Compare Bituminous to Stoker Is There a Difference?

dale80

Post by dale80 » Wed. Aug. 12, 2009 7:38 pm

I just started burning coal the end of last winter season and I am trying to decide the best route to go in getting coal I can get the stoker delivered in bulk( I do have a place to store it) or the bituminous which I can get by the pallet in the bags. But I have heard that there is a difference in the way they burn. I have a hitzer 5093 coalstove. Thank you

DOUG

Post by DOUG » Wed. Aug. 12, 2009 8:32 pm

If you are going to use your Hitzer, I would be using anthracite nut sizes, not the bituminous lump. That is not to say that you couldn't burn the bituminous in your hand fired Hitzer, it is just that the bituminous is very dirty compared to the anthracite. If the bituminous is not fired properly, you will build up a lot of black soot in the stove and chimney and it will smell of sulfur.

I've used bituminous when I first started burning coal and it did heat well, with longer burn times than burning wood. But, once you experience the cleanliness of the anthracite, beautiful blue flames, no black soot and heavy sulfur smell, plus not having to clean out that black sooty mess, the higher price of the anthracite is easily justified.

Plus, you can't burn bituminous coal in a anthracite coal stoker. If you try it, you will be in for a real mess. Bituminous coal should never be burnt in an anthracite coal stoker stove.

They do make bituminous stokers for furnaces though. But they are very pricey and I don't believe that is your intention for getting a coal stoker. :idea:

Return to “Coal Stoker Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”