Stoker Question?

wyowa

Post by wyowa » Sat. Feb. 27, 2010 6:01 pm

Hi, During the mild days my stove will stop running around 10 in the morning and not run again till late in the evening.I know that the coal is just smoldering in the fire ring ,but this a long time between runs and I wonder if the fire is slowly moving up the auger tube as its smolders till next run. has anybody heard of this happening in other stokers . thanks

Short Bus
Stoker Coal Boiler: Kewanee boiler with Anchor stoker
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut / Sub-bituminous C
Other Heating: Propane wall furnace back up only

Post by Short Bus » Sat. Feb. 27, 2010 6:06 pm

I have a traditional bituminus underfeed stoker by Anchor, and I've unplugged it and gone to town for 72 hours, and returned and pluged it in to get some coal up so I could light a fire and it was still burning ready to go, after one week it was out, just to long.

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Sat. Feb. 27, 2010 6:19 pm

unless you have a draft leak around the hopper cover it will only burn down in the pot, but not into the auger tube. Every stoker I've ever encountered has a "hold fire" timer to not only keep it from burning too low, but also ensure that it doesn't go out between calls for heat. It would appear that yours doesn't have that.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sun. Feb. 28, 2010 8:53 am

Hi Wyoma, You can add a one-hour timer to the stoker circuit, set it to run for one or two minutes every hour, or one minute every 30 minutes to keep some fresh coal in the pot.. but, if it is staying lit, and you don't have air coming down the auger tube [the fire will move toward an air source] then maybe you don't need the timer??

Greg L

wyowa

Post by wyowa » Sun. Feb. 28, 2010 3:41 pm

Hi, So far its stays lit , I have had it still be ok up to 12 hours between runs. I get smoke from auger tube when its relighting so I have had to seal the bin, but this has not affeceted to smolder time at all. I can I just need to find a Timer I can put in to the thermostatic circuit

rockwood
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Stokermatic
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Rockwood Stoveworks Circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: Malleable/Monarch Range
Coal Size/Type: Lump and stoker + Blaschak-stove size

Post by rockwood » Sun. Feb. 28, 2010 4:04 pm

Are you sure it isn't running? As I remember your stoker is in the garage where you might not hear the stoker/FD fan running for only a few minutes every hour...?

wyowa

Post by wyowa » Sun. Feb. 28, 2010 6:27 pm

I suppose it could be, however I cant find a timer anywhere on the unit, only has hi low limits and a relay box, unless thats it. small light blue plastic box that the limit switches and theromstat wires run in to. I guess I will just have to keep an eye on it during warmer weather to see for sure. Thanks for the help.

Return to “Coal Stoker Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”