Gotha Serdiac

the snowman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove coal, Egg coal

Post by the snowman » Tue. Sep. 30, 2008 10:35 am

Anyone familiar with the Gotha Serdiac Model 713d. I see parts are still available, however, are they anygood and how many BTU do they produce? Thanks.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Tue. Sep. 30, 2008 11:39 am

Do a search on SURDIAC, there are quite a few owners of these stoves...not sure if exact models

Surdiac Hopper Fed Coal Stove

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Tue. Sep. 30, 2008 11:48 am

Surdiak stoves are hand feed stoves, I'm moving this to the hand feed forum for better exposure to the hand-feed crowd.

Greg L

klinker

Post by klinker » Tue. Sep. 30, 2008 1:26 pm

I owned a Suriac for quite sometime 10 yrs plus. The stove was excellent for heat maybe 48000 btu's. Con's...it is capable of burning wood but a difficult job to set up for wood burning. A reason why a bought a Harman Mark II I never burned wood for this reason so I had to fire the furnace during the cool times to get the chill out of the house, This is when I burned most of my oil..so I decided to buy a Harman. Anyway, check the rear heat exchanger, it has a history of rusting out also the coal hopper will bow in time. Shaking the stove down is an antiquated system but does the job. All in all it gives off plenty of heat and worked very well burning coal ( pea ). That's about it

the snowman

Post by the snowman » Tue. Sep. 30, 2008 1:39 pm

how many hours would it burn on a fill?

klinker

Post by klinker » Tue. Sep. 30, 2008 7:33 pm

It would burn 12hrs maybe more on a fill...It was filled about twice a day maybe three if it was real cold outside......used about 40# pea coal each day. It was a good stove

the snowman

Post by the snowman » Tue. Sep. 30, 2008 8:19 pm

Thanks for the info I appreciate it.

Ross
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Surdiac Gotha 713
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by Ross » Fri. Oct. 24, 2008 4:11 pm

Hi, I'm using a coal stove (Serdiac Gotha) for the first time. Any suggestions on what I set the "temp" at. The control runs from 1 to 8 and I keep reading not to run it too hot. I've got it set to 4 now, it's been burning for about 6 hours and the stove is hot in the back but just warm (safe to touch) everywhere else. I was expecting it to be much hotter. Is this normal? Thanks from a total newbie.

klinker

Post by klinker » Fri. Oct. 24, 2008 7:00 pm

When I owned a Surdiac I would run it on setting one ( 1) most of the time. Yes, it is normal for the stove to be cool on the outside.....tuff to boil water for humidity. Be careful not to overfire the stove...the coal bin will warp. I had good luck with the stove but the shakedown system is terrible...best to burn pea coal, nut didn't work that well

Ross

Post by Ross » Fri. Oct. 24, 2008 8:49 pm

Thanks for the advice. I looked at the back and I suspect the adjustments are a bit off, it's an old stove! At 1 it's closed and there is no airflow, at 2 it's just a crack open. I've set it at 2 and I'll see how it does. I had filled the hopper (not all way to the top) and it ran it at 4 for around 12 hours and there was still quite a bit left in the hopper. I just filled it again for the night. Yes the previous owner told me to use only pea coal so I have 3 tons in the garage! Thanks again.

klinker

Post by klinker » Sat. Oct. 25, 2008 12:58 pm

Yes, that's what I did now and then...check the opening in the back. It ran just fine almost closed. I did have a good draft though. If your burn times get shorter and shorter 6-8 hrs check your exhaust pipe and also the rear clean outs...these areas have a tendancy to accumulate fly ash and reduce your draft which makes it difficult to keep a glowing fire.

Ross

Post by Ross » Wed. Oct. 29, 2008 9:09 pm

I've had the stove going almost a week now. I'm still trying to figure out what the upper limits on the stove are. I put a thermometer on top and it hasn't read above 130 F. I've seen other posts saying 200 F is fine. Any advice on what's ok for the Gotha? I'm trying to be careful so I don't warp the hopper.

Sundin67

Post by Sundin67 » Thu. Oct. 30, 2008 10:22 am

I have a Surdiac 713 as well, I am looking to unload it if you are in the NY area. The Cleaning plugs broke off the heat exchanger. I have had many people intertested in the rest of it, becuase the hopper, grates, and glass are in good shape, but I do not deliver. I live on Long Island.

Ross

Post by Ross » Thu. Oct. 30, 2008 12:28 pm

Thanks, I'm not insterested now as I may have one lined up in town. I'm in CT so if this one doesn't work out I'll contact you.

Ross

Post by Ross » Sat. Nov. 01, 2008 8:06 am

Can anyone tell me how often to shake down the stove and empty the ash? I was doing it 3 times a day but I think I may be overdoing it. Yesterday I skipped a shaking and it was actually burning much hotter by the time I went to bed.

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”