Multi-Fuel Coal Stove from Europe/UK?

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Nov. 15, 2017 10:56 am

The UK has pretty much the types of soft and hard coal we have here.

If you Google. "smokeless coal" + "UK". You'll find that what they mean by that is a processed coal that is shaped much like out BBQ bricketts. Not much details on how and what it's processed from and what percent is anthracite.

In searching about UK built ranges for my daughter, the one we found imported to the USA was listed as being designed for burning wood, bio, peat, and coal. Lots of info about quality and history on their website, but we couldn't pin down how good they are with anthracite, other than the US sales people said yes they'll burn anthracite. Then, when we asked the sales person if they ever tried to use anthracite in one the answer was no.

Paul

gardener

Post by gardener » Wed. Nov. 15, 2017 4:04 pm

Lightning wrote:
Wed. Nov. 15, 2017 10:02 am
At fast glance I think he's trying to figure out what comparable fuel they used for this stove in the UK because that's where they were designed, right?
Yes, but mostly I am curious, and want to understand how it may be different than here.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Nov. 15, 2017 4:16 pm

Best bet would be--get some imported from Eng. & purchase some here & try it. No other way to realistically see/tell the difference. All the rest is no more then what I refer to as "mental masturbation"

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Nov. 15, 2017 4:50 pm

gardener wrote:
Wed. Nov. 15, 2017 4:04 pm
Yes, but mostly I am curious, and want to understand how it may be different than here.

You can try Google-ing UK coal companies and see if they list their coal's analysis, like some US companies do, and then compare it to US coal.

Only took me a minute of the first internet search I did to find what they mean by "smokeless coal" in the UK.

Paul

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Wed. Nov. 15, 2017 8:04 pm

Just yesterday on a Green Type Forum i mentioned how great coal was and that you cannot get chimney fires from coal. Some guy in France got upset because he claimed they had chimney fires all the time from coal, so I happened to suggest that our heating coal here in the USA was a might better then their coal.

WOW are they touchy on coal quality! One guy came out of the woodwork to register and post that they indeed have anthracite coal and it is just as good as what we have here. He did not mince words either! Of course he admitted he was not all that bright either...he, he, he...he burned wood! :lol: (Oh wait, so do I on occasion)

As for peat, I know when we went to Ireland in February they were burning that. There is no greater ambiance then sitting at a pub with your bride, having a nice true Irish ale, and having your FREAKING EYES SMOKED OUT BY THAT HEATING CRAP THAT PUTS OUT MORE SMELL THAN HEAT!

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Nov. 15, 2017 10:10 pm

Sooooo, you're sayin ya didn't like the PEAT?????????????????????????? LOL

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Nov. 15, 2017 10:43 pm

Went to a Celtic festival in Franklin NY a few years ago. There was a vender there importing small bags of blocks of Irish peat. She had several blocks burning in a small BBQ grill.

Reminded me of my job as a kid burning piles of raked-up leaves every fall ....... cough... cough. :D

Paul

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Nov. 16, 2017 6:02 am

Soooo, I'm guessin Buffalo Chips would be out of the question?????????????????????? ;)

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Thu. Nov. 16, 2017 6:37 am

Maybe I am sitting on a fortune: sheep poo comes in convenient pellet form!

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Thu. Nov. 16, 2017 7:15 am

I believe that in the UK smokeless coal refers to coke.

Also, it's not so much that EU or UK stoves are smaller (albeit that they more often than not actually are smaller), but that they actually have rigorous standards that are monitored, so they have to be honest in rating their KW (BTU)'s. American stoves OTOH are almost to a one rated twice as high in BTU/KW's, all else (I.E., size) being equal. I reckon one could say that we are only half as honest over here. The other option is that they are all engineering idiots and we are twice as good as they are.

gardener

Post by gardener » Thu. Nov. 16, 2017 10:17 am

freetown fred wrote:
Wed. Nov. 15, 2017 4:16 pm
Best bet would be--get some imported from Eng. & purchase some here & try it. No other way to realistically see/tell the difference.
Cost of importing probably way too high to be worth trying.
I thought Morso might be a possibility, but they responded to let me know all of the North American models are EPA type wood burning stoves only. I imagine there are coal conversion kits, but why bother... if I needed a spare part, would be too difficult to get if it has to be imported.

I found a similar design to the Euro multifuel types sold at https://www.tinywoodstove.com/dwarf/ which appears to be imported by them. Since they are importing them, it would be more a toy, again access to spare parts probably as much difficulty as importing one from Europe myself.

freetown fred wrote:
Wed. Nov. 15, 2017 4:16 pm
All the rest is no more then what I refer to as "mental masturbation"

Call me the "master-bater" :what:

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Nov. 16, 2017 10:22 am

It's easy to look up what "smokeless coal" in the UK actually is, and where/why it's required.

"Smokeless coal". Ground up anthracite formed into bricketts.
https://www.housefuel.co.uk/knowledge-base/solid- ... eless-fuel

"House coal". Bit coal. Was commonly used up until the UK's clean air acts of the 1950's and 60's. Still the choice of coal for open coal grates in fireplaces and ranges with grill front fireboxes where anthracite would not burn well.
https://www.housefuel.co.uk/knowledge-base/solid- ... house-coal

Smoke control areas in the UK.
http://uksmokecontrolareas.co.uk/locations.html

Paul

gardener

Post by gardener » Thu. Nov. 16, 2017 10:27 am

Thanks everyone, I think those answers and links have satisfied my curiousity.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. Nov. 16, 2017 11:02 am

If you want a European stove, numbers were imported in the 70s and 80s from Belgium, the UK, France, Norway and Germany. Available used today at bargain prices.

In some respects better than US stoves and in others ,not as good. The larger fire boxes of US made stoves better fit multi- fuel use. Grate systems in US made stoves are generally better for coal use.

gardener

Post by gardener » Thu. Nov. 16, 2017 12:57 pm

It isn't that I want or prefer a European model. We have a unused wide fireplace in the basement. The choices here are large inserts, that I anticipate would produce more heat than I want. Or to put a small stove in the fireplace firebox, but all of the small coal stoves that I know of manufactured in the states are too tall for the fireplace.

I did see a number of European stoves that were more wide than tall, and I could take the legs off.
Also the heat output rating is lower, be more in line with how I expect to use it.

My current idea is to get a Hitzer or Keystoker insert, and idle it as low as is reasonable.

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”