Bituminous Coal in Stoker

steinkebunch

Post by steinkebunch » Thu. Feb. 15, 2007 6:14 pm

Hello - I'm from Wyoming where we have bitiminous coal available from local mines. I am wondering if there is any experience burning this soft coal (~11,000 btu/lb and 10% ash) in stoker stoves.

One person I talked to that burns it in a Keystoker said his coal hopper has begun smoking on several occasions. From what I understand, the ease with which bituminous coal burns and volatile content makes it difficult to use with stoker stoves, unless the stove is designed to push the coal in from the bottom (like old "stokermatic" stoves). The only way the Keystoker owner could solve his problem was to scrape the "coal tar" off of his ramp every few weeks.

However, the local leisureline dealer said they burn our bituminous without a problem.

Also, the high ash content means I'll have to empty the ash pan more often (5 times more often than anthracite?). Would it be enough to empty the ash pan twice per day? Once per day?

I'm currently considering either a hand-fed stove or a stoker. I don't like the possibility of coming home to a smoke-filled house. But I like the idea of the stoker. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks - Steinkebunch
Last edited by steinkebunch on Thu. Feb. 15, 2007 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Feb. 15, 2007 6:55 pm

I think the answer is based on the bituminous that is available. It's quality can vary a great deal, and yes the good stuff will burn very well in your stoker.

Jerry & Karen

Post by Jerry & Karen » Sat. Feb. 17, 2007 11:38 am

Hi Stein,
The best that I can tell you is to talk to our dealer in Riverton. (I think you have). They know more about burning that coal then I do. It seems that the cleaning of the pipes is the big thing. We have sold about 20 or more stoves out there, but only certain coal will work. Riverton Wy CC & T 307.856.5893.
Thanks for asking,
Jerry
PS Freight is murder.

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Fri. Feb. 23, 2007 2:31 pm

the key is to design and build a stove from the begenning for bituminous. an underfed stoker with an auger system and a hopper. it would have to controll (keep low) the temp of the combustion bed so that massive clinkers wouldn't form with some bit. coals. the sides of the firbowl would have to have insulating refractory panels or firebrick to to completely burn off the tars that form during the first 20% burn time of average bit. coal. it would also have to have a very simple and accessable firebox/baffel system to allow for easy cleaning of the soot. it would preferably use an 8" flue, 6" is too small. I will make a few of the designs I've drawn up this summer when I have time, I believe there is a serious market out there for a simple and effective bitumionus specifiic stoker.

europachris

Post by europachris » Fri. Feb. 23, 2007 3:01 pm

Berlin wrote: I believe there is a serious market out there for a simple and effective bitumionus specifiic stoker.
YES YES YES there is. Bituminous burns best in a stoker where you can control the amount of fresh coal entering the fire as well as the air flow and combustion temps. It either needs to be a underfed stoker like the classic Combustioneer stove, or a traveling chain grate stoker like the Babcock & Wilcox industrial boilers of the early part of the 1900's. However, an inclined, reciprocating grate, similar to the anthracite stokers, but made of multiple sections that alternately sit in a stairstep fashion but then can reciprocate to an inclined position could work. Might be noisy in the home setting, though. Then, a source of heated secondary air and/or a firebrick ignition arch over the new coal coming in from the stoker would be needed (not needed for the underfed style).

I'd love to design up and build a bituminous stoker. I can get bituminous for 1/3 the cost of anthracite. It's nasty, Illinois bituminous, but burned properly, it's pretty good.

Chris

steinkebunch

Post by steinkebunch » Fri. Dec. 14, 2007 4:52 pm

Berlin wrote: I will make a few of the designs I've drawn up this summer when I have time, I believe there is a serious market out there for a simple and effective bitumionus specifiic stoker.
Berlin - Did you ever get some time to draw up some designs?

Steinke

europachris

Post by europachris » Fri. Dec. 14, 2007 5:09 pm

I've enquired to Will-Burt about the availability of their residential model (and pricing). One of these days I'm going to figure a way to add central coal heat to our house, and be able to burn the local Illinois coal, of which we have about a gazillion tons, and do it relatively cleanly, which can be done with a proper stoker. I'd install the boiler (prob. have to be custom made - Greg, wanna make me one?) in the garage and run PEX to a heat exchanger in the furnace plenum.

I know it sounds like a crazy idea, but when I can get local coal for $50/ton vs. $300/ton for bagged anthracite, it starts to pay pretty quick!

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Dec. 14, 2007 5:42 pm

europachris wrote:Might be noisy in the home setting, though. I can get bituminous for 1/3 the cost of anthracite.
I could put up with clunking and banging to heat my house with $300. :)

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Thu. Jan. 10, 2008 1:27 pm

well, I did get time to weld up an interesting design that I completely pulled out of my ass, mostly because it should work in theory and it's super simple to test, but it's not an underfed stoker design, it's like nothing else out there, I would call it a "gravity fed revolving grate stoker" but before I get too excited i'm going to have to get around to testing it out to see if has even a snowball's chance at working properly. i'm pretty much done building it now, I just have to find time and decent weather to test it out, plus picking up that stoker in memphis this week cut into my free time although i'm pretty stoked :P about getting it.

italia899

Post by italia899 » Fri. Feb. 01, 2008 10:57 pm

Berlin,

Have you tested your homemade creation yet?

europachris

Post by europachris » Sat. Feb. 02, 2008 9:14 am

And how did that stoker from Memphis turn out? What sort of shape is it in? I saw the pics and there were some old vintage goodies tossed in the hopper.

Return to “Coal Stoker Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”