Testing of Nova Scotia Bituminous

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Wed. May. 12, 2010 3:07 pm

Coal Guzzler wrote:After seeing those videos, I realize that I'm fortunate to be living in PA and using PA anthracite.
how do arrive at that from the tests that have been conducted?? so you wouldn't want to burn lower cost, higher btu, lower ash eastern bituminous, which, when burned in a stoker is 99% smoke free?

The only time anyone will see smoke from a bituminous stoker operation (if it's set properly) is right after the stoker kicks off - from the stack you will see some light grey wisps for a few minutes- the rest of the time it's as smoke-free as anthracite. I can also assure you that with most bituminous stokers burning most eastern coals that are screened properly, you will have far less buildup of sooty ash and flyash in the stack than many of the posts I've seen on here with boilers such as the AA. The only issue you'll run into with most bituminous coals in the EFM is that the size of coal required is not a readily available size; bituminous fines can be had, but they're mostly powder, and bituminous pea stoker can be had which is around 3/4" x 1/4".

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 1981 efm wcb-24 in use 365 days a year
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Chestnut
Other Heating: Hearthstone wood stove

Post by stoker-man » Wed. May. 12, 2010 7:40 pm

I guess I should have read this post before I opined in the Nova Scotia post. You answered my questions.

Return to “Coal Stoker Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”