Finiky Franco Belge

riverrat58
Hand Fed Coal Stove: franco belge 144
Coal Size/Type: pea

Post by riverrat58 » Sun. Oct. 20, 2019 10:07 am

Hey y'all, just purchased a 144.08.02 Franco Belge to my lack of inspection before buying from a guy that at this point not sure if it was known that the air draft box I'll call it a manifold that goes from side to side has a crack at the bottom edge across the rear.(tried to get a hold of seller but did not get back to me) I found this out when testing the draft. I took everything apart and it was fairly cleaned. There was hardly any ash or soot when i took off the clean out plates. So i caulked it with the correct materials. I have descent experience with coal stoves. My last house I heated with a Harman and after getting to know draft settings it was twice a day fill with ease. This Franco with all I have read are temperamental and Im having a problem with keeping it lit. It will burn good for hours (even had it going for 24 hours) and then it starts to peter out and have to build up with coals again to get pea size coal lit again. I even noticed at one point when the stove was going good the coal in the holding hopper was burning and the bottom main plate that sits on the the side plates was glowing. To hot? The draft knob on side Ive been playing with. After cleaning out the mechanism for the control I see how it's basically the draft adjustment like other stoves that have a slider draft door with slots. Sorry for the length of info but the wife been not happy with this performance. I know I just need to get to know the stove and the feeding system but unhappy wife makes unhappy life if ya catch my drift.After my repair on the crack do you think this stove is safe to heat my 1000 sq ft home? Anyone that can give me any pointers or info would greatly be appreciated.(b4 my divorce hopefully). Thank you

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Oct. 20, 2019 10:41 am

Damn, where's Franco B when ya need him??????????????????????????? LOL

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sun. Oct. 20, 2019 11:53 am

First, set the hopper as high as it will go for maximum bed depth.

Test draft with a lit piece of twisted paper held to the side outlets with the door open. Flame should pull in strongly.

Once burning coal is up to hopper level, coal must be added to hopper to gain maximum bed depth.

A slowly dying fire can happen if the bed is ash bound, or draft is poor, or thermostat flap is not opening. Check for flap opening with flashlight. There is a smaller flap within the large flap that opens first.

The fire pot is small, so has to be shaken down every 8 hours, except with very low fire. Shake plus use slicing poker in all three slots and be sure to close slots when done.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Oct. 20, 2019 1:21 pm

Ahhhhhhh, there ya are!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

riverrat58

Post by riverrat58 » Sun. Oct. 20, 2019 1:38 pm

Franco mod & freetown fred Much appreciated, whats the space needed for auto feed to work? I just rechecked everything and bottom plate to the auto feed i had in backwards. I see the 3 steps in the side brackets. Does the plate sit on these for 3 different settings or go right in front of the side brackets? And I just replaced the door and clean out gasket. Do you need to wait 12 hours like suggested in order to use? I dont have 3 slots in back its open all the way across and are the hopper settings your talking about the same brackets that I mention that the bottom hopper plate sits on. Thank you so much for your quick responce

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Sun. Oct. 20, 2019 3:42 pm

Yes, the bottom hopper plate, which is thick and heavy, sits in the highest notches of the support brackets.

The three slots are uncovered in the front when you move the two shaker handles to the left. They are to be used with the slicing poker to further clear ash. Shaking alone is usually not sufficient . If left open overfire will result in the front of the fire pot from the extra air.

I don;t think you have to wait.

riverrat58

Post by riverrat58 » Sun. Oct. 20, 2019 5:20 pm

wow, thank you very much. But the size gap between heat shield and front plate is huge 3 to 4 inch. So how do you fill the hopper up from uptop door? after you your coal is burning good from scratch?I did have it in front of 3 step bracket and with that small gap as i would shake it coal would replace what I was shaking out ie self feed? Thanks for your infom I obviously don't have a manual for this stove.

