sits along the walls? If I did the under floor I could heat with zone valves. Have considered the exchanger first and then add in the under floor as money allows to lessen the initial cash outlay. Plus it'd be up and running quicker that way.
Thanks for any and all constructive input.
Last edited by Smitty275 on Sun. Apr. 22, 2018 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Smitty275
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Currently a Warm Morning 414 A. Previously had a Hot Blast 1321

Post by Smitty275 » Sun. Apr. 22, 2018 3:23 am

I've seen some smaller indoor boilers for sale that would be sufficiently sized. Would building a shed around one of them work as opposed to the expensive outside boilers I've seen?

unhippy
Stoker Coal Boiler: MK2 #1

Post by unhippy » Mon. Apr. 23, 2018 7:31 am

Well i have the "shed built around a boiler" type set up and it works well for me.....as for getting heat into the house your right that the heat exchanger in the main duct would would be the fastest and cheapest 'get me going' maneuver.

When i installed my heating i used european style type 22 convector radiators fitted with TRV's and a constant pressure pump (like a grundfos alpha)....simple system.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Tue. Apr. 24, 2018 10:21 am

Smitty275 wrote:
Sun. Apr. 22, 2018 3:23 am
I've seen some smaller indoor boilers for sale that would be sufficiently sized. Would building a shed around one of them work as opposed to the expensive outside boilers I've seen?
Have you ruled out having a Combustioneer indoors bit stoker warm air stove/furnace?
Since you have a crawlspace it could be located inside the living space, if need be.

They are no longer made but you live in area where these do turn up for sale 'used' sometimes.

There are members here who own these and you may read their threads and ask questions

You would need a supplier w/ 'Stoker size' bit coal for any auger/under-fed burn pot.

Smitty275

Post by Smitty275 » Tue. Apr. 24, 2018 7:00 pm

Yes, I considered that. The wife "un-considered" the idea. So outside it will be.
In reading another thread I realized I could put it behind the house and heat the garage & shop also. So being in a shed isn't really a draw back. Just be that much less grass to mow.

Stewart

Post by Stewart » Fri. May. 18, 2018 3:27 am

Totally worth it!

Return to “Coal Stoker Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”