New to Me Combustioneer 77L9

slinger100
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Combustioneer 77b
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D.S. 1600 circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: Red Cross Ensign 37, Florence Hot Blast 153, Favorite, others
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by slinger100 » Sun. Jan. 22, 2012 7:35 am

Hello, I have just purchased a Combustioneer 77L9 and would appreciate any advice on the dos and donts for this. It is my first stoker and I would like to burn Bit coal. Also living in central Ohio any info on which size coal and where to purchase good Bit would be great. Thank You, Matt

chubs
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: combustioneer 77
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker bit.

Post by chubs » Sun. Jan. 22, 2012 8:03 am

First thing I would do is contact Dan at <[email protected]> and request an owner's manual for your model. You will be looking for stoker coal.

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Sun. Jan. 22, 2012 11:14 am

Hi slinger.

Central fuels in New philadelphia may screen the size you need (pea stoker) but Thompson bros. mining in New springfield carries an excellent pea stoker coal for $105/ton double screened and the perfect size, phone # 330 549 3979

These things will work as a "room heater" but really work best when modified a bit and used as an "add-on" furnace piped into your ductwork. They also work better and save coal when used with a big squirrel-cage blower on the back and a "magic heat" type heat reclaimer on the exhaust. be sure to use a barometric damper and set it to -.04 to -.03 for best operation. Make sure that you leave ample loose ash in the firebox - do NOT clean it when you take out the ash, only take out the clinker(s); if you remove too much loose ash you'll have outfires. I like to set the hold-fire timer on it's maximum setting twice an hour to eliminate the chance of any outfires. don't remove any coke either (the softer porous lightweight black/grey chunks) when you remove the clinker. Set the pulley on the lowest feed setting (especially if you use thompson bros. high BTU (heat) coal). once the stove has been running for a bit, you want the fuelbed to equalize (fuel being burned as fast as it's coming out) at around 6-8" diameter in the center of the firebox. adjust the air so that this happens and you don't have a smokey flame, you really don't want too much more air than is necessary to equalize the fuelbed and provide a smoke-free flame.

slinger100
Baseburners & Antiques: Red Cross Ensign 37, Florence Hot Blast 153, Favorite, others

Post by slinger100 » Sun. Jan. 22, 2012 11:21 am

Thank You. I do intend to use it as an add on furnace. I also have a spare blower taken from an old furnace so I will put that to use. Do you connect this unit to a wall mounted thermostat like a gas furnace? Matt

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Sun. Jan. 22, 2012 12:02 pm

yes, make sure you get one with an adjustable anticipator so that you can prevent temp overshoots in the house. Any other questions, just let us know. let dan thompson know what you're burning it in and ask for the pennsylvania pea stoker, he'll give you the good stuff.

make sure you put an air filter over the fan intake or duct it into your return plenum to avoid any coal ash or dust being blown around your home from the tending of the furnace.

slinger100

Post by slinger100 » Sun. Jan. 22, 2012 12:37 pm

Adjustable anticipator? Is that something that I can buy at Home Depot, or are these types exclusive to solid fuel appliances? Thank You, Matt

Willis
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Combustioneer 24 FA w/ Will-Burt s-30
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Combustioneer 77, Stokermatic
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 520,521
Coal Size/Type: Washed stoker- Bituminous

Post by Willis » Sun. Jan. 22, 2012 1:38 pm

Where in central Ohio are you from? The one thing that you need to check is the condition of you firebox, as Berlin said in a different thread many times these were overfired. I purchased one and didn't notice until firing the first time it was junk. The entire firebox just above the brick was bubbled out and cracked.

Stephen in Soky

Post by Stephen in Soky » Sun. Jan. 22, 2012 2:26 pm

If it's the one from Ebay in his area, it looked like it had hardly been fired.

slinger100

Post by slinger100 » Sun. Jan. 22, 2012 3:25 pm

I am about 25 miles east of Columbus. The stove is in good shape. Matt

Return to “Coal Stoker Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”