Haas & Sohn Hopper Fed Stove

ummagumma84

Post by ummagumma84 » Thu. Nov. 06, 2008 9:39 pm

Anyone have any information regarding a Haas & Sohn hopper fed coal stove? I cannot find a Haas & Sohn website in english (it is a German manufacturer). I am considering purchasing a used model I found locally for $400. Any experiences related to it? Might this be a good stove for someone like me who has never touched coal before. Here is a pic of the stove:
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

stove.jpg
.JPG | 6.3KB | stove.jpg

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Thu. Nov. 06, 2008 10:15 pm

Is this a gravity hopper-fed stove? Or a hopper feeding a mechanical/electrical stoker stove??

It looks like the stove has been well taken care of.

Greg L

ummagumma84

Post by ummagumma84 » Thu. Nov. 06, 2008 10:27 pm

This is a gravity hopper fed stove, no electricity used. Near as I can tell, its operating principle is similar to the surdiacs I have read about.
It is very clean and apparently well cared for. Owner says they used it in their old house for about 2 years, moved 20+ years ago, and it has been sitting unused in his basement ever since. It is brown porcelain enamel over cast iron, with just a few worn off spots on the foot plate, an easy cosmetic repair. Owner says it cost $1100 new, and that was in in the 70's. Another picture:

Attachments

stove2.jpg
.JPG | 7.6KB | stove2.jpg

SemperFi

Post by SemperFi » Fri. Nov. 07, 2008 7:58 pm

It looks like a new stove :) . I would jump on it if I were you. Hopper fed stoves of the handfired variety are the easiest to operate and you will get the longest times between refueling. If you take a batch fired and a hopper fed stoves with the same fire box dimentions you will get much longer burn times from the hopper fed. I know nothing of the stove you are looking at but the Germans are known for there ability to build fine products. Good luck.

ummagumma84

Post by ummagumma84 » Mon. Nov. 10, 2008 10:58 pm

Over 100 views and only two replies, guess this one's a bit of a rarity. The little information I've unearthed indicated this is a Haas and Sohn Pluto model, and grates and other parts are available from stovepartsplus.com, although this one needs nothing. Lonnnnng burn times are possible on this one by turning the control to its lowest setting... owner would literally load it up on Friday evening, turn the control down and leave for the weekend and find it still burning Sunday evening upon his return, 48 hours later.
Unfortunately I must pass on this... the cost of installing a chimney to vent it is well beyond my price range. If anyone else is interested though, I can direct you to the Craigslist listing here in Connecticut.

frostybob123

Post by frostybob123 » Wed. Nov. 12, 2008 9:35 pm

Hi nice looking stove there I am very interested in getting connected with the owners to have a look and maybe purchase it, take me to your craigslist posting thanks in advance rw .................

I found the site no need to trouble yourself thanks.

HAPPY COAL

Post by HAPPY COAL » Wed. Sep. 09, 2009 11:54 am

I"VE HAVE A SIMILAR STOVE I THNK MINE IS SMALLER I'VE BEEN USING IT SINCE 1988.
GREAT STOVE.
IT TAKES AWHILE TO GET USED TO.
YOU USE PEA COAL.TO START USE REAL CHARCOAL GET THE CHARCOAL GOING AND PUT APPROXAMATEMLY 1 INCH OF PEA COAL ON TOP COMPLETLY COVER THE CAHRCOLA . ONCE IT STARTS ADD MORE COAL
ONCE YOU GET THE COMPLETE PILE GOING FILL THE HOPPER.,
ABOUT 1/2 HR.
YOU NEED TO HAVE THE THERMOSTATIC CONTROL FULLY OPEN TO START IT.
ONCE STARTED AND THE COAL IS INSTALLED IN THE HOPPER YOU CAN THROTTLE IT BACK.
MY FULL HOPPER BURNS ANYWHERE FROM 8 TO 18 HOURS DEPOENDING ON THE OUT SIDE TEMP.
STOKE IT ONCE OR TWICE A DAY.
IF YOU TAKE CARE OF EMPTYING THE ASH AND STOKING YOU NEED NOT START IT AGIN FOR THE SEASON.
IT USUSALY GOES OUT TWO OR THREE TIMES PER HEATING SEASON THOUGH.
THE BURN IS AFFECTED BY BAROMETRIC PRESSURE AND WARM DAYS.
YOU NEED GOOD DRAFT IN YOUR CHIMMENY TO GET THIS STOVE TO WORK.
I HOPE THIS HELPS PS.
I DIDN'T SEE THE DATE OF THE PSOTING.

stovepipemike

Post by stovepipemike » Wed. Jun. 06, 2012 7:57 am

I have used the Haas and Sohn Pluto model stove for years in my former house.When I moved I could not leave this trusty ,dependable stove behind.Simple to operate,beautifully detailed, designed and constructed in a manner that German items tend to be.I have not needed parts so I cannot comment as to the manufacturer's support.I have been very happy with this stove.It is very true that they will run an amazing length of time on the lower settings.As always however a good draft is needed. Mike

