Guid to stoves across the pond: multi-fuel anthracite/wood

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Dec. 08, 2019 5:31 pm

Here’s a link I found that may be helpful to some.

Many are for small spaces while others are bigger stoves.

I am sure there are other brands of stoves available across the pond. Take a look at the brands in this link and if you can find additional ones, by all means, feel free to add them to this list to help other people into the future that may be looking for an imported stove.

Please keep in mind:
To see each brands entire line of stoves you must visit their webpage.

Hopefully all these like will show up for people to see. Maybe someone can help in this regard.

Follow the link, then click on “stoves”.
https://www.edinburghstoves.co.uk/efel.php
Last edited by Hoytman on Sun. Dec. 08, 2019 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Dec. 08, 2019 5:34 pm

Can a moderator add an “e” to the word “Guid” in the thread description, so that it says the word, “Guide”, then delete this post?

Thank you!!

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Sun. Dec. 08, 2019 6:47 pm

I bought a Hi-Flame a few weeks ago. Just waiting on delivery. The American operating instructions say wood only but if you read the U.K. Version of the exact same stove it says it will burn coal.

They dont recommend bituminous but they don’t say not to. They essentially don’t recommend it because of smoke and apparently there are areas that have banned smoke. That’s what I’ll be trying in it as an experiment. I’m interested in seeing how the tertiary secondaries burn off the volitiles

They recommend smokeless coal. This seems to be a coal cube manufactured from anthracite.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Dec. 08, 2019 7:55 pm

I would want to call them in UK and ask for sure if stove innards haven’t been changed for sale in U.S., but I would do this with any maker from over there.

Where did you get your Hi-flame? I could have sworn I seen one in a box store here not too long ago, but I could be wrong.

I think many burn wood, those briquettes or anthracite. Some may not. As I said, each person should be sure to research each stove/maker.

fig
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Sun. Dec. 08, 2019 10:53 pm

I ordered it from Amazon. I looked as the exploded view on each one and the parts. They look identical. I’m not recommending anyone burn coal in them as the US instructions say wood only. I’m just going to experiment.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Dec. 09, 2019 12:17 pm

Hey, good info.

If the exploded plan views are identical then I wouldn’t hesitate to try some anthracite in it. Of course, some good old fashioned common sense should be used by first testing the burn/stove outside.

If those plans are identical then the only thing that separates a stove over there from one here is epa regulations. It’s not illegal to use a wood combo stove just illegal to advertise and sell a new “combo” stove.

To further complicate this then emission rates on wood burners, as I’m sure you already know...I’m just explaining it for those reading into the future...are being lowered even further. They don’t want people burning coal, and now the attack is on wood...they really don’t want people hestingneith wood either. Because if regulations stove prices keep climbing and less people are using stoves of any kind. Wow...big oil and gas love that. Ho hum...beats the drum.

DSM stoves answered by creating the D.S. Machine Comfortmax with secondary combustion air tubes to burn off the smoke, but I doubt it will meet new 2020 reg’s for wood.

If someone could create a a stove to meet those wood burning emission rates while still burning anthracite, then I don’t see a problem with them advertising a “combo” stove, but there may be more to it than I realize or that I’m aware of.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Mon. Dec. 09, 2019 12:54 pm

fig wrote:
Sun. Dec. 08, 2019 10:53 pm
I ordered it from Amazon. I looked as the exploded view on each one and the parts. They look identical. I’m not recommending anyone burn coal in them as the US instructions say wood only. I’m just going to experiment.
Make sure the glass is made for coal and not just for wood stoves. It should tell in the parts list what its made of. That would go with any stove sold as wood stoves.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Dec. 09, 2019 3:25 pm

What’s the difference, if any? I mean I know it’s not standard glass, but I sort of figured either of the few names of stove glass would work.

I know the wood glass seems thinner and I forget the name as I type...dag-nab-it...but I noticed on my Hitzer it has thicker...5mm I think...of Robax...at least that’s the name I think I seen while at Hitzer.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Dec. 09, 2019 4:06 pm

Stateside I wouldn't look for any combo stoves to ever be approved or built for resell. And nobody's stopping residential coal burning...

Seems that any stove small enough for your coal burning needs would be too small for burning your wood...

Where as, any stove big enough for your wood burning would be too large for burning your coal...
Good thing you still got your oil furnace in the mean time. ;)

Bill, have you ever looked at a Harmam TLC 2000? Might be a niche stove for your quest...

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Mon. Dec. 09, 2019 5:22 pm

Hoytman wrote:
Mon. Dec. 09, 2019 3:25 pm
What’s the difference, if any? I mean I know it’s not standard glass, but I sort of figured either of the few names of stove glass would work.

I know the wood glass seems thinner and I forget the name as I type...dag-nab-it...but I noticed on my Hitzer it has thicker...5mm I think...of Robax...at least that’s the name I think I seen while at Hitzer.
Heat tolerance. Wood stove glass will not take the intense heat from coal. I dont have the names of the ceramic type used in my head but likely someone else does. Romax, the one you mentioned is one. I may also have it spelled wrong.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Dec. 09, 2019 5:30 pm

-Neoceram
-Pyroceram
-Robax

Ha! My brain...I had to look the first two up.

fig

Post by fig » Tue. Dec. 10, 2019 11:09 am

Well I need to make a comment on the stove I ordered from amazon. It turns out it is a scam. They were listed for $190. I jumped on it thinking it was a cyber Monday bargain. It’s a scam. Amazon is refunding my money. So be careful ordering a Hi Flame stove off Amazon for what appears to be a “too good to be true” price. It’s not true. No bituminous experiment forthcoming.

kpatterson
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Petite Godin Stove
Coal Size/Type: Nut/anthracite
Other Heating: propane and oil

Post by kpatterson » Thu. Dec. 12, 2019 7:02 pm

We have a Petite Godin in our workshop. This is our second one. We like its appearance. Don't be fooled by beauty, this little stove is a real trooper. We have burned bituminous coal and hard wood over the years. Now we are using Anthracite bagged coal from Penn. Anthracite requires a very hot bed of coals to start burning while bituminous doesn't require as much heat to start burning. In response to the post concerning using coal in a wood burning stove-- don't do it. Bituminous coal burns hotter than wood and anthracite burns hotter than bituminous. Your wood burning stove may tolerate the higher temperatures for some time but the pipes connecting the stove to the flue will lose integrity and could easily have holes burned in them requiring them to be replaced. Worse yet, starting a fire.
Concerning the post that felt German coal is/was better than US coal. No way. If you can get your hands on it the easiest starting coal and almost as good as anthracite is Pocahontas coal or coal mined in Southern W.Va. Not as messy as other bituminous coal (smoky, clinkers, fly ash, etc.). Most of the mines are closed there but search around and there are a few still operating for steam coal. The absolute best that we have found is the nut size Anthracite from Pennsylvania sold in 40 pound bags. In our area we get it from a local retailer but we are considering getting a ton of it next year directly from the processing plant in Pennsylvania.

kpatterson
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Petite Godin Stove
Coal Size/Type: Nut/anthracite
Other Heating: propane and oil

Post by kpatterson » Thu. Dec. 12, 2019 7:03 pm

Hi,
I was looking at the $190 stove from Amazon and wondered what was the catch. Thanks for your update.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Thu. Dec. 12, 2019 7:55 pm

Pocahontas coal. Hmmnnn....

That’s a new one on me. Familiar with eastern KY bit, or Easter KY lump. Been around it many times growing up...but Pocahontas I hadn’t heard of... like canal coal...or whatever they call it. Never heard of it before joining here.

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”