Haas Sohn Hopper Question

Upland Mike
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Haas Sohn
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Mini splits

Post by Upland Mike » Sat. Dec. 11, 2021 12:03 am

I have a Haas Sohn Pluto (large 59000 btu model) that I bought used. I have been running it for about a month. It is in the cellar of a new, well insulated house and I am able to keep the 2000 square foot cellar around 72 degrees on a very low setting. I shake the ashes a few times a day and do a thorough knifing each morning with a machete. I think I have figured out how to make the stove run efficiently. There is a recessed opening on the upper back of the hopper that appears to go out into the stove pipe connection. I have not been filling the hopper all the way to the top because I do not know if I should be blocking this opening with coal. I assume the hot gases from the fire get up to the flue outlet via another route but with the stove running I can not get a good look at the internals. Can I fill the hopper up and cover this opening. I assume this opening might be to vent out sulfer gas into the flue. I have been burning wood for over 50 years but this is my first coal stove and I have no manual or diagrams.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Dec. 11, 2021 7:03 am

Welcome to the FORUM. Be patient U--someone with more info then me will come along--my thoughts are---yes, fill the hopper, any air passage will still get through the coal--what type coal are ya burnin--I'm thinkin NUT?? Again--be patient. :)

Upland Mike
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Haas Sohn
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Mini splits

Post by Upland Mike » Sat. Dec. 11, 2021 12:12 pm

Thanks Fred. I am burning nut coal. Hopefully someone with a similar stove will reply. I have some other questions about my stove. Overall I am making the transition from wood to coal but there is a learning curve. I don't miss the wood cutting, moving, splitting, stacking, moving again and cleaning up where it was stacked.

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Mon. Dec. 13, 2021 11:29 am

If it is like my Buderus 3115 that little door is so you can put paper in it and light the paper to get the draft going then you close the door and start your fire normally.

Gonset

Post by Gonset » Mon. Jan. 10, 2022 5:57 am

Does anyone have a manual for this stove? Also operating advice would be great. I had a Gibraltar for years but when I moved it was part of the deal to stay with the house. I just purchased one and it looks pretty good. I think for 75 dollars it was a steal.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers

Bill Havertown Pa.
w3kbs

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”