Surdiac Coal Stove

tiogaglide

Post by tiogaglide » Tue. Oct. 21, 2008 2:13 pm

I saw for sale a Surdiac Coal Stove Self feeding .They want around $650, I understand it not made anymore or has new name. Its a self feeding with out any electric hookups.Does any body know anything about these.I have a photo not sure if I can put it in.

Attachments

coalstove.jpg
.JPG | 5.8KB | coalstove.jpg

rockwood
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Stokermatic
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Rockwood Stoveworks Circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: Malleable/Monarch Range
Coal Size/Type: Lump and stoker + Blaschak-stove size

Post by rockwood » Tue. Oct. 21, 2008 2:22 pm

Check these posts. Maybe it will help you.
Surdiac Hopper Fed Coal Stove

klinker

Post by klinker » Tue. Oct. 21, 2008 2:35 pm

I burned a Surdiac for over 10yrs. The model I had was one bigger than the one pictured. The stove in the picture looks like the front was repainted which is not the most important part of theses stoves. They are not being made anymore but when they were available they were a very good stove, at least mine was. The Surdiac had a tendancy to rust in the rear heat exchanger area plus the two rear cleanouts also would rust...I would look at the rear of the stove very carefully..if rusted. I would pass on it.The inside coal bin would often warp...going from an oval shape to a pear shape due to overfiring of the stove. This bin is quite expensive to replace if you can find one. The stove can burn wood but it's quite difficult to set up and wood burn times are not that long. Although stoves are in demand right now I feel 650.00 is way overpriced for that stove. I've seen Surdiacs on craigslist from 150-450 not that long ago for the larger model. That's about it...anything else let me know...I know this stove quite well

tiogaglide

Post by tiogaglide » Wed. Oct. 22, 2008 10:27 am

Thanks for the input.Did all the Surdiac's have self feed hoppers? How do they workwith out electric? I have a wood furnace and a fuel oil back up furnace. But I was disabled in a MVA crash a few years back ,so cutting wood is not as easy .I was just looking for small coal burner to help out. The price of coal in the upstate NY area is cheaper than wood pellets.The price of those new stoves are high.The lower priced coal stoves you seen on craigs list do they have the hoppers? I have cut and burned my own wood for 30 years on the same Itasca furnace.I remove the outside covers to check for cracks.When I find them I weld them with MIG.I have a heat and carbon monoxide detectors.It came with a seperate chamber for oil burner.I had removed the burner years ago,it did fire up the wood nicley but allways pluged up with soot. lator had a small oil burner furnace installed next to it. Oil was 79 cents a gallon then ,also took out my electric hot water heater and put in oil water heater. Oil had been stable for over 10 years. Of course with my luck that ended. I am planing on putting in a small electric water heater .Its going to be a low profile so I can get it higher than my wood burner.I want to put a coil in the wood furnace.In the area where oil gun was.Being higher I won't need a pump.I loose electrice once to 5 times a year.I live in a wooded area and on the end of an Electric service finger. So if anything happens on that loop I get hit. The wood furnace blower won't work, but I do get a hot air gravity effect ,Its not nearly as good as with blowers.I have one more question.With a wood stove burning, is it practical to add coal to top of wood to get longer burn? Or would that be wasting coal or dangerous?

klinker

Post by klinker » Fri. Oct. 24, 2008 7:27 pm

You can not add coal to the Surdiac if you are set up to burn wood. You either burn wood or coal. The Surdiac can not burn both at the same time. The coal hopper must be removed when burning wood and reinstalled when you decide it's time to burn coal. I would recommend saving your money and buying a Harman hand feed stove or similar...these do not rely on electric power to run plus some have a hot water coil that can be added on...I don't think a Surdiac is for you

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”