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Sun. Oct. 20, 2019 6:07 pm

riverrat58 wrote:
Sun. Oct. 20, 2019 5:20 pm
wow, thank you very much. But the size gap between heat shield and front plate is huge 3 to 4 inch. So how do you fill the hopper up from uptop door? after you your coal is burning good from scratch?I did have it in front of 3 step bracket and with that small gap as i would shake it coal would replace what I was shaking out ie self feed? Thanks for your infom I obviously don't have a manual for this stove.
Yes, that gap is about right. The coal will slope dowd frn the hopper to the front. Just open top fill door and pour in coal to top. Push to sides to get more in. Top off after every tending.

riverrat58

Post by riverrat58 » Sun. Oct. 20, 2019 7:19 pm

sorry for so many questions but it smokes terribly in the beginning until i get a good fire going. Is this due to not enough draft. My stack is not as high as my peak. And i cant fill the top hopper up until i have a sufficient fire going with coals from wood, is this correct? Have you ever used charcoal to start your coal? i read this yesterday and wouldnt think its hot enough. thanks again from asmokeyhouse ....but clearing

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Sun. Oct. 20, 2019 8:32 pm

What size is your chimney and construction, is it on an outside wall? Is the stove upstairs or in the basement?

Charcoal is the best for starting and least smokey. I use a sheet metal plate hung over the open door for starting and to avoid getting the glass smoked up. Charcoal is far hotter than plain wood, which is why it was used in the old iron furnaces to melt the iron from ore. Open the ash door when starting for maximum draft.

Try opening a window when starting and see if draft establishes quicker.

You only add coal to the hopper after establishing a good coal fire in layers up to the bottom of the hopper.

Franco Belge stoves are not easy drafting because the flue passages are convelited and the stack temperature low. Too big and cold a chimney might require lining.

Get a carbon monoxide detector. Draft must be reliable with no danger of backdraft under low burning conditions and poor atmospheric conditions.

riverrat58

Post by riverrat58 » Sun. Oct. 20, 2019 10:15 pm

Image[/img]The chimney is 5" x 15' . Its a triple wall insulted stainless steel, a contractor put it in for me and right behind my house ,approximately 3' starts the mountain. I think the flue should be a little higher. I'll post pictures tomorrow .The house is rancher/old fishing cabin that rooms were just added onto end of house when needed 🤔. Low ceilings and rooms are 18' deep and the stove is in the middle room. Right now the stove is working great. I'm just getting ready to start to fill the hopper. What keeps the hopper from igniting entirety? I greatly appreciate all your advice. You've have been a tremendous help. Happy wife,happy life.😉

Attachments

20191004_190533.jpg
.JPG | 645.6KB | 20191004_190533.jpg
EFFECTS.jpg
.JPG | 1.1MB | EFFECTS.jpg

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Sun. Oct. 20, 2019 10:54 pm

House is neat and pretty.

Triple wall chimney is designed to keep things cool for the very hot temperatures in the stack of wood stoves. coal is better served with double wall insulated to keep the heat in. What is the inside dimension of your chimney?

Your installation must use non combustible material for wall protection and hearth. Your clearances also look too tight.

Buy the CO detector.

I found a manual for you.

Attachments

Franco belge.pdf
.PDF | 299KB | Franco belge.pdf

riverrat58

Post by riverrat58 » Mon. Oct. 21, 2019 12:27 am

A real big thank you for the manual. You truly were a blessing today. I guess it is still true, all you had to do is ask is what my pops would tell me when I was a little guy. Yeah I moved here from Wilmington Delaware. My wife found this on the internet. We were selling a house in Wilmington and wanted to get out of the city so this is what we got a real good deal on it and bought it from State cop and it sits on the Susquehanna River in upstate Pa. appreciate the compliment have a real good night. take care

riverrat58

Post by riverrat58 » Sat. Nov. 02, 2019 9:47 am

would you know why my Franco 144 2 wont go higher than 200 degrees. even with control knob on 8. Could this be a flue/draft issue? hope you get this. Thank you, riverrat

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Sat. Nov. 02, 2019 10:22 am

With the air setting at 8 it should be over firing.

With a flashlight verify that the air flap is indeed open wide.
If it is, then poor draft or excessive ash buildup can b suspected. Air leaks around the clean out ports could kill draft through the coal bed also. You should be expecting to burn about 40 pounds of coal, per day, at high setting. How much are you burning?

Measuring stove temperature on stove top is deceiving, since the coal in the hopper blocks heat to the top. Measure stove pipe temperature instead. Can you hold your hand on the pipe comfortably? There really is not a good spot on the stove to measure temp.

Look at the fire. Dull red? Bright red verging on yellow?

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”