Noob coal user with an old Hanover 1

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Mon. Jan. 10, 2022 4:01 pm

Ooooo no... electric heat. Roll up yer sleeves my friend. Coal is gonna save you a TON of money, literally!

I don't have experience with that stove.. Is it designed for pea size? Reason I ask is because I would think that nut size will be more forgiving and you'll be able to run it hotter if needed. You might struggle getting a lot of heat with pea size and you'll need to be more critical with clearing ash.

WRXFrog
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover 1
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by WRXFrog » Mon. Jan. 10, 2022 5:37 pm

BunkerdCaddis wrote:
Sun. Jan. 09, 2022 8:35 pm
Frog, I didn't see them in the pictures but do you have the 3 tools that the Hanover comes with? Should be one that slides over and extends the shaker handle in the back left, you can also use it to turn the door handles (just be careful). Another tool is the slicing knife for the aforementioned slots, and one tool for pulling out the ash pan, lifting the hopper lid, dumping the center grate and opening the door on the right side.
Yes I have them. One side of the wrench like tool is snapped. Not sure how that happened! Was left by the previous homeowner.

Thank you for checking on me!

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Mon. Jan. 10, 2022 5:42 pm

Lightning wrote:
Mon. Jan. 10, 2022 4:01 pm
... is it designed for pea size? Reason I ask is because I would think that nut size will be more forgiving and you'll be able to run it hotter if needed.
Mine is a Hanover II which is actually the smaller of the two models, they are made for pea or nut, I burn nut in mine without any issues. I kinda wish I had the bigger one... but I'll be taking care of that shortly :D

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sun. Mar. 13, 2022 8:43 pm

WRXFrog wrote:
Mon. Jan. 10, 2022 5:37 pm
Yes I have them. One side of the wrench like tool is snapped. Not sure how that happened! Was left by the previous homeowner.

Thank you for checking on me!
How's it going for you?

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”