Chappee 8033 stove less efficient now

Semerson
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chappee 8033

Post by Semerson » Sat. Jan. 11, 2020 7:52 pm

DonB.
That's pretty interesting! I wonder if cannel coal is bituminous rather than anthracite, since it burns easier. Food for thought.

Everyone:
Looks like the poor draft due to a dirty chimney was indeed correct. Pipe wasn't too bad, but in the elbow out of the stove is was at least a quarter blocked off!! Bought a chimney brush and with some help from younger stronger arms, managed to clean the chimney. Had to dissassemble the elbow to clean it, ended up replacing it as it was partially eaten away! Sealed up the leaks at the seams also and resealed the pipes. Started a new fire and Boy Howdy!! The old girl was literally roaring audibly!!
So, thank you to everyone for your advice and wisdom! It is all very much appreciated, I will be sure to pass all I have learned to anyone that needs assistance.
Oh and one more lesson learned.....make sure the ladder is not going to slip out from under you! Fell off the ladder about 8 feet and managed to cushion my fall with a now very swollen and sore elbow!! Thanks again to all. Happy burning and be careful out there!
My sincere thanks,
Scott

Semerson

Post by Semerson » Sat. Jan. 11, 2020 7:54 pm

Board indexAnthracite Coal Heating - Residential & CommercialImported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite

Search…
Skip to content
Chappee 8033 stove less efficient now

Search this topic…
16 posts 2

Semerson
Post by Semerson » Sat. Jan. 11, 2020 7:52 pm

DonB.
That's pretty interesting! I wonder if cannel coal is bituminous rather than anthracite, since it burns easier. Food for thought.

Everyone:
Looks like the poor draft due to a dirty chimney was indeed correct. Pipe wasn't too bad, but in the elbow out of the stove is was at least a quarter blocked off!! Bought a chimney brush and with some help from younger stronger arms, managed to clean the chimney. Had to dissassemble the elbow to clean it, ended up replacing it as it was partially eaten away! Sealed up the leaks at the seams also and resealed the pipes. Started a new fire and Boy Howdy!! The old girl was literally roaring audibly!!
So, thank you to everyone for your advice and wisdom! It is all very much appreciated, I will be sure to pass all I have learned to anyone that needs assistance.
Oh and one more lesson learned.....make sure the ladder is not going to slip out from under you! Fell off the ladder about 8 feet and managed to cushion my fall with a now very swollen and sore elbow!! Thanks again to all. Happy burning and be careful out there!
My sincere thanks,
Scott

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sat. Jan. 11, 2020 8:03 pm

That's awesome news Scott, we're all happy to help :) I hope yer elbow is okay..

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”