New House with Franco Belge coal stove

fnf8guy

Post by fnf8guy » Sun. Nov. 05, 2017 6:05 pm

True indeed. I'm just looking to make do for this first winter. Long term solutions will come later.

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Sun. Nov. 05, 2017 6:11 pm

First that window chimney .Stop .Do you think if you have a fire with that set up your insurance company will pay a claim .Talk to a brick yard get 3 chimney quotes.Also try stove dealers try yellow pages .Fire is a serious matter . jack

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sun. Nov. 05, 2017 6:13 pm

Get the oil burner going. You need heat now. Then inspect the stove to make sure it is OK. You only need about twelve feet of pipe.

fnf8guy

Post by fnf8guy » Sun. Nov. 05, 2017 6:19 pm

Den034071 wrote:
Sun. Nov. 05, 2017 6:11 pm
First that window chimney .Stop .Do you think if you have a fire with that set up your insurance company will pay a claim .Talk to a brick yard get 3 chimney quotes.Also try stove dealers try yellow pages .Fire is a serious matter . jack
[/quote

Thanks for the advice. I totally get and appreciate what you're saying. I think I'd be ok with insurance. The house has been sold twice with this configuration. No concerns were expressed in the insurance inspection. I definitely won't just slap an extension on the outside and light that sucker up. I'll have a company come look at it. I'm not looking to build a chimney right now, as I'm looking to reconfigure this part of the house down the road. Now just isn't the time to take that on. If a technician comes out and expresses concerns, I'll just leave it cold till I can take on the full project.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Nov. 05, 2017 7:51 pm

Another welcome from me, FN guy. I agree with Franco. As cheap as oil is right now, get your furnace running. It'll add more value to the house anyway, plus be easier to operate.
2ndly, I agree with that window vent. Horrible. Get that pipe to run out the top. Looks like it's your only reasonable option, because of the probable room behind it. Unfortunately, to be legal, it'll have to have a pretty long run outside, (straight up) but with the bracing available, will be secure.
Good luck with the new house, and don't throw in the towel on the stove. They throw some nice heat, will be advantageous in power outages, and if nothing more, a great focal point especially in the cold, when the blue ladies are dancing. You came to the right place for your info. :yes:

fnf8guy

Post by fnf8guy » Sun. Nov. 05, 2017 7:55 pm

Thanks. I'll definitely think about what you all have suggested.

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”