HAAS+SOHN???

mwzad

Post by mwzad » Sun. Oct. 08, 2017 5:32 pm

Good afternoon all,

I recently purchased a new home with a coal stove previously installed. It is a haas+sohn, unfortunately I do not have a lot more information than that.... I used to burn wood at my previous house with an antique all nighter stove. I have always been told once you start burning coal you will never look back. Attached are a couple pictures of the stove. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks again!

Attachments

IMG_2195.JPG
.JPG | 705KB | IMG_2195.JPG
IMG_2196.JPG
.JPG | 917.9KB | IMG_2196.JPG
IMG_2197.JPG
.JPG | 810.9KB | IMG_2197.JPG

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sun. Oct. 08, 2017 7:32 pm

If memory serves that stove was made in three sizes. thermostat air control. Very heavy and well built. hopper fed.

I have never used one, i do think the sloping fire box walls will lead to problems clearing ash and will probably need assistance in clearing that ash with a flat poker which can also be slid under the small door just at grate level.

What I described is for the Pluto model which yours is not but probably similar. Some models were made for wood. Some pictures of the inside would help.

mwzad

Post by mwzad » Mon. Oct. 09, 2017 9:55 am

Thanks for the reply! Here are a couple more pictures of the inside. If you need more pictures to get a better idea of the stove and operation just let me know. Thanks

Attachments

IMG_2210.JPG
.JPG | 756.4KB | IMG_2210.JPG
IMG_2212.JPG
.JPG | 1043.1KB | IMG_2212.JPG
IMG_2213.JPG
.JPG | 982KB | IMG_2213.JPG

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Mon. Oct. 09, 2017 1:14 pm

A picture of the grate would be helpful. Straight down from the top opening.

mwzad

Post by mwzad » Mon. Oct. 09, 2017 1:51 pm

Let's try these....

Attachments

IMG_2217.JPG
.JPG | 665.8KB | IMG_2217.JPG
IMG_2219.JPG
.JPG | 985KB | IMG_2219.JPG
IMG_2220.JPG
.JPG | 1.1MB | IMG_2220.JPG

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Tue. Oct. 10, 2017 4:42 pm

Yes, pretty much as I thought.

Clean it out and see if the grate will shake. Even if it does, it will be pretty ineffectual.

Count on clearing ash by sliding a piece of 1/8 by 3/4 wide steel poker under that door just above the grate.

mwzad

Post by mwzad » Wed. Oct. 11, 2017 8:38 am

Franco,

Perfect thank you for your help. I do not have any experience with coal stoves. Do you usually start them on wood then add the coal into the top hopper? How do the air controls work? I can’t seem to find any on the stove like my all nighter wood stove with the two air dials right on front of the stove? I see that on the rear of the stove there is a dial damper on the pipe connection but other than that I cannot seem to find anything

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Oct. 11, 2017 1:34 pm

I use self light briquettes. Slowly add coal up to hopper & then fill hopper. Initial start up takes me about 20-30- minutes. Then I'm good till spring.

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Wed. Oct. 11, 2017 1:44 pm

Open the ash door and with the ash pan out, use a light to inspect the sides and back for an air opening. This will probably lead to a damper connected to a long shaft connected to that dial. Rotate the dial back and forth and look for the damper covering the air opening in the ash area to open and close. this will open and close according to the heat it senses in the stove. When starting make sure it is open. It can be regulated to a lower number later when the stove is putting out heat.

Yes, start a wood or charcoal fire and when well lit, add coal in small amounts at a time until a bed of coal is built up at least 8 inches deep for nut coal or 6 inches for pea. You can leave the ash door open when starting to insure lots of air getting to the fire, but close that ash door when the coal is burning to prevent over heating.

The stove should be clean including the smoke pipe and chimney. With a cold stove light a piece of paper to see if the chimney drafts well. Do get a CO detector.

mwzad

Post by mwzad » Fri. Oct. 13, 2017 8:46 pm

Ok got it guys thank you again for all the help! Just waiting for the weather to get alittle colder and I’ll give the stove a try!

pyro29
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby w/Blower
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Nut

Post by pyro29 » Mon. Oct. 16, 2017 6:49 am

Ha ha! I work with the OP, you'd think he'd get his wife to make dinner and invite my wife and I over for a few hours so I could get him going... (hint, hint Mike)

mwzad

Post by mwzad » Tue. Jan. 23, 2018 11:30 am

Hello again guys, just wanted to take some time to give you guys a quick up date. I decided to give the stove a try a couple days ago so I went out and purchased a couple bags of coal, 1 pea and 2 nut. At first I found the pea coal was very difficult to burn in the stove. I found the stove ran a lot better on the nut coal so that’s what I have been runnin in it. It seems like the normal operating temperature is around 400ish and the pipe around 150. I have looked online and still cannot find a user manual anywhere. The stove seems like the automatic thermostat closes too soon to prevent overfiring. If I leave the top door closed and leave the bottom ash door open I can get the stove to run around 600 and it won’t go any further than that, and that is with the ash door open for some time. Is this normal operating temps? Also I have only been filling it to the bottom of the fire pot as seen in the picture attached. Should I be filling the stove all the way to the top? Thanks again guys, appreciate all the help again!

Attachments

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Tue. Jan. 23, 2018 3:52 pm

It's hard to tell from the pictures how deep the fuel bed area is. Nut size likes to be at least 8 inches deep. If there is room for more depth you could go up to 12 inches. The deeper bed will give you longer burn times provided you can clear ash effectively at tending. It shouldn't be a problem to get 12 hours between tendings with moderate heat output.

Running it with the ash pan door open is not ideally how to get decent efficiency. With the Ash pan door open a huge volume of air is going thru the stove which is carrying a lot of heat with it up the chimney. You also run the risk of over firing and warping internal parts. Just be careful with that.

mwzad

Post by mwzad » Tue. Jan. 23, 2018 4:05 pm

With the nut coal I would say the bed of coal was around 6-8 inches tall hopefully this picture will give you a better idea. Should I be loading past the top door where I stopped and go all the way up with loading via the steel door on top?

Attachments

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Wed. Jan. 24, 2018 9:25 pm

I had a Buderus that was similar. 1st of all you really only have 50KBTUS at best. With that being said use it for what it is. The thermostatic damper will help from over firing the stove. I found nut worked best as well. Ash removal is always an issue in these European stoves. Knifing above the grate with flat steel bar can prove very helpful. Fill the hopper and enjoy the heat. I also found that weekly I would run the hopper down so I could also clear ash from the top with a low fire.
Last edited by 2001Sierra on Wed. Jan. 24, 2018 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”