Lignite Test in the 520

pozarns

Post by pozarns » Tue. Mar. 02, 2010 2:17 pm

We have 2 pulverized coal fed 600MW units. Each boiler is fed from 8 pulverizers(coal is pulverized into powder, and then blown in with forced air)

-Jared

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Tue. Mar. 02, 2010 2:58 pm

pozarns wrote:We have 2 pulverized coal fed 600MW units. Each boiler is fed from 8 pulverizers(coal is pulverized into powder, and then blown in with forced air)

-Jared
Welcome to the coal forum Jared. Wow, any chance you could post a few pics of those units?

Tamecrow

Post by Tamecrow » Tue. Mar. 02, 2010 6:58 pm

pozarns wrote:We have 2 pulverized coal fed 600MW units. Each boiler is fed from 8 pulverizers(coal is pulverized into powder, and then blown in with forced air)
GM manufactured Cadillac prototypes that burned powdered coal in the late 70's. :shock:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/04/automobiles/04COAL.html

http://books.google.ca/books?id=ldgDAAAAMBAJ&pg=P ... ar&f=false

Terry

pozarns

Post by pozarns » Wed. Mar. 03, 2010 11:55 am

Here is a site where there are some pictures of our plant, and also is a link to an article on our dryfining project out here.

-Jared

http://www.swce.coop/coalcreekphotos2007.php

http://bismarcktribune.com/news/state-and-regiona ... 002e0.html

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Thu. Mar. 04, 2010 4:32 pm

stoker-man wrote:The dried lignite is rated at 7000 BTU per pound, about the same as the wood pellet/corn mixture used in the Summer. I suspected that it was about the same. After burning for one hour straight, the total ash is less than a quart, burning at 11 teeth feed rate. I'll continue to burn the rest of the coal, about 13 gallons worth and measure the ash. I don't notice any sooting inside the boiler, but I'm sure the flyash is building up. There is no clinkering whatsoever and the ash is a fine white wood-like ash. As shown in the video, the coal pyramids and falls outward to the outer edge where it is almost immediately burned up.

The first video shows the burning fire in the 520 stoker

The second video shows that there is very little or no smoke at the chimney

This picture shows the flyash produced with the boiler running at full feed capacity, 22# per hour (anthracite weight) and the air setting at 4.
Lignite-experiment-flyash.jpg
This picture shows the lignite sample sent to us and is barely more than dust. Surprisingly, the dried sample cranks as easily in an 11 foot coal tube as does anthracite.
Lignite-experiment-coal.jpg
This picture shows the ash ring after burning all day.
Lignite-experiment-ash-ring.jpg
This picture shows the ash. It's as fine as sand.
Lignite-experiment-ash.jpg
At the end of the day, with about 120 pounds of lignite burned, the quantity of ash weighed 4 pounds and displaced about a gallon sized container, compared to about 13 gallons of original lignite.

The only comments I would add are that it is not easy to start a lignite fire. Some accelerant, such as kindling or wood pellets are needed and the flue pipes should be able to be easily undone for flyash cleaning. There was no problem with the fire going out with a 30 minute rest, so the timer should take care of that. Even though the lignite easily fed through the 11 foot pipe/auger, a shorter worm will reduce the chances of breaking sheer pins. Dry lignite is a must!
2.5Lbs Per hr is the feed rate per tooth with rice coal so 10 teeth max would be 25lbs per hr with buckwheat size coal it is 2lbs per feed rate per tooth 10 teeth would be 20lbs per hr

carlodog77
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: kirks
Coal Size/Type: lignite

Post by carlodog77 » Sun. Jan. 23, 2022 10:32 am

hi i burn lignite in my kirks coal stoker in my shop ... when i dug it out i thought it was just crap cause it wasnt shiny like the top seam of coal...but i found that it burns great.. i found the finer it is the better it burns..i screened out the bigger lumps to burn in my stoker initialy .. but then found the fines actually burn better than the bigger stuff i was going to make a pipe crusher too feed it through to get sizes no bigger than 3/16"....i experimented with the auger speed . and found it would burn really good at a high rate of speed with very little air ..lots of heat .with blue flame and orange ,,and no smoke out the chimney... i found that it ignites very good with only a little kindling to get it going and it will hold a fire well long enough for 45 mins after the stoker shuts off...the ash is very fine

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Sun. Jan. 23, 2022 5:16 pm

The Sub Bituminous Coals from Montana burn to a fine white ash using an AHS130.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Jan. 23, 2022 6:27 pm

lzaharis wrote:
Sun. Jan. 23, 2022 5:16 pm
The Sub Bituminous Coals from Montana burn to a fine white ash using an AHS130.
Hey, that fellow gave up as that coal wasn’t all that consistent.

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Mon. Jan. 24, 2022 9:39 am

The fellow from the 20 acre farm home page is still burning the Montana
mined Sub Bituminous Coal as far as I know.
I tried looking for the 20 acre farm home page on youtube last night with no success
as "simplified piano" kept popping up.

carlherrnstein
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: combustioneer model 77B
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker/Ohio bituminous

Post by carlherrnstein » Sun. Jan. 30, 2022 6:09 pm

YouTube's search algorithm sucks. You can search a video title verbatim and sometimes it's not even on the first page of results. They push priority creators up in the algorithm no matter how irrelevant.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Jan. 30, 2022 10:27 pm

lzaharis wrote:
Mon. Jan. 24, 2022 9:39 am
The fellow from the 20 acre farm home page is still burning the Montana
mined Sub Bituminous Coal as far as I know.
I tried looking for the 20 acre farm home page on youtube last night with no success
as "simplified piano" kept popping up.
The 20 acre farm was a buddy who allowed Joe to use his page. Later Joe got his own page and it is simplified piano to which Joe’s family have lots of post of piano things.

A gravity hopper feeding in direct line with a soft coal fire burning is problematic I’m afraid, no matter how powdery the ash is that comes out. 😕

Return to “Coal Stoker Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”