My Foray into Godin Restoration.

rmchambers
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Le Petit Godin

Post by rmchambers » Tue. Dec. 18, 2018 11:54 am

I moved into an apartment recently which is heated by gas and radiators, the hot water is also gas. I've discovered that it's VERY expensive to heat with gas. What to do... what to do....

The apartment has a nice fireplace, which the landlord said I could use if I got the chimney swept.
Interesting I thought because in my old house I had a woodstove insert (a Buck) and used to use that a lot in the winter on the weekends. Fire it up on Friday and let it burn out on Monday.

I poked around on Craigslist to see if I could find a decent used fireplace insert, why put money into a rental place and didn't see much but one did take my interest. Here's what I saw in the ad.
Stove as purchased.jpg
.JPG | 261.4KB | Stove as purchased.jpg
I took what I could off of it, re-attached the feet, one was loose, and then went after the rust with 0000 steel wool and naval jelly.
Stove prep2.jpg
.JPG | 293.4KB | Stove prep2.jpg
You can see the wonky foot on this picture
Stove prep4.jpg
.JPG | 221.5KB | Stove prep4.jpg

Stove prep3.jpg
.JPG | 248.3KB | Stove prep3.jpg
After a couple of coats of high-temp stove-bright charcoal paint it started to look pretty damn good. I also found out that "polishing" the enamel with Flitz metal polish made it really shine and took of the grime.
Stove painted 2.jpg
.JPG | 103.1KB | Stove painted 2.jpg
Stove painted.jpg
.JPG | 127.3KB | Stove painted.jpg
Next it was time to take it outside and light a fire in it so I could cook the paint on without stinking up the place.
Stove chimney3.jpg
.JPG | 503.5KB | Stove chimney3.jpg
Long story short it cooked on nicely, couple of spots had to be re-touched when it got cold. and in the process I heat baked the flue pipe as well. All that remains now is to get the chimney swept, the damper removed and a sheet metal block plate with a hole for the flue to go in the chimney and I will start having some nice warm fires!

I have to say thanks to the folks that have gone before me, the Godin knowledge was invaluable knowing what to look for pre-purchase and while fixing it up. I've already got someone who wants to buy it from me after seeing the pictures of it!

Here is where it will sit in the end.
Stove fireplace2.jpg
.JPG | 285KB | Stove fireplace2.jpg
One of my buddies is a mason who will score me a nice piece of stone to extend the hearth out so that it meets code.

Regards

Robert

archangel_cpj

Post by archangel_cpj » Wed. Dec. 19, 2018 12:23 pm

Nice job!!!

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”