Stoker Coal Noobie- Combustioneer Model 77 Stoker Heater

Serji

Post by Serji » Thu. Aug. 27, 2009 11:40 pm

Hi, I'm new here. My names Jon and I live in Southern Ohio.

My dad currently heats his garage (30 x 48 with a 10 ft. ceiling) with a hand stoked free standing wood burner. We just found (and bought) a Combustioneer Model 77 Stoker Coal stove for $100, and I was wanting to ask some people that actually know about these things some questions. It has a burnt out Idle/ Timer switch on it, and I was wondering where to buy a new one from. Another question is, Can I burn wood pellets in it? Would it work better than burning the stoker coal? Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the installation of a new switch?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, but I'm completely new to using a hopper-fed stove.

Thanks in advance!

-Jon

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Fri. Aug. 28, 2009 12:02 am

Welcome Serji to the place that can answer all your questions!! since its a wee late in the evening all the folks with the experience you require are busy with the sand man... I am confident you will get several helpful responces as well as questions. What brand and model timer? how bout a pic? do you have a coal source? bit or anthracite coal? ...ect. the people here are indeed the best !!

Serji

Post by Serji » Fri. Aug. 28, 2009 12:18 am

Probably gonna be bit coal, but I'm not sure. I'll have to go to my dads garage and check out the model and make of that timer. I'll have that info posted up early tomorrow morning.

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Fri. Aug. 28, 2009 2:40 am

I have the exact furnace. Excellent little heater, with a few caveats. 1. make sure you use pea size stoker coal (bituminous only) 1/4" x 1-1/4" 2. be sure you are using DRY coal 3. be sure to leave a bed of about 2" + ash in the stove at all times - do not empty burn chamber completely when removing clinker/excess ash. 4. be sure to check oil in transmission case, if it's leaking, get new seals/ seal w/ silicone gasket maker etc or you will ruin a very expensive transmission, use heavier gear oil than what they call for 80w90 is good. 5. put a blower fan on the heat exchanger, the one it comes with is anemic and tends to let the little stove get too hot, it's capable of easily heating an entire house. 6. you WILL have to play with the coal feed and underfire air setting quite a bit to get it to burn right, it's very particular about having the proper mix. 7. DO use a barometric damper set at the factory setting of .04 and then adjust from there; you may have optimal draft much higher or lower than this for whatever particular characteristic of coal you end up burning, different bituminous coals like very different draft setting to prevent outfires. do not use a turn damper the flyash will clog it shortly.

This is the Exact same heater I am currently using to heat my entire house. It's plumbed into my ductwork and I use a different high/low limit fan switch with a BIG squirrel cage fan to move the air. I took the grate off the top and made a rough plenum to adapt to my ductwork and sealed up the grate on the front.

why on earth would you want to burn pellets in it!? you have a very good little coal stoker furnace that runs on some of the cheapest per BTU fuel in the world!!! leaps and bounds cheaper than pellets or anthracite. find a source of good bituminous pea stoker coal, if you need help I may be able to help you with that. What is wrong w/ the timer? if it's not working it's usually not the timer, but rather a little switch part of, but available independently from the timer that's much, much cheaper a few dollars vs. a few hundred. I you need the timer, here is a company that may be able to help: http://www.stokerworx.com/parts

BTW: you got a VERY VERY good deal on that stoker. most people arn't letting them go for less than 800 in working condition.

chubs
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: combustioneer 77
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker bit.

Post by chubs » Fri. Aug. 28, 2009 5:15 am

Contact Dan, he has send me files copies of both of my combustioneer stokers I have, just let him know what model you have. They also still carry parts for them. The company is in Orrville, Ohio.

Dan Wesman
The Will-Burt Company
[email protected]

Serji

Post by Serji » Fri. Aug. 28, 2009 5:56 am

Thanks alot for all the help guys!

I have no clue what is wrong with the timer switch. When I just wire the positive and negative cables from the motor directly to power the blower kicks on and the auger is spinning, but when I wire the motor to the internal positive and negative wires and plug it in it gets nothing. Now, like I said, I am COMPLETELY new to these type of heaters, and I'm just playing it by ear...

I shot Mr. Wesman an E-mail to see if he could send me a parts list and possibly a wiring diagram.

Again everyone, Thanks loads...

Return to “Coal Stoker Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”