Coalbrookedale Darby repair

Lanternhillplants

Post by Lanternhillplants » Sat. Nov. 10, 2018 3:08 pm

Just wondered if anybody has replaced the firebrick in a Coalbrookedale Darby Coal stove.After 28 years mine are showing signs of wear.I think it is a real project (there are 3 panels) and might be time for a new stove of another brand as they are no longer in production.A fantastic stove .Thanks

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sat. Nov. 10, 2018 9:30 pm

You would be hard pressed to find a better looking stove. If you otherwise like it I would replace the brick in one way or another. Modify standard brick or use the old brick as patterns to cast your own.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Sun. Nov. 11, 2018 7:20 am

The whole Coalbrookdale line including the Severn and Much Wenlock (and now mini Wenlock) are cuties that is for sure. I doubt if you could find those bricks this side of the pond but they will be available in the UK (Ebay?). Whether you could afford the shipping even if someone would agree to ship them is an issue. Good luck.

Here is one tiny hope for stuff over here. Give them a call.

Some parts and advice for Aga stoves may be available at the HEAT SHED of REVERE, PENNA.
phone # 1-610-847-2064. is still in use.

https://www.hearth.com/images/uploads/Coalbrookda ... Manual.pdf

Lanternhillplants

Post by Lanternhillplants » Sun. Nov. 11, 2018 11:35 am

Thanks for your help. I have in the past purchased directly from theCoalbrookedale foundry in great Britain ,they have recently shut there one large foundry down after 200 plus years ,sad!they were wonderful but all I needed was a new set of rocker bars. My biggest question is the actual replacement of the 3 panels of firebrick . I appears that you actually have to disassemble the stove,split it appart , to make the repair after 28 years of use I don't believe it would be a task that may prove successful.Has anyone performed this repair.I will make a call to the remaining foundry this week if my phone numbers work out.Thanks !!

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Sun. Nov. 11, 2018 11:54 am

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sun. Nov. 11, 2018 12:51 pm

Lanternhillplants wrote:
Sun. Nov. 11, 2018 11:35 am
My biggest question is the actual replacement of the 3 panels of firebrick . I appears that you actually have to disassemble the stove,split it appart , to make the repair after 28 years of use I don't believe it would be a task that may prove successful.
I would not do that even if i had the proper bricks. I would use standard split brick and custom cut where necessary. Cheap disc grinder and diamond blade cuts easily. Retort cement for thin joints. It need not be an exact duplicate of original, which is a screw up to begin with if it is required to take apart the stove to replace. Some good pictures might help.

AKGIRL
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coalbrookedale Darby

Post by AKGIRL » Mon. Sep. 21, 2020 2:08 pm

Hey all,
I am looking for an ash pit hinge, replacement glass panel and an operating tool for my Darby. I found this stove in Fairbanks, Alaska, moved it first to Kodiak then to Juneau. It has put on the miles, and thankfully only minimal damage in transit.

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”