Weso Stove

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Fri. Nov. 24, 2017 11:37 am

OK. the first Weso stoves had trouble with coal, but yours should do well.

Light a piece of paper and hold it in the stove opening to see if the draft is working well. The smoke should not enter the room.

First task is to sort out the air controls and what each does. I do believe there is thermostatic control but with manual override which is why you see the "hand" position. I can't read the fine print on the tag affixed which probably has more information.

The grate shaking mechanism is probably pretty wimpy and ineffective for our anthracite. It will need help from a flat poker slid underneath the gap in that small inner door which we would call a "clinker door" in an American stove. Buy a 3 foot length of steel from the hardware store, 1/8 inch thick by 1/2 inch wide. Cut in half and heat a spot about 5 inches from the end red hot and bent around itself over something to form a handle. In use slide it under that door and work it over the grate to clear ash.

Start with nut coal. You can use wood, but that will smoke up the glass. Charcoal is better. Lay crumpled paper on grate and a few inches of charcoal and with bottom door open light it. When burning well, add a layer of coal and when that is giving off blue flame add another layer. Do this until fire pot is full to the grate bars in front. At some point you can close the bottom door and let the thermostat take over.

Do nothing until you acquire a CO detector.

Give us your general location, as possibly there is a nearby member who could help.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Fri. Nov. 24, 2017 4:56 pm

For shaking down the stove, it looks like in your photo, to the left of the open cavities, 2nd "nub" from the bottom, appears to be a handle with a ring on it. (black). Like the Godin stove I had, it had a pull rod/handle, that you worked back and forth by pulling out, and shoving back in, repetitiously, to shake the grates. Is that the purpose of that handle?
And if you can, take francos advice, and see if there's a member near you to help out. Don't be shy, I had a member help me, and was glad to do it. (Thanks again Scott) :)

Reg
Stoker Coal Boiler: Weso

Post by Reg » Thu. Dec. 28, 2017 7:05 am

I have been using a weso stove for twenty five years. Love it but now the handle that lifts the clean out tray and door is missing. Anyone know where I can get parts or how to make a new one.

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”