Noob coal user with an old Hanover 1

WRXFrog
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover 1
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by WRXFrog » Sun. Jan. 09, 2022 10:54 am

First, thank you all for reading.
With the chill of winter setting in, I am now looking for advice on an old stove we inherited when we purchased our house last year. I am excited yet apprehensive to try this thing. It looks cool and warm!

At the time of purchase, everything was inspected and in good shape. Pictures are attached for reference. The front loading door knob is a bit tight but moves enough. As you can see from the pictures, there is significant rusting. Is that usual?

Other than that I need advice about tools and the whole process. Looks like I need some good fire proof gloves and something to twist the knobs on the front. As for process, this is what I know. Make sure air flow is good to start, you can start a fire with matchlight or a wood fire but matchlight works best. Next, add layers of coal either by front or side loader. Then, once I get blue flame there, load the hopper. Set temp with air flow and enjoy. Service by flossing grates of ash and shaking every 12 hrs. Sounds easy enough but I know that isn't true. Hence the post.
From my research so far, these things were meant to burn wood or coal. I have inhereted bags of pea coal that I want to use but have some wood to start a fire as well.
Most important thing I have learned so far...is to close off air at ash door or I could have a meltdown.
Also worried about carbon monoxide and stuff.
Going to start with a small paper and wood fire to test draft and get used to having something on fire within my home!
Thank you for reading and looking forward to your help!

Frog in PA

Attachments

IMG_20220109_102425.jpg
.JPG | 246.8KB | IMG_20220109_102425.jpg
IMG_20220109_102244.jpg
.JPG | 306KB | IMG_20220109_102244.jpg
IMG_20220109_102252.jpg
.JPG | 263.3KB | IMG_20220109_102252.jpg
IMG_20220109_102303.jpg
.JPG | 158.5KB | IMG_20220109_102303.jpg
IMG_20220109_102333.jpg
.JPG | 295KB | IMG_20220109_102333.jpg
IMG_20220109_102414.jpg
.JPG | 258.9KB | IMG_20220109_102414.jpg

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Jan. 09, 2022 11:12 am

I'd scrape off what rust I could with a putty knife-mostly just comes from sittin!! All looks good W--yep, match light does work best. Just an old farmers thoughts!! :) Actually, I'm thinkin ya will find it easy--Any questions, don't be afraid to ask!! :)

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sun. Jan. 09, 2022 12:36 pm

Make sure chimney is clean/clear first. Get a co2 detector next. Test all gaskets. Small paper fire to test for smoke leaks. If you go with bigger wood fire, keep it small unless you pull the hopper.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Jan. 09, 2022 1:01 pm

Not CO2...but rather CO detector. 😁

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sun. Jan. 09, 2022 1:27 pm

Red coal, not just blue flame to begin filling the hopper.

You should find slots (probably three) to insert a flat poker at grate level to clear ash.

The Ashman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey hanover II

Post by The Ashman » Sun. Jan. 09, 2022 2:45 pm

I’ve had a Hannover stove for 16 years. I crank it up mid November till mid March only letting it burn out if leaving home for more than 2 days. All I’ll say is it was the best investment I probably ever made. If you need any hints or advise feel free to email me. Rich

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Jan. 09, 2022 3:32 pm

Welcome to the site, and coal burning, Frog. (By the way, do you "actually" own a WRX Super-poo?)
Not sure what fuel your house uses for winter warmth, but if it's oil, propane, or wood, you'll be happy with coal, as a supplemental source. If it's natural gas, well...consider yourself lucky. Lots of great advice from members here, to make your initial experiences much more pleasant, rather than throwing something at wall, and seeing what sticks. So good luck, and remember, it ain't real, W/O pics. You did OK so far, now lets try for some bottom heavy pics. ;)

WRXFrog

Post by WRXFrog » Sun. Jan. 09, 2022 4:26 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Sun. Jan. 09, 2022 11:12 am
I'd scrape off what rust I could with a putty knife-mostly just comes from sittin!! All looks good W--yep, match light does work best. Just an old farmers thoughts!! :) Actually, I'm thinkin ya will find it easy--Any questions, don't be afraid to ask!! :)
Thank you!
I used a wire brush and soft brush to get the fine dust.
I'll be in touch if need be,
Thanks again.

