Looking for General Stoker Advise

danzig

Post by danzig » Wed. Mar. 04, 2009 11:41 am

Hi my name is James Durant (danzig)
you can still get parts from Will-burt manufacturing in ohio. The person of contact is Dan Wesman. He is working on a stoker project for me. Tell him I gave you his name. The Phone number is 330-682-7015. They make replacement parts for these units. talk to him he will help you out. If you see any other stokers out ther let me know! thanks good luck.

Sting
Other Heating: OBSO Lennox Pulse "Air Scorcher" burning NG

Post by Sting » Wed. Mar. 04, 2009 1:05 pm

If I understand your load correctly the little 30 will not be big enough for your application but just right for mine

My 100 would be better suited under the correct size boiler

Trade?

can you post pictures of the 30 and its general condition re feed screw -and the lower air box that supports the rotten "tweeters"?

Cigar_Smoker

Post by Cigar_Smoker » Wed. Mar. 04, 2009 5:22 pm

Well I went and looked at it and it's not all it was made out too be. All of the doors and covers are missing including the screw clean out cover. There are no controls and the whole assembly that sits above the screw on the burning end is gone (hearth?). The part at the end of the screw is there but the stuff that sits on top it it is gone. It also looked like the bottom of the coal bin by the screw had some holes rusted out in it. But the motor and drive where there and intact and from what I could see the screw had quite a bit of meat left to it. This is the info that I got from the tag. Deluxe modle: 30 long, seres DL 180764.

Sting, from what I can see it would take a pretty inefficient boiler to make the 30 to small for what we need. After getting good measurements on the actual area to be heated is 6300 sq/ft and I am figuring that it will take about 220,500 but's/hrs. Now that is not a manual N calculation or anything but it should be close. Do you know what the minim feed rate of the 100 is?

Sting

Post by Sting » Thu. Mar. 05, 2009 3:36 pm

Cigar_Smoker wrote: Sting, from what I can see it would take a pretty inefficient boiler to make the 30 to small for what we need. After getting good measurements on the actual area to be heated is 6300 sq/ft and I am figuring that it will take about 220,500 but's/hrs. Now that is not a manual N calculation or anything but it should be close. Do you know what the minim feed rate of the 100 is?
I read that your load was considerably larger

Me bad - Again......

How low will it go?????????? Havn't a clue - it would depend - Let me get back to you on that :)

Cigar_Smoker

Post by Cigar_Smoker » Thu. Mar. 05, 2009 6:31 pm

Sting wrote:
Cigar_Smoker wrote: Sting, from what I can see it would take a pretty inefficient boiler to make the 30 to small for what we need. After getting good measurements on the actual area to be heated is 6300 sq/ft and I am figuring that it will take about 220,500 but's/hrs. Now that is not a manual N calculation or anything but it should be close. Do you know what the minim feed rate of the 100 is?
I read that your load was considerably larger

Me bad - Again......

How low will it go?????????? Havn't a clue - it would depend - Let me get back to you on that :)
No problem man, I originally thought that we would requiring more BTU's than that as well. I think the 100 would great if we were going to heat the whole building and that may be the case some time in the future. Let me know any info/specs you have on the 100, we may still be able to work something out.

Sting

Post by Sting » Thu. Mar. 05, 2009 6:48 pm

Maybe as James advises above -- the kind folks at Wilbert would have some input as to the output and operation of the 100

For now its just a lost sole -- like me, but its in a cold barn and I am in a warm corn crib -- at least it seams like this little place heats like a big drafty corn crib :D

Cigar_Smoker

Post by Cigar_Smoker » Fri. Mar. 06, 2009 11:15 am

Sting wrote:Maybe as James advises above -- the kind folks at Wilbert would have some input as to the output and operation of the 100
Yes, I think I will be putting in a call to Wilbert soon. Thank You James for the bit of information!
Sting wrote:--at least it seams like this little place heats like a big drafty corn crib :D
I know what you mean there. We live in a 140 year old Italinate that has it's original windows and zero insolation. I'm thinking a coal stoker for home should be my next project.... :D

zipdog

Post by zipdog » Sat. Mar. 14, 2009 11:51 am

You better check on availability of coal , most of the mines won't sell to the public. I called over 20 places and I live in central Il. Another member hooked me up with a southern Indiana mine. If you find one that will sell to you please post the name , location and price on here. Believe me coal isn't that easy to find in Illinois.

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Sat. Mar. 14, 2009 5:47 pm

a lot of mines in the midwest won't sell to the public anymore- in small tonnages. most will sell a truckload (20-27 tons) to pretty much anyone, however, and you will usually get a better price on the coal when you buy at least that amount, plus it's delivered.

Cigar_Smoker

Post by Cigar_Smoker » Sun. Mar. 15, 2009 1:03 am

Berlin wrote:a lot of mines in the midwest won't sell to the public anymore- in small tonnages. most will sell a truckload (20-27 tons) to pretty much anyone, however, and you will usually get a better price on the coal when you buy at least that amount, plus it's delivered.
That was the plan, too buy by the semi load. We have plenty of room to store coal. Maybe I should get a dump and start up a delivery rout....lol. I will do some checking around and see what I come up with. Thanks for the heads up guys, I will keep you posted.

europachris

Post by europachris » Sun. Mar. 15, 2009 8:53 am

zipdog wrote:You better check on availability of coal , most of the mines won't sell to the public. I called over 20 places and I live in central Il. Another member hooked me up with a southern Indiana mine. If you find one that will sell to you please post the name , location and price on here. Believe me coal isn't that easy to find in Illinois.
Oh schizit! :shock: That's not good! I'm planning a bituminous stoker boiler install this summer and just assumed I'd have no issue getting coal here. That would really suck if I'd get it all put together and then can't buy coal! I have no place to store a tractor/trailer load and only have needs for at most 5 ton a year. Bituminous doesn't weather/store all that well, so I don't want to buy 4 years worth at once.

However, I do have a next door neighbor with a trucking company with tractor/trailer dumps, so at least I have the transport method....

Dang, I'd better make some calls.....

Chris

Cigar_Smoker

Post by Cigar_Smoker » Mon. Mar. 16, 2009 5:54 pm

europachris wrote:
zipdog wrote:You better check on availability of coal , most of the mines won't sell to the public. I called over 20 places and I live in central Il. Another member hooked me up with a southern Indiana mine. If you find one that will sell to you please post the name , location and price on here. Believe me coal isn't that easy to find in Illinois.
Bituminous doesn't weather/store all that well, so I don't want to buy 4 years worth at once.

Chris
Just wondering if bit will store ok if it is under cover?

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Mon. Mar. 16, 2009 6:16 pm

most bituminous coal will store/weather just fine under 5 years. if the bit coal is covered it will be fine for probably twice that. after a period of time the volitiles slowly escape and, eventually, the coal will develop fissures as it "dries out" thus turning large pieces into smaller and smaller chunks as parts break away. this process will take at least 50 years for most eastern bituminous, even then most of the carbon and some volitiles are still there.

Cigar_Smoker

Post by Cigar_Smoker » Mon. Mar. 16, 2009 8:11 pm

Berlin wrote:most bituminous coal will store/weather just fine under 5 years. if the bit coal is covered it will be fine for probably twice that. after a period of time the volitiles slowly escape and, eventually, the coal will develop fissures as it "dries out" thus turning large pieces into smaller and smaller chunks as parts break away. this process will take at least 50 years for most eastern bituminous, even then most of the carbon and some volitiles are still there.
OK, Good deal. At least we have that going for us. Thanks for clearing that up.

Return to “Coal Stoker Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”