Godin Stove Approved Floor

Richtdow
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Godin Le Grande

Post by Richtdow » Tue. Sep. 10, 2019 2:52 pm

The UL information on the stove data plate doesn't specify floor requirements from what I can tell. Does anyone know what the UL approved requirements are for the stove and/or where I may be able to find them?

At the moment I'm forced into having to adhere to the NFPA 2-6" of clearance floor standards. I cannot visualize how that would even look with hollow masonry open to allow air circulation. Does anyone have a picture of a hearth foundation completed to this standard?

Thank you,

Richtdow

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Tue. Sep. 10, 2019 3:43 pm

This specifies dimensions. It does not specify construction. 8 inches on the sides and 16 inches on the front.

A larger hearth is nicer to also park a coal scuttle and tools.

The construction I favor is a sheet of metal, followed by a half inch of cement board, followed by ceramic tile. With the stove in use, you should be able to hold your hand comfortably on the floor under the stove.
Godin Advertisement b.jpg
.JPG | 311.5KB | Godin Advertisement b.jpg

Richtdow

Post by Richtdow » Tue. Sep. 10, 2019 4:02 pm

Interesting. I didn't see any spec for floor thickness but you're using less than an inch of materials.

"With the stove in use, you should be able to hold your hand comfortably on the floor under the stove." So you're saying that directly under the stove on the floor doesn't get very warm at all? This implies that the materials you're using are more than adequate.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Tue. Sep. 10, 2019 4:31 pm

Richtdow wrote:
Tue. Sep. 10, 2019 4:02 pm
Interesting. I didn't see any spec for floor thickness but you're using less than an inch of materials.

"With the stove in use, you should be able to hold your hand comfortably on the floor under the stove." So you're saying that directly under the stove on the floor doesn't get very warm at all? This implies that the materials you're using are more than adequate.
Yes. The stove has an ash pan plus the stove bottom spaced well below the grate with burning coal. If you wish you could add a piece of sheet metal directly under the stove, spaced an inch above the floor. I used that construction with no added sheet metal, with a Godin oval with no problem.

The final say, of course , is up to an inspector, if you intend to have it inspected. Most old parlor stoves just used a metal pan that the stove sat on, but the legs were longer than a Godin.

Richtdow

Post by Richtdow » Wed. Sep. 11, 2019 7:13 am

That's great! I didn't even think about the floor of the stove being the top of my clearance. That changes a lot of the calculations and makes sense from a heat and mass transfer perspective. I've pinged my inspector for his input before proceeding because ultimately he gives it a go/no-go.

Thank you!

Richtdow

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Sep. 11, 2019 8:13 am

When I had a stove I used a piece of slate from a pool table. It was very heavy though as I recall.

AllanD
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HAND FIRED HARMON
Coal Size/Type: STOVE
Other Heating: Oil fired hotwater baseboard

Post by AllanD » Wed. Feb. 12, 2020 9:49 pm

The Only time I had to have a stove installation inspected it was a wood stove ("boss") in a concrete block garage and the inspector was curious about why there was a 4'x4' sheet of "bright" aluminum diamond plate against the block wall behind the stove

It served two purposes 1)to reflect heat into the garage instead of heating an un-insulated wall
2)to avoid baking the bee hive that was inside the concrete block wall.

It was a daughter hive from one of my neighbors who was a bee-keeper,
very docile Italian bees.

the inspector's only other question was where my fire extinguisher was...

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”