Will-Burt Model 30 Stoker

Tamecrow

Post by Tamecrow » Sat. Mar. 08, 2008 7:48 pm

Great forum guys!! I have been heating with coal for most of my life. Mostly hand fed. I just picked up a Combustioneer stoker which is a Will-Burt Model 30 for $100.00. The stoker seems to be in good shape with new tuyers still wraped in oiled paper and a worm that could pass for new. The stoker needs to be assembled but everything seems to be there.
I was wondering if anyone had any info. on this model stoker such as an exploded view or any other info. that would help in reassembly. It seems straight foward but since I didn't take it apart a diagram wouldn't hurt. Thanks in advance.

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 1981 efm wcb-24 in use 365 days a year
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Chestnut
Other Heating: Hearthstone wood stove

Post by stoker-man » Sat. Mar. 08, 2008 8:56 pm

Is your model for bit coal?

Tamecrow

Post by Tamecrow » Sat. Mar. 08, 2008 9:16 pm

"Is your model for bit coal?"

Yes it is.

Sting
Other Heating: OBSO Lennox Pulse "Air Scorcher" burning NG

Post by Sting » Sat. Mar. 08, 2008 9:41 pm

100 bucks??? Wow - congrats!

steinkebunch

Post by steinkebunch » Sat. Mar. 08, 2008 10:33 pm

What a deal! Many jealous folks on this forum. You may find some info at the following site:

http://www.peasefeedandcoal.com/Stokermatic.html

Pease Feed and Coal is actually working on getting some of these stokers back into production, or at least parts. If you get a chance, snap some photos to share with us.

Steinke in WY

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sun. Mar. 09, 2008 4:34 am

Hello tamecrow, I'm going to move this to the Bituminous forum where it will get more attention from the bituminous-burning folks.

Forum member 'berlin' has a combustioneer furnace, and also member 'hardwood'. I have an Iron fireman stoker unit, but it is meant for coverting a hand feed boiler/furnace to stoker feed.

Look on Ebay, there have been some manuals for combustioneer stoves for sale.

Also contact the Will-burt company, they may have a .pdf version of the manual they can send you.

And please take some photos and add them to this thread, we'd all like to see your 'super-duper find' That was a DEAL!!

Greg L

europachris

Post by europachris » Sun. Mar. 09, 2008 10:21 am

That is the current, smallest Willburt stoker model, the S30. They have a cut sheet of it available for download on their website.

I will say that I am absolutely sick and green with envy. :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

That is a $4300 stoker new from Willburt. You STOLE that thing.

I have information from Willburt I could send you on the proper installation of the stoker into a boiler to properly burn bituminous coal. Willburt would also just send it to you directly. Call them and ask for Dan.

I've been hoping to score something like that as I live in the heart of stoker coal country. If you decide you don't want it, I'll make it worth your while! :D

Chris

Tamecrow

Post by Tamecrow » Sun. Mar. 09, 2008 4:11 pm

Thanks for the replys.

[quote= Forum member 'berlin' has a combustioneer furnace, and also member 'hardwood'. I have an Iron fireman stoker unit, but it is meant for coverting a hand feed boiler/furnace to stoker feed. [/quote]

Actully the unit I have is the same design as the Iron Fireman and I am going to convert my boiler with it. The only thing on this stoker that has the Combustioneer name on it is the hopper. The rest is all Will-Burt.

I would guess by the look of the furnace green hopper that this thing is from the 40's. The timer is missing ( just 2 wires coming from the motor) and I was wondering what timer would be best suited for this application.

I will post some pics soon.

LsFarm

Post by LsFarm » Sun. Mar. 09, 2008 5:04 pm

Is it sort of like this:
Iron fireman.jpg
.JPG | 22.7KB | Iron fireman.jpg
ironfireman1.jpg
.JPG | 24KB | ironfireman1.jpg
stokeronbwheels.jpg
.JPG | 83.6KB | stokeronbwheels.jpg
stokerashpan.jpg
.JPG | 42.7KB | stokerashpan.jpg

Tamecrow

Post by Tamecrow » Sun. Mar. 09, 2008 5:31 pm

Yes, same idea. Actually I looked at an Iron Fireman last week and almost bought it for $350.00.It is still in service and had extra parts as well. It is in a house that is being converted to oil before being sold. Now that I think of it maybe I should buy it. Which of these 2 stokers would be the most desireable?
Terry
LsFarm wrote:Is it sort of like this:
Iron fireman.jpg
ironfireman1.jpg
stokeronbwheels.jpg
stokerashpan.jpg

Hydronic

Post by Hydronic » Wed. Mar. 12, 2008 4:49 pm

Tamecrow, If I were you I'd keep the Will-Burt stoker, not because it's better than the Iron Fireman but because I think you can still get parts for it. I don't know if Iron Fireman parts are still available. I see that members LsFarm and Berlin have Iron Fireman stokers so perhaps they could chime in on that and help you decide which stoker would be better in the long run.
I don't want to hijack this thread but you are the only other person I have ever come across that has a Viking Junior coal boiler. I am going to start a thread about this boiler. Hope you can share in that thread.

LsFarm

Post by LsFarm » Wed. Mar. 12, 2008 4:56 pm

Hi tamecrow, I'd take a serious look at the Iron Fireman stoker as well.. My iron Fireman is pretty indestructable... I haven't looked at a Will-Burt, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the newer unit to be less heavy-duty than the old unit. Plus I think you could always sell either one for a profit.
With the prices of oil and gas goine ever higher, there will be a market for stoker conversion units.

What size or model is the Iron Fireman ?? MIne is an S-30. It can push 30# of coal per hour.

Greg L

Tamecrow

Post by Tamecrow » Wed. Mar. 12, 2008 6:31 pm

The Will-Burt stoker I have is old. The red tag on the unit says Model 30, not S30. The hopper says Combustioneer but that's it. Everything mechanical is Will-Burt. I would bet that this stoker is every bit as old as the Iron Fireman. I don't have a camera here but will take some pics when I can.
The Iron Fireman is a 30. It has been in use since it was bought new. Lots of hours (years) on it but it works well. The Will-Burt has new tuyeres and seems to have a lot less hours on it. Now I really don't know which one to keep. :?

Hi Hydronic, I will watch for your thread.

Terry

trishlanny

Post by trishlanny » Thu. Feb. 18, 2010 12:46 am

i purchased a model 77 combustioneer , its like new , does anybody have a maual 4 it or any info

Tamecrow

Post by Tamecrow » Thu. Feb. 18, 2010 2:59 am

trishlanny wrote:i purchased a model 77 combustioneer , its like new , does anybody have a maual 4 it or any info
I have a manual for a Combustioneer Mk IV if that's of any use. PM me your email if you're interested and I'll send it to you.

Terry

Return to “Coal Stoker Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”