EFM Bituminous Boiler Testing Is Next Week

rockwood
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Stokermatic
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Rockwood Stoveworks Circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: Malleable/Monarch Range
Coal Size/Type: Lump and stoker + Blaschak-stove size

Post by rockwood » Tue. Jan. 31, 2012 10:40 am

Berlin wrote:If only EFM had made the auger larger on the 520 (along with a rotating head) they would be able to enter a largely untapped market.
I've often wondered the same thing. Why did they stay with a smaller auger tube when the standard size auger tube has been 3" since the late 1920's..?

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Feb. 20, 2016 11:05 pm

I don't usually dredge up old threads. Seeing StokerMan on line today made me go hunting for a Classic or two,and I stumbled into this Whopper !

You'll find a couple of Soft Coal Stalwarts in here,including that Utah Wildman-aka Rockwood ! Far Western Bruthas are hard to come by !

Stokerman and his Clandestine Bunch of Coal Cronies had something real going on back in the Emmaus Days ! :up:

Feast Your Eyes ! :woot:

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Tue. Feb. 23, 2016 7:27 pm

Don't forget the videos Bob!!!

These are some of the first coal stoker Youtube videos I ever saw.

This is a really good thread. I guess nothing ever came of the EFM Bit Burner though. I guess all those miners don't want to deal with more coal once they get home? Maybe the new EFM was to expensive?

-Don

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Tue. Feb. 23, 2016 9:13 pm

Thanx,Don !

One could conjecture all day on why this didn't go forward,coupled with tanking the Emmaus Holy Ground and having some Good Employees not leave the same area for a job elsewhere. I'd say loss of a valued Owner,coupled with cash issues and Yuppies Heating needs. Results may vary !

rockwood
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Stokermatic
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Rockwood Stoveworks Circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: Malleable/Monarch Range
Coal Size/Type: Lump and stoker + Blaschak-stove size

Post by rockwood » Sun. Mar. 06, 2016 1:22 am

Hambden Bob wrote:You'll find a couple of Soft Coal Stalwarts in here,including that Utah Wildman-aka Rockwood ! Far Western Bruthas are hard to come by !
I still check in here from time to time...not too many of us soft coal burners left out this way but I'll keep doing it as long as I can :)

The videos Don posted reminds me of this old thread from 2010 when stokerman was testing various soft coals from different areas of the country...I shipped a box of coal for him to test.

Utah Bituminous Burning in the EFM DF520

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Mar. 06, 2016 7:19 pm

Wow, I never saw those videos before! It's a shame there not a bit longer.

From reading that little thread, it sounds like the EFM Bit Burner test was a success. It probably needed a little higher feed rate for more adjustability but that is easy enough.

-Don

Return to “Coal Stoker Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”