coalbrookdale darby

Lanternhillplants

Post by Lanternhillplants » Sun. Dec. 12, 2021 1:33 pm

I have been burning a Coalbrookdale darby wood/ coal stove for 31years. Burning wood only in the shoulder months. The last few years I have noticed the fire being a little more uncontrollable. I have to keep my bottom 2 spinners mostly all the way closed...Chimney is clean and in fine condition, barometric damper is working fine. Doors were just re gasketed as well as the glass. I did the dollar bill check and some incense around all doors. I have some areas with little resistance. but appear to be not leaking with smoke test. Bottom ash pan door is metal on metal and appears to be lined up with no play ...again i did the dollar bill test on the ash pan door and seems fine with just a little resistance. I see no crack or areas of concern on this stove.
Could it be the door gaskets or over the top air? I always thought that bottom air-controlled burn rate? I am burning Blaschak coal and have been for years. Could it be time for a new stove. Thanks to all.

Attachments

IMG_2619.jpg
.JPG | 407.4KB | IMG_2619.jpg
IMG_2677.jpg
.JPG | 709.1KB | IMG_2677.jpg
IMG_2684.jpg
.JPG | 566.3KB | IMG_2684.jpg

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Dec. 13, 2021 6:19 am

Yes, generally it is under-fire air leaks that cause the fire to be less controllable. And over-fire air that makes the fire sluggish to respond. Unless the air leak is above the fire and somehow able to leak past firebed liners to feed in under the fire ?

Could the bottom spinners be a little loose ? Some dampers are kept snug-fitting with a spring and springs can weaken with age and heat.

Paul

Lanternhillplants

Post by Lanternhillplants » Tue. Dec. 14, 2021 11:19 am

Thanks ,Paul for your answer . the bottom spinners are very tight with no play. im starting to think is the door gaskets I was told by someone that is very familiar with the darby and he says they are a very tight stove and operate that way .. I will try to do the gaskets over. Thanks for your help.

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”