WRXFrog

Post by WRXFrog » Sun. Jan. 09, 2022 4:34 pm

joeq wrote:
Sun. Jan. 09, 2022 3:32 pm
Welcome to the site, and coal burning, Frog. (By the way, do you "actually" own a WRX Super-poo?)
Not sure what fuel your house uses for winter warmth, but if it's oil, propane, or wood, you'll be happy with coal, as a supplemental source. If it's natural gas, well...consider yourself lucky. Lots of great advice from members here, to make your initial experiences much more pleasant, rather than throwing something at wall, and seeing what sticks. So good luck, and remember, it ain't real, W/O pics. You did OK so far, now lets try for some bottom heavy pics. ;)
Thanks the response!
Yes, I just entered the Subaru world this year. That forum is full of characters too! We have electric heat. The company just raised rates so time to get firing. Also want to have a back up in case SHTF. I have a lot of respect for fire so I wanted to do homework first. Glad to have some action on my first post.
Bottom heavy pics?
Thanks again!

WRXFrog

Post by WRXFrog » Sun. Jan. 09, 2022 4:51 pm

waytomany?s wrote:
Sun. Jan. 09, 2022 12:36 pm
Make sure chimney is clean/clear first. Get a co2 detector next. Test all gaskets. Small paper fire to test for smoke leaks. If you go with bigger wood fire, keep it small unless you pull the hopper.
Thank you for the advice,

Chimney was inspected at time of purchase last year, said it was in good shape. Hasn't been used since. Have a detector, both smoke and CO. I did have some smoke leaking from the paper fire, not much though. Once I got a wood fire going "sans hopper" the smoke issue went away. Chimney was sucking it right up. Could there still be an issue?

Thanks again!

WRXFrog

Post by WRXFrog » Sun. Jan. 09, 2022 4:53 pm

franco b wrote:
Sun. Jan. 09, 2022 1:27 pm
Red coal, not just blue flame to begin filling the hopper.

You should find slots (probably three) to insert a flat poker at grate level to clear ash.
Found them!

Thank you!

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Jan. 09, 2022 4:54 pm

WRXFrog wrote:
Sun. Jan. 09, 2022 4:34 pm

Thanks for the response!
Yes, I just entered the Subaru world this year. That forum is full of characters too! We have electric heat. The company just raised rates so time to get firing. Also want to have a back up in case SHTF. I have a lot of respect for fire so I wanted to do homework first. Glad to have some action on my first post.
Bottom heavy pics?
Thanks again!
LOL. Yeah, bottom heavy, not side-ways. And if you can figure out how to correct that, you're a better man than me. And if you have "electric" heat, :o , my sympathies. Ok for an apartment, but heating a home with it, not for the faint of heart. I've heard a new house, 2x6 walls, more insulation than carter has liver-pills, and the newer electrical services, are better than they were years ago. But an old house like some of us, and "normal" elect. rates, (?) well, you'ld better get that Hanover dialed in quick.

WRXFrog

Post by WRXFrog » Sun. Jan. 09, 2022 4:57 pm

The Ashman wrote:
Sun. Jan. 09, 2022 2:45 pm
I’ve had a Hannover stove for 16 years. I crank it up mid November till mid March only letting it burn out if leaving home for more than 2 days. All I’ll say is it was the best investment I probably ever made. If you need any hints or advise feel free to email me. Rich
Thank you! I already tasted the power today with a simple wood fire. Very happy with the first test drive. I'll be sure to reach out if need be.

WRXFrog

Post by WRXFrog » Sun. Jan. 09, 2022 4:59 pm

McGiever wrote:
Sun. Jan. 09, 2022 1:01 pm
Not CO2...but rather CO detector. 😁
Thank you!

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Sun. Jan. 09, 2022 8:35 pm

Frog, I didn't see them in the pictures but do you have the 3 tools that the Hanover comes with? Should be one that slides over and extends the shaker handle in the back left, you can also use it to turn the door handles (just be careful). Another tool is the slicing knife for the aforementioned slots, and one tool for pulling out the ash pan, lifting the hopper lid, dumping the center grate and opening the door on the right side.

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”