Thinking of Godin 3721 or Godin 3731

maineschroeder
Hand Fed Coal Stove: harmon TLC2000
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by maineschroeder » Tue. Oct. 19, 2021 12:13 pm

Hi. I'm new to the forum. Found it doing research for two stoves I found on craigslist. I'm looking to heat our lake house with this stove.... first floor is maybe 900 sq ft, 2nd floor the same and a 3rd floor of maybe 600 sq ft. Anyhow, I found instructions for the 3721 on the 'net, but can't find anything definitive on the 3731. Am concerned with the weight and how to transport. Haven't seen it in person yet, but am getting ready to call about it. Also, I only expect it to heat the first floor. The house is pretty new and has a chimney with two flues. The flue on the first floor was never activated and is currently paneled over where I would expect a fireplace to be. Stupid question, but if I start to remove the panelling, what am I looking for? Thanks.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Tue. Oct. 19, 2021 8:18 pm

Godin stoves are good looking and do heat well. That's the good part.

The ash pan is small, requiring more frequent emptying. They tend to burn front to back and shaking down ash is difficult. I think the models you are referring to are both large (one round and the other oval) with 5 inch smoke outlet, which is good and will heat your 900 square feet. Figure about 200 pounds weight, probably less, so a hand truck should work well in moving. You will need help on stairs. The oval is better looking, but smaller than the large round.

Removing paneling you will be looking for a thimble, a clay pipe opening into the chimney.

maineschroeder
Hand Fed Coal Stove: harmon TLC2000
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by maineschroeder » Wed. Oct. 20, 2021 5:15 am

Thank you. This helps.

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”