Combustioneer 77 Need Urgent Help

ghoulio

Post by ghoulio » Wed. Nov. 01, 2017 10:32 am

We think the motor may be bad. About 2 days ago the stove started getting very hot. There was also a smell. It's not a smoke smell but a hot smell. The fire alarms went off and we had to take the batteries out of them. Yesterday the wires on the front of the stove under where the heat blows out apparently burnt off the connector. I'm clueless about these things so that's the best I can explain it. My brother-in-law was an electrician in coal mines and he came and looked at it this morning. We found and downloaded a wiring diagram and confirmed the wiring is correct. He thinks the motor may be burnt up. I have been searching for motors but I can't find one. Can anyone tell me where we could find one? We are in urgent need as we are sitting in a cold house. Also, just an fyi, the house is old and doesn't have insulation so my brother-in-law says if we had to buy a new stove it would have to blow air like this one does or it wouldn't heat the house. Is this true, and if so, where could we get a stove like this and how much would it cost? Thanks for looking into this for us.

Edit: My bother-in-law also said the wires were very hot. He said they shouldn't be.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Nov. 01, 2017 2:31 pm

Is this the fan in question?

For "Drop In Replacements"...Look here: http://www.jonmargear.com/coal-and-wood-stokers/c ... ent-parts/
IMG_1276.JPG
.JPG | 57.8KB | IMG_1276.JPG
Last edited by McGiever on Wed. Nov. 01, 2017 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Wed. Nov. 01, 2017 2:34 pm

First Disconnecting the 77's electric power...Some 3 In One oil in a spout can could be dribbled on shaft plus some spinning CAREFULLY back and forth to work in the oil a bit by hand may get you warm again quickly...It's worth a shot.

Even a Walmart 20" window fan may get you by for just a bit so you can get the REAL Fan.

Not a whole lot of good other than reference, but here is what parts list tells us:
Combustioneer 77 B Parts List.doc
.DOC | 25.6KB | Combustioneer 77 B Parts List.doc
After fan confirmation and some motor tag specs I'd be able to cross reference to a readily available generic replacement fan.

Would need to know theses things:
Description Example

1/20 hp 1050 RPM, 2.0 amps, 115 Volts 60hz.
Shaft: 3/8" x 3" Rotation = Clockwise SE
Belly Band or Stud Mount - Bolt Circle - 4.62"
Sleeve Bearings
Motor Length Less Shaft = 3 1/8"

Please respond. :)

ghoulio

Post by ghoulio » Thu. Nov. 02, 2017 9:45 am

Thanks so much for your response. It was the motor that was bad. We just happened to have another one in the shed we had got several years ago. The stove is working now but sometimes runs forever (like for an hour or more). It doesn't do this all the time but my brother-in-law is saying it shouldn't ever run that long. We need to know what setting the fan temperature switch needs to be set at. He thinks that's what it's called. I searched Google but couldn't find this information. It's a Honeywell switch if that helps. Again, thank you for helping us with this. The parts list and link will be very helpful. Have a good day.

Edit: he also said he thinks the timer may be sticking.

Second edit: This is the switch that extends over the fire box. Need to know which way to turn it to adjust higher or lower. It's set at 80 now.

Third edit: The picture you posted is correct.

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Thu. Nov. 02, 2017 10:54 am

Good, glad you were foutunate to have a fan in the shed. :D

One name for that Honeywell is a 'bonnet switch'

Move it from on at 80* to now be on at 100*.
That should shorten the convection fan on cycle.

You may fiddle with the setting from there to make fan cycle either longer or shorter. :)

carlherrnstein
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: combustioneer model 77B
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker/Ohio bituminous

Post by carlherrnstein » Tue. Dec. 26, 2017 8:30 pm

Sorry I didn't check in I could have helped, My Combustioneer didn't come with a convection fan (it was used) I am a machinist/fabricator so I fit this fan, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000T634HG/ref= ... UTF8&psc=1, to the plate and wired a 15 amp plug to the thermostat. The first fan did go out after a year but, it was a returned fan and it was cheaper, the second fan was a new in box and has 3 years on it now. Also that wire that go's to the overtemp switch will get friggin hot I had to replace it with some high temp wire like is used for heating elements.

Return to “Coal Stoker Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”