New to coal stoves

Tonispinone
Other Heating: Gas and wood fire

Post by Tonispinone » Wed. Oct. 23, 2019 1:24 pm

We are looking at coal stoves. We moved from CA, where we used a wood pellet stove, to PA and are currently heating with natural gas and a wood stove. The coal stove will be in the basement. We are trying to decide between a Stoker stove and a manual stove. Since we heated with pellets in the past we have a basic understanding of how the stoker stoves will operate. We are concerned about power outages in our very rural area North Central PA. Since we heated last winter with a wood stove we believe we have an idea of the effort it takes to maintain a coal fire (with the addition of a more difficult start and having to use the shaker system). We've looked into Legacy, Keystoker, Alaska, and DS. Is one brand any better than the others? Most common point of breakdown? Do they all have good customer service? Parts availability? We don't want a headache, we just want to stop getting up in the middle of the night to tend the wood fire. Thanks!

This is cross-posted on the stoker stove section.

Qtown1835
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker '81 KA4 (online 1/16/17)
Coal Size/Type: WAS Lehigh Rice (TBD)
Other Heating: EFM SPK600

Post by Qtown1835 » Wed. Oct. 23, 2019 2:02 pm

Key factors to consider.
1.Stoker requires power, if you have no power it does not work.
2. Manual stove needs to be tended usually 2x daily, stoker can go several days before ashing.
3.Coal is MUCH easier to tend than a woods stove.

I have used both and i prefer the stoker, to each their own.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Wed. Oct. 23, 2019 2:26 pm

You left out Hitzer which has a good reputation.

In a manual stove I would insist that the stove have a hopper and bi-metal thermostat for air control.

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Mon. Oct. 28, 2019 6:03 pm

Ton start your fire with matchlite or equal charcoal .When charcoal is glowing add a layer of coal every few minutes .Leave a small area of Glowing Coal to act is a Pilot light .Fill the Firebox Full To Top Of Firebrick .Any further problema Ask Questions .We Are here to Help /.jack

Jeanie
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hand Fed Coal Stove Hitzer 983.
Coal Size/Type: Nut coal and stove coal.
Other Heating: Heat pump

Post by Jeanie » Fri. Feb. 21, 2020 4:26 pm

I own a 983 Hitzer. Love it. Close to 28yrs old. Bought it when I had my log home built. Never had a problem.
But you know what I don't fill the coal up to the top of the firebrick. I used to but learned you don't have to do that. I get a great fire when I just go up half way of the brick. If it's going to be a real cold night, I will put a little more on it. Blashak coal is the best.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Feb. 21, 2020 5:05 pm

Nice to hear all that J--whatever works for ya is what ya should stick with--YES on the Blaschak--been using nothing but for 10+ yrs. Again, great news. Thanx for the update :) For the record how big is that log home & remember, we love pix!! LOL

11ultra103
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93, DS Comfortmax 75
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by 11ultra103 » Mon. Feb. 24, 2020 9:52 pm

Tonispinone wrote:
Wed. Oct. 23, 2019 1:24 pm
We are looking at coal stoves. We moved from CA, where we used a wood pellet stove, to PA and are currently heating with natural gas and a wood stove. The coal stove will be in the basement. We are trying to decide between a Stoker stove and a manual stove. Since we heated with pellets in the past we have a basic understanding of how the stoker stoves will operate. We are concerned about power outages in our very rural area North Central PA. Since we heated last winter with a wood stove we believe we have an idea of the effort it takes to maintain a coal fire (with the addition of a more difficult start and having to use the shaker system). We've looked into Legacy, Keystoker, Alaska, and DS. Is one brand any better than the others? Most common point of breakdown? Do they all have good customer service? Parts availability? We don't want a headache, we just want to stop getting up in the middle of the night to tend the wood fire. Thanks!

This is cross-posted on the stoker stove section.
Welcome to Pennsylvania, must be pretty boring here compared to CA! I have been told that both Hitzer and DS have great customer service. I spoke with a gentleman from DS earlier today and he was very knowledgeable and was very nice. I couldnt get off the phone with him, he wanted to tell me everything he knows!

Anyway, one thing fore sure I'd look for in a hand fired or a hand fired hopper stove is the Bi metallic temperature control, which both DS and Hitzer use. I'm not sure who else uses that style air inlet or even if anyone else does. But it is nice to just set the dial where you want it and the stove operates itself. One thing I can say about a hopper fed stove is tending times are fast. I have a Hitzer in my garage, and all I do is empty the ash pan from the last tending time, shake the new ash, and open the hopper and fill the coal. Most times I'll leave the ash door open for a bit just to get the new coal burning hot to burn off the volatile gasses. Just dont ever forget that ash door is open, and dont walk away from the stove with the door open. All in all my tending time takes between 5 and 20 minutes I'd say depending how much fresh coal I put in.

I personally like hand fired or hopper stoves, I think they give a more enjoyable view of the fire. I dont really like the stokers. Plus with hand fired theres no electric involved.

Most stoves do just fine without a blower.

It all comes down to personal preference, what kind of stove you like, what things you like and dislike and can live with or without. Like I said I really find the bi metallic damper is a great set up and thats one of the things I'd like in any stove I purchase. A hopper stove or a hand fired stove would suit me fine as well. I can deal with the 12 hour tending times with coal compared to every couple hours with wood, which is what I'm waiting to do right now, waiting for the coals to burn down in the wood stove in my house to load it for the night. The work you put into wood is way more than coal.

Starting a coal fire is not that difficult either, all I do for mine is start a kindling fire, keep adding a few small pieces of wood and then start shoveling the coal in, couple shovels at a time, let it burn, then shovel in a few more, let that burn, keep doing that until the stove is full and then set my air inlet how I like. Think it takes me an hour or so to get the stove going.

Anyway best of luck to you, tons of great people here on the forum and tons of knowledge. Any stove model youre interested in you can use the search at the top right and find information on, or for any other information for that matter

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Mon. Feb. 24, 2020 9:58 pm

Hitzer and DS...
How big is the house, layout and location of stove...

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Apr. 26, 2020 8:43 pm

CapeCoaler wrote:
Mon. Feb. 24, 2020 9:58 pm
Hitzer and DS...
How big is the house, layout and location of stove...
...and the chimney...where it’s located, how tall, masonry or stainless steel and inside diameter round or square.

I might add, it helps if you already have a stove in your house. What I mean is, if you have a wood stove you have a ball park idea of what temperature to run that stove to maintain your desired house temperature. Knowing this temperature is helpful when getting and starting a new coal stove and setting the bi-metallic thermostat.

Your first start-up with a new coal stove with a bi-metallic thermostat will be your hardest start. Having a way to measure outside stove temps is helpful for reaching the house maintenance temperature. Use an infrared laser gun for most accurate temperature readings or magnet thermometers. Having the laser can let you know how accurate the magnets are. Having an idea of stove temp to room maintenance temp, with your temp reading tools can really make starting your stove much easier the first time. It’s not hard at all with those two things.

Once you know how/where to set your thermostat, then each burning season is as simple as can be. You won’t even have to mess with the dial on the back...the thermostat. Open the damper, open the ash pan, get a fire going with kindling or matchlite charcoal, add some coal and let it ignite, add more coal in a couple layers. As you’re doing this take temp readings on the stove with your IR gun or magnet and once that temp is reached the stove will run itself. All you have to do is keep adding coal until it’s full.

One thing on safety I will mention is if the bi-metallic should ever fail...break...by design they will close automatically and keep the stove from over-firing.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Apr. 26, 2020 8:44 pm

Snot! Double post...

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”