Girl-In-KY
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Haas+Sohn

Post by Girl-In-KY » Wed. Nov. 25, 2020 6:18 pm

Hi,
I have inherited one of these and need instructions for the use. Does a regular stove pipe support it also?
Thank you in advance.

wunkone
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite

Post by wunkone » Sat. Dec. 26, 2020 5:05 pm

I started my coal journey on the same exact stove was never used till I had it. For me didn't work out so good. First was pipe is in metric like 5" so I had pipe fabricated to adapt to 6". Low btu depending on what you want to heat believe it was like 50,000 btu. Anyway the thermostat on side worked well, firebox grate was real small and shake down design wasn't good like a v shape not flat, I ended up having small leak in door gasket wasn't visible and caused hot spot on hopper melted small piece no big deal but big problem came from pore cast iron at bottom hinge on door. Since no parts are available or at least easily found turned into a frustrating endeavor. I gave up after a couple months and bought a used hitzer 5093 for 1000 bucks, and simple easy ton of heat and burned less than that one. As simple as they seam that 1980s stove just wasn't worth the trouble real easy to overheat. That was my experience it was my first shot a coal but the newer stoves definitly will shorten the learning curve. Good luck 🤞.

Gonset

Post by Gonset » Thu. Jan. 20, 2022 5:52 am

Does anyone have an instruction booklet for the above pictured stove?? stove?. Or any other info.

Thanks

Bill

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Jan. 22, 2022 10:11 pm

Who needs instructions…
HAPPY COAL wrote:
Wed. Sep. 09, 2009 11:54 am
I"VE HAVE A SIMILAR STOVE I THNK MINE IS SMALLER I'VE BEEN USING IT SINCE 1988.
GREAT STOVE.
IT TAKES AWHILE TO GET USED TO.
YOU USE PEA COAL.TO START USE REAL CHARCOAL GET THE CHARCOAL GOING AND PUT APPROXAMATEMLY 1 INCH OF PEA COAL ON TOP COMPLETLY COVER THE CAHRCOLA . ONCE IT STARTS ADD MORE COAL
ONCE YOU GET THE COMPLETE PILE GOING FILL THE HOPPER.,
ABOUT 1/2 HR.
YOU NEED TO HAVE THE THERMOSTATIC CONTROL FULLY OPEN TO START IT.
ONCE STARTED AND THE COAL IS INSTALLED IN THE HOPPER YOU CAN THROTTLE IT BACK.
MY FULL HOPPER BURNS ANYWHERE FROM 8 TO 18 HOURS DEPOENDING ON THE OUT SIDE TEMP.
STOKE IT ONCE OR TWICE A DAY.
IF YOU TAKE CARE OF EMPTYING THE ASH AND STOKING YOU NEED NOT START IT AGIN FOR THE SEASON.
IT USUSALY GOES OUT TWO OR THREE TIMES PER HEATING SEASON THOUGH.
THE BURN IS AFFECTED BY BAROMETRIC PRESSURE AND WARM DAYS.
YOU NEED GOOD DRAFT IN YOUR CHIMMENY TO GET THIS STOVE TO WORK.
I HOPE THIS HELPS PS.
I DIDN'T SEE THE DATE OF THE PSOTING.

Gonset

Post by Gonset » Sun. Jan. 23, 2022 8:50 am

Good Morning,

Thanks for the reply to my post. I am very familiar with coal burning. I had a Gilbralter coal stove for years. I burned nut coal and it was my main source of heat. Of course, I had a gas boiler that would fill in if we went away. The coldest days it was 75 downstairs and 72 upstairs. When I moved, I left it for the new owners. I saw the Haas Sohn for sale for 75 bucks and picked it up for the garage. It's in pretty good shape. I plan on an instillation in the spring. Was wondering how long the smoke pipe should be to create a good draft? I ran my old stove up the chimney with a five-foot section of smoke pipe. I plan on using nut coal and starting the fires with pig oak ie skids that I get for free from the hardware store.
I will be burning wood on the days I am in the shop for short durations but using coal if I am in there for longer periods.
It's a nice stove and I think a good gasket sealing and cleanup it will provide plenty of nice warm heat for me.
Thanks for the reply. I am located near Philadelphia Pa. in the burbs. Havertown the Manoa section.

Thanks Again.

Cheers,

Bill Bruno

W3KBS

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Jan. 23, 2022 9:00 am

Oh, then it is the installation manual that you desire. Sorry I’ll be of no help for that.

Hope someone else comes to your aid. 🙂

Gonset

Post by Gonset » Sun. Jan. 23, 2022 9:03 am

Thanks so Much.

Bill

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”