Chappee 8033 stove less efficient now

Semerson
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chappee 8033

Post by Semerson » Thu. Jan. 09, 2020 8:26 pm

Hello, new to this forum. Bought a used Chappee 8033 stove last year. It ran pretty good, real good in fact, after getting it going, we could keep the draft control at 3 or 4 and it would burn good for 12 hour cycles before adding more and shaking down the ash. When reloaded we filled it to the top of the grate in front and spread it out even and off we went. This year it has been less efficient the past couple months. Installed a new upper door gasket and did the paper test, it seals good but still seems to burn less hot at higher draft settings......has to be at 5 or 6 now instead of 3 or 4. I usually start it off fresh with charcoal, and the last time I did so, smoke was coming out of the stove seams, both sides at the top corners at the backside, and along the front side seam, this is new, also had some leaks where the black pipe couples with the double lined stainless chimney pipe, new also.
I haven't been loading it to the top of the front grate this year because I thought it might be to high. This stove has the rectangular shaker grates. I would appreciate any advice anyone has.
Thanks, Scott

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Thu. Jan. 09, 2020 9:00 pm

Hmmm... those are symptoms of a weakening draft over a long period of time. My first course of action would be to make sure that the stove pipe and chimney are clear of any debris. In particular that comes to mind is settling of fly ash that may be laying in any horizontal runs of stove pipe or the base of the chimney.

Which part is new, the stove pipe, SS chimney or both?

Semerson

Post by Semerson » Thu. Jan. 09, 2020 9:42 pm

Neither is new, all installed last year when first set up. There is a short section of horizontal pipe out of the stove. I will have a look when it warms up this weekend and let you know what I found. Thank you for the suggestion!

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Thu. Jan. 09, 2020 10:41 pm

The stove pipes and chimney base should be checked at about mid heating season and cleaned if needed. Then also at the end of the heating season they should be cleaned. If they are not cleaned at the end of the season the summertime humidity will react with the fly ash. The two combined create sulfuric acid which will rot the metals quite quickly.

Let us know what you find out with your inspection of the pipe and chimney base :)

Semerson

Post by Semerson » Thu. Jan. 09, 2020 11:39 pm

That's good info, I was not aware of the caustic nature! I will of course get right to that. Any cleaning suggestions I should know about?

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Fri. Jan. 10, 2020 7:08 am

The Chappee has a long horizontal run if it is like the boilers I have seen. All gasses come to the front past the secondary air and upper door, they run the whole length out the back. I think Lightning nailed it right off.

Kevin

Donb
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Chappee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm morning
Coal Size/Type: Nut in both
Other Heating: Propain

Post by Donb » Fri. Jan. 10, 2020 11:26 am

“I haven't been loading it to the top of the front grate this year because I thought it might be to high.“

That... could be your problem.
You have the stove, I have the boiler. The similarity is the front grate in addition to the bottom grate. I would suggest you always keep the front grate filled, never fail to do this. Not doing so will definitely cause an over fire draft. Very little air will go up through the coal bed as it bypasses via the front grate.

On my boiler I use blocking plates across the front grate when starting. That will keep the air under the fire instead of over it or through loose fresh coal. I proved the point up myself with a piece of cardboard cut to tightly fit the opening where the grate is. It needs to be a good tight fit. Once I realized this it was easy to bring back a dying fire.
Don

Semerson

Post by Semerson » Fri. Jan. 10, 2020 1:28 pm

Re: KLOOK. I vacuum out the stove real well every month or so, including the air path thru the heat exchanger on top, it may be there is some ash I missed or thru the run out the back of the stove and the short ( 12 inches) horizontal pipe before the vertical, I'll have to get up on the roof and check the pipe up top, might as well run a brush down the chimney when I get up there. Supposed to warm up this weekend so I will do it then. Thanks!

Semerson

Post by Semerson » Fri. Jan. 10, 2020 1:35 pm

Re: DonB
I did load it up even with the top of the grate last night, burned better but still had to have the draft control up at 6. Last season the stove would have over fired at that setting! Thanks!

Semerson

Post by Semerson » Fri. Jan. 10, 2020 1:43 pm

Photo of the stove and of the coal bed

Attachments

20200110_133800.jpg
.JPG | 344.8KB | 20200110_133800.jpg
20200110_133826.jpg
.JPG | 370.3KB | 20200110_133826.jpg

cabinover
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid Axeman Anderson 130
Baseburners & Antiques: Sparkle #12
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Buckwheat, Nut
Other Heating: LP Hot air. WA TX for coal use.

Post by cabinover » Fri. Jan. 10, 2020 7:40 pm

You didn't mention if your coal supply had changed. That can be a huge factor both in heat and ash produced as well as how much draft it needs.

Semerson

Post by Semerson » Fri. Jan. 10, 2020 8:51 pm

cabinover.......Good thought, however same coal as before.....Lehigh anthracite nut coal. Thanks!

cabinover
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid Axeman Anderson 130
Baseburners & Antiques: Sparkle #12
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Buckwheat, Nut
Other Heating: LP Hot air. WA TX for coal use.

Post by cabinover » Sat. Jan. 11, 2020 8:12 am

Well there goes my volley then. Does there appear to be much more smaller pieces in this year's batch maybe? Is it the same batch of coal as last year or just the same brand? Wonder if they are using a different mine? Just throwing ideas out there...

Semerson

Post by Semerson » Sat. Jan. 11, 2020 9:59 am

cabinover.......looks to be the same mixture of size. 50 deg out today so I'm going to tackle the chimney and see where that gets me. Also going to reseal the minor leaks on the stove seams.

Donb
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Chappee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm morning
Coal Size/Type: Nut in both
Other Heating: Propain

Post by Donb » Sat. Jan. 11, 2020 7:06 pm

I’ve wondered why Chappee would build stoves with an open front grate. The design is totally unsuitable for anthracite if precautions preventing drafting over the fire are not taken.

Then it occurred to me...what kind of coal is found in France where they were made?
Google to the rescue.
Turns out they have an abundance of cannel coal. It’s often called ‘candle’ coal because it can be lit with a match on an open grate merely sighing in a fireplace. Like firewood.
Over fire draft concerns are not an issue!
But since it’s not available here in the Northeast or even NEPA the precautions continue.

An online manual I read a while ago suggested the boiler’s grate should be kept full to the bottom of the door. I don’t do that but I do keep the front grate covered at all times with something. Burning coals, ash or cardboard when starting a new fire.

Don

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”