Coalbrookedale Severn disassembly

mR_Slug

Post by mR_Slug » Thu. Mar. 23, 2023 5:26 pm

I've got this Coalbrookedale Severn stove, but i need to disassemble the right side to unfreeze the riddler. It looks like it unbolts from the back, and then you slide it back. Problem is the top prevents the side from sliding back.

The top has two bolts at the back that hold it down. I've removed these, but it wont lift up, or slide back. I can feel the cast iron top flexing if i try to force it, and I've tried hitting it with a mallet but it wont budge.

Are there any assembly/disassembly instructions anywhere? All I have is an exploded view. Thanks.
Last edited by mR_Slug on Thu. Mar. 23, 2023 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Thu. Mar. 23, 2023 6:31 pm

Do you mean the severn?

mR_Slug

Post by mR_Slug » Thu. Mar. 23, 2023 7:57 pm

Yes, sorry typo.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Thu. Mar. 23, 2023 8:56 pm

Yeah, it kept autocorrecting on me. I found the part breakdown, but it has a jigsaw puzzle worth of parts.

mR_Slug

Post by mR_Slug » Sun. Mar. 26, 2023 3:13 pm

Ok, so the top. There are 2 nuts on the inside top of the firebox. Very similar to the ones on the back. Undo the bolts and the top comes off right? Well the nuts are corroded with flue gasses and rust. Spanner rounds them off, Oil is useless, torch makes no difference so....dremel. I've spent 2 hours with my head in the stove looking up at these and dremeling. I cut the nut hoping to remove it, but in both cases the stud came out with the nut.

So with the top off i was able to get the side panel off and access the riddler. Trouble now is the riddler is stuck. I've tried heat and oil but it is seized solid. I am trying to remove the bearing colored in green in the first image. It is secured with two aluminum screws. These burred over and i've drilled them out, but it still wont budge. If you follow the line of the screw securing it (in the image) it goes towards an elongated hole. I can see this from the inside.
pic1.gif
.GIF | 42.9KB | pic1.gif
Now in pic 2 you can see the central shaft (6) has a slot to accept (5) the bar. In my stove it looks like this is all one bar. It is rusted so hard to tell. Could anyone tell me if theirs is separate pieces? A picture would be very helpful.
pic2.jpg
.JPG | 64.4KB | pic2.jpg

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”