Testing of Nova Scotia Bituminous

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 1981 efm wcb-24 in use 365 days a year
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Chestnut
Other Heating: Hearthstone wood stove

Post by stoker-man » Mon. Apr. 26, 2010 3:05 pm

Started testing this afternoon just to get an initial feeling for the coal and to see if it will hold fire overnight with the stoker shut down.

This coal produces clinkers and tomorrow will determine if they are problematic. As of now, they don't seem to be. I quickly determined that with the maximum feed of 11 teeth and 4 air, it burns smokeless. My only concern is that this might be too much air.

The coal, as supplied, is oversized.

This picture is the smoke emitted from the chimney. There is no visible smoke with the proper air setting.
ns-chimney-smoke.jpg
.JPG | 191KB | ns-chimney-smoke.jpg

This shows the start-up fire.
ns-beginning-fire.jpg
.JPG | 180.7KB | ns-beginning-fire.jpg

This shows the fire after burning for an hour or two and when I shut the stoker down for the night to see if the bed would hold a fire without the timer.
ns-end-of-fire-before-overn.jpg
.JPG | 230.6KB | ns-end-of-fire-before-overn.jpg

The video shows the coal burning with maximum feed and 4 air setting. The fire produces no smoke in the boiler and no smoke outside at this setting.

The fire has been out for 16 hours. The fire did not hold and small clusters of clinkers were all that was left in the morning.

The fire was restarted and after it was established, it was left to rest with no stoking for 2 hours to see what sort of clinker would form. A large clinker had formed in the center of the pot, about 4 inches cubic. The fire was restarted and this clinker burned away and turned into normal spent ash.

The large clinker has burned to normal ash.

The air was turned up to 5 to eliminate any smoke. The fire was smoke-free and very hot. The clinkers glowed red, but it wasn't from unburned coal. The heat was about the same as anthracite.

The testing is complete. The fire can be made to burn virtually smoke-free. The clinkers are not small but create no problem. The fire is very hot, approaching anthracite. Very little flyash is created, compared to some other bituminous tested. There were no worm feeding problems, provided the coal was resized by the Toyota breaker.

The clinkers that fall off the edge are about 2 cubic inches and soft.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Mon. Apr. 26, 2010 4:07 pm

stoker-man wrote:Started testing this afternoon just to get an initial feeling for the coal and to see if it will hold fire overnight with the stoker shut down.

This coal produces clinkers and tomorrow will determine if they are problematic. As of now, they don't seem to be. I quickly determined that with the maximum feed of 11 teeth and 4 air, it burns smokeless. My only concern is that this might be too much air.

The coal, as supplied, is oversized.

Pictures and video tonight.
Hi smilies, do you have the name of the compagny producing the coal from N.S.? Do you know if they have nut size? Is it bagged? Thanks for the info. Waiting for the video...
Salutations from Canada

Duengeon master
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark III
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite pea and nut mix. Bituminous lump

Post by Duengeon master » Mon. Apr. 26, 2010 10:12 pm

Also do they have lump for us hand fired users? I will be in Maine tomorrow. Can I get bit there?

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.

Post by stoker-man » Tue. Apr. 27, 2010 6:04 am

You'll have to ask Tamecrow about this coal. I don't have a name or info about it. The forced air is what makes it burn smokeless. Dungeonmaster, there is bit coal right here in PA for hand firing.

Duengeon master

Post by Duengeon master » Tue. Apr. 27, 2010 7:39 pm

stoker-man wrote:You'll have to ask Tamecrow about this coal. I don't have a name or info about it. The forced air is what makes it burn smokeless. Dungeonmaster, there is bit coal right here in PA for hand firing.
I understand about Pa. bit coal. I like to burn coal from wherever I can get it just to see how it burns. It breaks up the monotony of burning the same thing every day. I have burned coal from Pa, Md, Va. Wva, Ky, Oh. In, and Al. I want to try something new. :lol:

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Wed. Apr. 28, 2010 10:27 pm

very nice stokerman. looks like it might burn NS bit ok. Those "clinkers" however, weren't clinkers. they were a good example of bituminous coal fusing together during combustion to form coke. Most bituminous coals are not prone to excessive coke production- if you're getting coke trees (not just little chunks like you showed in the video), you want to do the opposite of what you'd do to fix firepot clinkers - give it more air to burn the carbon.

Tamecrow

Post by Tamecrow » Wed. Apr. 28, 2010 11:51 pm

Very nice indeed. Good job stoker-man. Thanks for taking the time to test the coal.

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.

Post by stoker-man » Thu. Apr. 29, 2010 11:22 am

I'm waiting for anybody to send bit from Kentucky, so I can test that too. :)

Duengeon master

Post by Duengeon master » Thu. Apr. 29, 2010 6:56 pm

I have about 25-30 lbs of Ky bit left. Is that enough for a test? pm me. Rich.

Coal Guzzler
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF 520
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Coal Guzzler » Mon. May. 10, 2010 10:03 pm

After seeing those videos, I realize that I'm fortunate to be living in PA and using PA anthracite.

Tamecrow

Post by Tamecrow » Tue. May. 11, 2010 2:10 am

Coal Guzzler wrote:After seeing those videos, I realize that I'm fortunate to be living in PA and using PA anthracite.
That coal burns to a flour like ash in my Will-Burt, holds a fire for 12 hours and never produced a clinker all winter. I couldn't get it to clinker. Not comparing it to anthracite, but it aint all that bad either. Keep in mind, the 520 wasn't designed to burn bituminous coal, but I bet with a bit of tinkering, it would do fine. I only sent stoker-man 60 lbs. of coal, but I think it did alright for the little amount of coal he had to play with.

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Tue. May. 11, 2010 9:33 pm

I'm didn't get that read right either Tamecrow. From all the tests that Stokerman did it sounds like that EFM 520 would work pretty good in alot of places that have bituminous. We pay 250 and up a ton around here for anthracite. Burning coal that goes for 25% of that would be the BOMB! :blowup: :) :)

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Tue. May. 11, 2010 9:43 pm

You getting 'cheap' on us now, Stroker. It still smokes until it gets up to temp....that won't change. 250 a ton will seem cheap if oil goes to $4.00. Diesel is 3.23 now. :shock: :idea: :roll:

Tamecrow

Post by Tamecrow » Wed. May. 12, 2010 4:29 am

stokerscot wrote:From all the tests that Stokerman did it sounds like that EFM 520 would work pretty good in alot of places that have bituminous.
I agree. And it burns rice and smaller sized coal which is considered waste in the bituminous world. At least it is here. I can get bit that size for $20.00 a pickup truckload, which is around 2 ton using sideboards with an 8' box. I burn ~ 1 ton a month to heat my home, so that would work out to the whopping sum of $10.00 a month to keep my home heated, including domestic hot water. Hard to beat that. ;)

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.

Post by stoker-man » Wed. May. 12, 2010 6:24 am

Want me to get one loaded on the truck? :)

Return to “Coal Stoker Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”