Manual Pipe Damper with Barometric

Ultralume
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Vigilant II, Godin 3720, Godin 3731
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut and Stove Coal

Post by Ultralume » Tue. Nov. 02, 2021 10:25 pm

I've been looking through various posts trying to get an idea of the general consensus about having both a manual damper and a barometric damper on a coal stove pipe. I only use a 5" barometric "T" damper on a Godin 3727 large oval stove just above the 90 degree elbow that is attached to the outlet port of the manifold. .

The flue manifold on the rear of the stove is installed with the vent outlet on the bottom of the manifold to allow for maximum heat retention. The setting on the damper weight Is for -0.03. I have not measured the actual draft but assume that the damper adjustment is accurate. The damper is more than halfway open during normal operation. The chimney is 18' of 8" stainless steel insulated "Metalbestos" run inside the house keeping it warm so good draft is not a problem.

I burn an appropriate 50-50 mix of nut coal and pea coal. I fill the stove a little above the top of the door so that there is a good coal "seal" for proper airflow through the coal bed. I easily get over 12 hours of burn time with the stove body at 350-400F as measured by a magnetic stick on thermometer located midway between the top of the door and emblem. The stove pipe temperature is 200F max (usually less) measured by a magnetic stick on thermometer about 2 feet above the barometric damper on the pipe.

When poking out ashes and shaking down the grate after 12 hours of burn, I get an almost full pan of ashes. I burn about 25 -30 pounds coal per day continuous burn.

I don't believe that there is anything abnormal about how this stove burns or amount of coal used. Since I'm not certain what " normal " is for this model stove, I'm curious if other 3727 users get similar burn times and stove temperatures. With the burn time-coal usage information I've given, would there be any benefit to adding a MPD to a simple non recirculating stove ?
..such as higher stove temperature for the amount of fuel used because less heat is escaping out the chimney?

HandFire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS 110
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut

Post by HandFire » Wed. Nov. 03, 2021 4:51 pm

If you were to ever use a MPD it should go before the baro. The baro would be set for maximum draft control swings in high winds and the MPD would have to be supervised to keep it operating at a desired draft. You should have a mano in this setup. I would leave your setup alone if your happy as it is set and forget. Your going to have to tinker with the MPD unless that is what your looking for.

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”