Godin 3720 Ash Removal

Ultralume
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Vigilant II, Godin 3720, Godin 3731
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut and Stove Coal

Post by Ultralume » Fri. May. 15, 2020 10:56 pm

As I’m getting used to burning coal in my 3720 I’ve noticed that it burns beautifully for about a day after which it becomes exceedingly difficult to remove ash due to unburnt coals. The fire no longer burns in the grate but above it, most likely due to coals not really touching each other resulting in gaps that prevents proper air flow. Glowing coals drop from above and then stop burning in the grate. What should I do? Push coals and ash down from the top or just open the grate and shovel ashes out? I’ve tried both nut and pea coal and the same thing happens..

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Fri. May. 15, 2020 11:41 pm

Use nut coal. The coal does not burn because not enough ash is cleared from the grate area. Lowering the front grill and shoveling out is dangerous though effective. I would suggest a thin piece of metal slid underneath that front grill, and of course a poke from above to get the coal to drop. I use one half of a barbecue tongs. As always the coal must be loaded above that front grill to prevent air from bypassing the coal.

Ultralume
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Vigilant II, Godin 3720, Godin 3731
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut and Stove Coal

Post by Ultralume » Sat. May. 16, 2020 12:01 am

Thank you for the suggestion. I’ll have to wait until it’s cold out again to try it. I assumed it was the ashes and air gaps since I couldn’t get enough out ..

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”