Guid to stoves across the pond: multi-fuel anthracite/wood

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Thu. Dec. 12, 2019 8:02 pm

The catch was I never got the stove. Never got any replies to my inquiries. Finally contacted Amazon and they agreed it was a scam and refunded the money. I have no idea how amazon pursues it from here.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Thu. Dec. 12, 2019 8:15 pm

At least some Pocahontas is or was blacksmithing coal. There are a lot of varieties of soft coal.

Nice post KP. Good description of the different coals being used in your stove. i dont think i agree about not burning coal in a wood stove because of the stove pipes. You just have to check their condition a time or 2 a year like you would any coal stove... but I suppose people with no knowledge of coal burning may not pay attention and then you would be right. Again, nice post.

fig, Amazon barely cares. They are well known for their bad sellers backing out of sales. They get so many fee's from their sellers they just dont care. It happens with electronic sales a lot too. But at least the buyer doesnt lose their money.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Thu. May. 28, 2020 9:16 pm

Old thread. Must have missed this. Didn’t mean to ignore you, Larry.
McGiever wrote:
Mon. Dec. 09, 2019 4:06 pm
Stateside I wouldn't look for any combo stoves to ever be approved or built for resell. And nobody's stopping residential coal burning...

Seems that any stove small enough for your coal burning needs would be too small for burning your wood...

Where as, any stove big enough for your wood burning would be too large for burning your coal...
Good thing you still got your oil furnace in the mean time. ;)

Bill, have you ever looked at a Harmam TLC 2000? Might be a niche stove for your quest...
Of course, you asked this before I found my Hitzer.

Actually, I looked at the Harmon wood version in person and thought about it for awhile until I heard they had some issues being down draft stoves.

I also looked at the Legacy coal version of this stove online. Haven’t seen one in person, which I’d like to do. I would still want it for wood and coal, but I have no idea if they are similarly made on the inside, or exactly the same. I do like this stoves features though whether only for wood, only for coal, or as a Combo. It would really be interesting to see if they are the same on the inside. Would love throwing in the grill grate for winter grilling of chops.

Haven’t read too much about the coal stoves here, but I know some folks have them.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Thu. May. 28, 2020 9:19 pm

https://www.gr8fires.co.uk/thorma-bozen-5-kw-blac ... ning-stove

Have no idea how good or well built this stove is, but I thought I’d post a link to it. Looks sort of like the Jotul ...507 is it?

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Thu. May. 28, 2020 10:46 pm

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/wood-burning-stov ... uel-stoves

Interesting article with some interesting stove owner statistics. Basically, more people in Britain own multi-fuel stoves than straight wood burning stoves.

Another interesting tidbit on British anthracite. Apparently they burn in as we do, but they must also process anthracite and add some forms of biomass to it. Some of it almost looks similar to our processed charcoal for grilling here in the states...it has that smooth look, but is round about tennis ball size.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. May. 29, 2020 8:23 am

Bill, You make a key observation there...multi-fuel British stoves do NOT, in fact, burn 100% mined anthracite.

But rather they burn a mix of biomass and anthracite fines compressed together into a uniform shaped briquette. Consistent burn but might be 'blended down' to the likes of lignite as for heat.

Multifuel there is then wood and 'hopped up' wood.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Fri. May. 29, 2020 9:12 am

McGiever wrote:
Fri. May. 29, 2020 8:23 am
Bill, You make a key observation there...multi-fuel British stoves do NOT, in fact, burn 100% mined anthracite.

But rather they burn a mix of biomass and anthracite fines compressed together into a uniform shaped briquette. Consistent burn but might be 'blended down' to the likes of lignite as for heat.

Multifuel there is then wood and 'hopped up' wood.
I thought the same thing. I still don’t know what is right which is not a big deal. I’ve slept since last night but somewhere in the link above, maybe following the link to a given brand, I thought I read just what you stated, but I also thought I read where some burn mined anthracite. I’ll see if I can find and if I do I’ll post the information. I may be all wet though. Could be who wrote the article was all wet as well.

That certainly wouldn’t be a good thing for someone searching for an imported coal stove and thinking they could use it here for burning anthracite.

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Fri. May. 29, 2020 9:25 am

Bill, go buy a Antique heater.

They are like men and women. Might not be as pretty as can be or just the right size, but they sure work good.

Holdencoal

Post by Holdencoal » Fri. May. 29, 2020 10:38 am

Attachments

17EDE3D1-2764-4A25-8EDB-87420CEC5061.png
.PNG | 933.8KB | 17EDE3D1-2764-4A25-8EDB-87420CEC5061.png
DF4A38C5-70C1-4B2E-B99C-FD582E8FFF3C.png
.PNG | 495.7KB | DF4A38C5-70C1-4B2E-B99C-FD582E8FFF3C.png

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. May. 29, 2020 12:17 pm

Hoytman wrote:
Thu. May. 28, 2020 10:46 pm
https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/wood-burning-stov ... uel-stoves

Interesting article with some interesting stove owner statistics. Basically, more people in Britain own multi-fuel stoves than straight wood burning stoves.
46%
of stove owners have a wood burning stove.
Wait a minute Bill, If article claims wood stoves account for 46% of stoves, remember the other 54% is split between both the multi-fuels and the wood pellet stoves...so multi-fuel could not be the majority.

Pellet stove, I would guess, makes up a good percentage of all stoves in the UK. :annoyed:
Pellets are delivered in UK by same means as coal is delivered here in the US as many pellet burners have bins getting filled from trucks from the street.

No matter how you slice it...in UK or US, burning wood wants to set in bed of wood ashes (air from above) to burn best, and coal wants to burn on suspended grates and get it's air from below.
That's the universal rule. And that's not just my personal take on the subject...the same referenced article lays it out that same way...

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Fri. May. 29, 2020 1:18 pm

To be fair, it didn't say the pellet stoves were in the 54% either. The article said, "...and 54% have a multi-fuel stove." I just assumed when I read the article and posted they were not including the pellet stoves in those number sets.

It is a good point you bring up and good thought, and it would be nice to know which group they are putting the pellet stoves in, if at all. If you look at their pellet stoves, like most of ours, they all have a hopper. The wood stoves and multi-fuel stoves for the most part do not have a hopper. Based on that, I am guessing they are only referring to those two groups of stove owners, wood and multi-fuel. Those numbers may likely be different if total stoves were to be looked at and counted, counting three groups and not just the two. I'd say you're right that there are likely a lot of pellet stoves in use. Hard to say, Larry. Good thought! The information of total stoves including pellet stoves may be mentioned on the site, I just haven't spotted it yet.

Not sure why you mentioned that last part. I don't disagree with any of it. The only thing I would add is each stove is better suited for it's own fuel. However, being multi-fuel was why those stoves got 54% of at least two groups of stoves. People over there must like the option to burn both.

With my 354 obviously won't be efficient on wood. Well, with the bi-metallic it should be more efficient than the wood stove I took out, but not by today's standards of a great and efficient wood burner. I'm not so sure just yet someone can say the 354 is less efficient than a 50-93 when loaded with the same amount of fuel by weight, if only burn time is counted. Obviously, there are advantages for the 50-93. For me that's sort of what appealed to me about my particular stove. At the time I wasn't sure if I wanted to give up wood. I can't say yet that I'm ready to give it up, simply because I like burning wood, but I think I am much, much further in that direction than before. Coal will certainly spoil you. When my 4 cord is gone, I may not replace it. Only really keeping some of it for bon-fire's now. Oh, I'll keep some wood on hand for emergency, but not 8-10 cord, maybe not even 4 cord. LOL!

Wood is still much more work, but I'd like to try a Blaze King Princess or Ultra on some good dry wood and just see what kind of burn times I can get with it after I extend my chimney. Those long 30-40+ hour burn times without tending or shaking would be nice except for re-filling when the stove is empty. I certainly wouldn't spend $4000.00 to try either of them though. LOL!! I have three less zero's in my Hitzer. :lol:

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”